Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A Question on Respiratory Rate
RE: A Question on Respiratory Rate
(09-05-2016, 06:45 PM)rich2905 Wrote: Hi
I am running on fixed 15 still as shown in pic below.

I have not included pressure in graph as they are fixed.
The mask pressure stays about 13+
And pressure is 15 all the time.

Thanks again for comments,
Richard

On your new machine, do you have the hose type set correctly for the hose you are using? Is the mask type set correctly for the type of mask that you are using? If these are set correctly, you may need to have your new machine checked out.

The mask pressure and the set pressure should be the same. At least they are on my S9. The settings mentioned above are to tell the machine what pressure drop to expect after the machine so the machine can correct and give you the requested pressure at the mask.

As far as respiratory rate, I will go with what Mongo said. Both he and I have seen this problem on our own machines.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The following chart illustrates what I was talking about here

The sudden increase started on 31/8 when I got my new machine.
Does any one have any idea why this could happen

Many thanks
Rich

[attachment=2857]
Post Reply Post Reply
Could you post a daily flow waveform chart expanded greatly at a time when your respiratory rate has spiked. Need the whole chart for flow to cover a period of 1 minute 10 seconds to 1 minute 20 seconds. We might find something definitive this way.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Sure. I had the same thing. If you look at the median/average respiration rate, it is barely changed. The maximum rate is apparently averaged over a shorter time or instantaneously with the Resmed compared with Respironics or your older machine. Maximum and minimum end-points are really not a very important measure. Take a look at the average, and it appears your respiratory rate may have increased by 1-3 breaths per minute. Hard to say why without knowing all the settings.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep,
The average seems very similar so am not worried about it just trying to see what going from a resmed s9 to the 10 could cause this difference.

It could be just different reporting techniques or algorithms between the two machines. I was hoping someone would say Oh yes this is because...

I have other issues more important to worry about so will leave this as how it is now.

Thanks all for your time.

Richard
Post Reply Post Reply
Richard, I brought this issue up during troubleshooting of the Sleepyhead betas. The stats are reported by the machine, not the software. The Aircurve does report a number of things differently, and some of them seem impossible. Look at all the zeros on the minimums. It seems like some of the statistics are not as useful as they used to be, or still are for other machines.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
How old was the S9. One reason for this temporary increase in respiratory rate could be that your S9 was actually putting out < 15cm in reality. Your breathing pattern was adjusted to a steady state respiratory rate and tidal volume (to make sure your minute ventilation was sufficient).

The new machine is providing 15 cm since its new and factory tested. The body may react to higher pressure initially (for a few days at least) by taking shallower breaths (lower TV) but more breaths per minute (higher RR) to get the same MV. Over time, the pattern will become steady again.
Post Reply Post Reply
The s9 was rented so no idea on age

I did not the min values on one machine was zero

Even if stars are not 100% accurate you can still use the results relatively as higher bake is worse than a lower value I guess.

Richard
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 82 3 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 242 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 860 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  flow rate and leak rate question sleepingbetterinFl 0 90 03-21-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.