Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

NEED HELP INTERPRETING OSCAR DATA
RE: NEED HELP INTERPRETING OSCAR DATA
Joey,
I would set Flex at 2. Try it for 4-5 days. If you are not happy, then try Flex at 1 for 4-5 days. Take notes.
If you're really into experimenting, try Flex 3 for a few days.

I would like to see a graph with each of those settings. I don't think we'll see a lot of difference.
The tell will be in if you noticed a difference and what it felt like.

From experience here on the forum, a setting of 3 seems to cause discomfort. It tends to give a feeling of cutting off your inhale and switching to exhale way too soon.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2021, 06:13 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Joey,
I would set Flex at 2.  Try it for 4-5 days.  If you are not happy, then try Flex at 1 for 4-5 days.  Take notes.
If you're really into experimenting, try Flex 3 for a few days.  

I would like to see a graph with each of those settings.  I don't think we'll see a lot of difference.
The tell will be in if you noticed a difference and what it felt like.  

From experience here on the forum, a setting of 3 seems to cause discomfort.  It tends to give a feeling of cutting off your inhale and switching to exhale way too soon.

OK I will do that!  

I plan to experiment a bit here with the minimum pressure. So I will keep the Flex at 2 this week while I try to zero in on the ideal min pressure.

Then next week I will move the Flex to 1 and do the same.

Hopefully by the end of this two week experimental period I will have something to solid to move forward with.

Thank you!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds good!  
It does take some time to zero in on the right settings.  

Take notes and when you wake up, write down how you felt with the different settings.  It's just something that you tell yourself you'll remember, but most of us don't.

Have a good night!  Sleep-on-pillow
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on what I think the flex algorithm is doing, I don't think you are going to see much improvement until the min pressure is increased to 8, and the flex setting is decreased to 1. This will ensure that the green pressure line (EPAP) stays at or above 7 all night, and IMO that is the key to lowering your AHI. By setting min pressure to 7.5 with flex setting of two, your AHI is going to be hovering around 6.0 because the algorithm has a goal AHI of 5.

Edited to add: if you keep flex at 2, I don't think you will see any real improvement unless the min pressure is 9.0 or higher for the same reason as above (EPAP falling below 7)
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2021, 09:15 PM)notam2 Wrote: Edited to add: if you keep flex at 2, I don't think you will see any real improvement unless the min pressure is 9.0 or higher for the same reason as above (EPAP falling below 7)

This would be true if Joey were using a ResMed machine (EPR), but he's not.
With Respironics, there isn't that much difference whether he uses Flex 1 or Flex 2. So he should experiment with that to see what feels right.

I think Joey also realizes that a higher minimum pressure is probable, but he needs to do this at his own pace.

There's certainly nothing wrong with raising a pressure a little at a time and see what affect it will have.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2021, 09:37 PM)OpalRose Wrote: There's certainly nothing wrong with raising a pressure a little at a time and see what affect it will have.

Agreed.  However, I really think Joey's data has provided a window to see the inner workings of the PR algorithm, and I think its exciting that if my hypothesis is correct, we can use this information to help each other get better results.  I'm specifically referring to the fact that I think the PR algorithm has a primary goal of keeping the AHI under 5, after which the algorithm has a secondary goal of optimizing comfort.

Also, my estimate of an AHI of 6.0 was probably a little pessimistic.  If my hypothesis is correct the AHI will probably be somewhere between 3.0 and 6.0 until the following equation is satisfied:  Min Pressure - Flow Level >= 7.  I too am interested to see what the results will show in due course.
Post Reply Post Reply
The very brief time I used 2 different Respironics machines aside, I've seen lots of examples where the Respironics doesn't stop events like a ResMed can for the same person. Yes, there are day/night examples where the same forum member switched from Respironics to ResMed and AHI dropped and comfort and success increased dramatically.

I've zero evidence Respironics tries to keep anyone's AHI below 5, but I've personally seen many failed therapies from that same Respironics brand. To be clear, for some Respironics is just fine, but most will have drastically better therapy via a switch to ResMed.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2021, 12:17 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: The very brief time I used 2 different Respironics machines aside, I've seen lots of examples where the Respironics doesn't stop events like a ResMed can for the same person. Yes, there are day/night examples where the same forum member switched from Respironics to ResMed and AHI dropped and comfort and success increased dramatically.

I've zero evidence Respironics tries to keep anyone's AHI below 5, but I've personally seen many failed therapies from that same Respironics brand. To be clear, for some Respironics is just fine, but most will have drastically better therapy via a switch to ResMed.

I sincerely appreciate this insight Dave!!! 

With the recent recall i was already strongly considering biting the bullet and buying a Res Med. The certainty in your statement here may just be the final decision maker for me here.

Quick Question - My DME has a Red Med 10 S 10 Auto for sale for $495. 

In your opinion is this a good machine and is this a good price? Probably a refurbished unit at that price?

(06-13-2021, 06:33 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Sounds good!  
It does take some time to zero in on the right settings.  

Take notes and when you wake up, write down how you felt with the different settings.  It's just something that you tell yourself you'll remember, but most of us don't.

Have a good night!  Sleep-on-pillow

So i am back and am about to post the results from Mon through Thursday as a reply to Notam's post. 

Hopefully you can chime in with your thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2021, 11:32 PM)notam2 Wrote:
(06-13-2021, 09:37 PM)OpalRose Wrote: There's certainly nothing wrong with raising a pressure a little at a time and see what affect it will have.

Agreed.  However, I really think Joey's data has provided a window to see the inner workings of the PR algorithm, and I think its exciting that if my hypothesis is correct, we can use this information to help each other get better results.  I'm specifically referring to the fact that I think the PR algorithm has a primary goal of keeping the AHI under 5, after which the algorithm has a secondary goal of optimizing comfort.

Also, my estimate of an AHI of 6.0 was probably a little pessimistic.  If my hypothesis is correct the AHI will probably be somewhere between 3.0 and 6.0 until the following equation is satisfied:  Min Pressure - Flow Level >= 7.  I too am interested to see what the results will show in due course.

Hello Notam2!

So I wanted to return with results for you and the rest who were so kind to offer their time and insights and seem interested in how things evolve here for me.

I am going to post a series of screenshots in three consecutive replies. 

Two screenshots for each day from Monday - Thursday.

First being the overview and second being the statistics

Here are the Monday screenshots followed by separate emails for each day afterwards.

The results were clearly an improved set of numbers and much more restful sleep with average AHI reduced by about 50% over this period versus the previous period we reviewed.

I went from just under 7 AHI to right around 3.5 AHI.

The settings changes to remind you all was moving from 7 Fixed to 6.5 Auto with a Max of 15 and reducing the Flex to 2.

I still want to improve these figures if i can and am open to potentially moving the minimum to 7.5 and the Flex to 1 if there is a strong consensus here that it could help.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Joey - What are the AS10's run hours? If they are less than 1000 hours, then it's a good price. Basically use a rule-of-thumb of 365.25 days(for leap year) times 8 hours usage per day equals, 2922 hours per year of use.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  oscar data sleeper2460 0 34 2 hours ago
Last Post: sleeper2460
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 105 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 101 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 65 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 402 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 141 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 144 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.