Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

NEW Failure of a Philps ASV machine
NEW Failure of a Philps ASV machine
Last night I found a second way for an ASV sleep machine to fail.

The first way these have failed and I have seen it twice is the machine can react like you have a problem when there is NO problem..it kind of goes ape. Breathing for you and raising the pressure.

This loss of power is a new one. This one was very snaky, a slow death…I found that I was having a problem breathing, I was taking long slow deep breaths, and every once in a while I felt like I could not get a good breath. There just was not any air being pushed into my lungs, almost no air flow.   

I am SO glad I have a backup Philips ASV machine, I switched to it and it was a major improvement. It fills me so fast I only need short breaths. No straining for a breath, it came on so slowly I did not notice until it got fairly bad.

So this other machine will be going to the repair shop.

I am also hoping this has been the cause of my being low on energy day times, but it may take a few days to things to return to normal.

I have found a repair company here in Phoenix AZ, last time a new Mother board and new fan cost only $250.00, it seems that these systems fail about every 2 to 3 years...this is my third failure. This is a god send as my insurance will not cover either a replacement nor a repair.

The repair shop is Medical Repair Systems, 602- 274-8584.

I have loss a 2 950s and a 960 machine. The first 950 did not even make it out of its 2 year warrentee, and the 960 did but failed within 3 years. I bought another use rebuilt 950 and it is the one that just failed. I had the 960 rebuilt but only used it a short time and was using the rebuilt 950 up until now.

Hope yours does better.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: NEW Failure of a Philps ASV machine
Maybe it is time for a ResMed. Suppler #2 has used ones..
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Considering that these machines do not last more than 3 years I would be vey unlikely to get a used one.

Unless it is a new Dreamstation ASV.

So who is #2??

Second Wind Cpap?

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes that is supplier 2. I think if you asked people who own ResMed you would find they last much longer than 2 to 3 years. I owned a Phillips dreamstation and had problems with it also and NEVER had good therapy using it. I never got less than 15 events a night. Got a VAUTO and have 5 straight days with 0 events. This is just my opinion but I think it would be echoed by other people on this site.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
A pretty large majority of ASV users on the forum prefer the Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV as more responsive, natural, comfortable and resulting in lower AHI. Supplier #2 (SecondWind CPAP) offers low-hour used machines for $1350, and new machines for about $2400. They are a very good company with a strong record of service. Your insurance should cover a replacement at this time due to the failure of your current machine. You should check into it. As you know, when going through a brick and mortar DME, the cost of these machines can exceed $4000 ask, but your insurance should have a negotiated price for in-network coverage. It's worth checking. With the ASV you should keep copies of your prescription available as well as copies of all sleep studies. You don't want to repeat the process you went through to get approve for ASV.

Your machine will work with OSCAR software if you have a SD card in the slot. The data from OSCAR will show you (and us) exactly where your therapy stands in terms of AHI, as well as your respiratory response (tidal volume, minute vent, respiration rate, settings and much more). Please consider downloading the free program and posting a chart. I have rarely seen the chart posted that could not be improved with optimization.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I am a long standing member here sense 2013.

I got my first machine FROM Secondwind CPAP and yes they give great service, my first 950 came from them and it was replaced with a 960 just under two years.

As my sleep doctors are all jerks I have learned a lot about sleep apnea and sleep machines and have been doing my own adjustments and most of the time I run around .40CA, .40 OB. and 1.50 Hi or less.
So by the machines reports I am doing very well with avg. total scores of 2.5 AHIs.

My main problem has been sleep cycles, My Medicare and assess WILL NOT pay for a new or replacement machine unless I can show cause within a sleep study, which do not test for what kind of sleep cycles like REM or DEEP, which my cheap APAP will NOT allow.

Yet my ASV does.

When they offered me the APAP machine because of the failure rates I had seen with the 950 and 960 I did try a ResMed machine and for some odd reason could not stand it. After a week of bad nights I swapped for the Dream Station APAP, which at least I was able to sleep just not getting real restful sleep.

I use OSCAR every morning and had used Sleepy Hear before it.

I also us a ResMed Sleep Cycle monitor called Sleep Score MAX, which replaced their earlier model which replace a FitBit.

As I am currently stuck with a malfunctioning 950 , good rebuilt 960 and a Dream Station APAP, my current best bet is to rebuild them. $250.00/$350.00 is a lot better than $1500.00 to $2800.00.
Post Reply Post Reply
Whatever works for you is all that matters. I hope you continue to get what you need.
Post Reply Post Reply
I recognized you have been on the forum for a long time. Just hoping you will update the old Sleepyhead. Sawinglogz on the Oscar Development team has done a good job updating the PRS1 machines.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My 960 lasted 5 years before I replaced it with a DreamStation. Sorry to hear you're having such troubles with yours!

Are you having lots of centrals on APAP?
Post Reply Post Reply
At this time LOW AHIs under 3 nightly normally, I do fine with a WORKING ASV.

Instead of me re-posting my big report please check out:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-treatment

My MAJOR problem is getting REM and DEEP Sleep cycles all covered in my other post.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  F30 Full Face Mask - total failure?? BobH56 20 3,291 12-05-2023, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rhwoe
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,189 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  CPAP Failure, ASV Attempter, Still Failure ophiuchus 16 1,421 07-10-2023, 05:59 AM
Last Post: ophiuchus
  Set myself up for failure? Newbie768 4 540 01-15-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Ockrocket
  [Pressure] Maximum pressure in heart failure? edgnoj 0 483 11-04-2022, 04:58 AM
Last Post: edgnoj
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,794 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  Resmed F20 Touch (foam) failure points snorin2 2 741 09-03-2022, 01:54 PM
Last Post: snorin2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.