Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

NEW MASK PARTS [what do you replace]
NEW MASK PARTS [what do you replace]
I was wondering if anyone just replaces the strap and soft parts on their mask as I do? I have to co-pay for my cpap equipment so it saves money. Is replacing the main part of the mask important? if so, does anyone have any fact based information about it rather than the cpap maker's suggestion or recommendation?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: NEW MASK PARTS [what do you replace]
Depends on the mask. Silicone parts should be replaced regularly as they tend to harden and/or lose their seal. Hard plastic parts generally last longer. Hoses and the like should be (in my opinion) replaced as often as possible. The cloth headgear, if it is a mask I am paying out of pocket, I let it ride until I can't clean it any more. Any part that goes into my nostrils or touches my face (such as the silicone seals), I replace often.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I second what Paula said. Also, if the mask has a diffuser, that should be cleaned and/or replaced periodically according to the instructions of the manufacturer. Sometimes there will be an instruction booklet included with the full mask package, and that's usually also available as a PDF on the mfr's web site. But silicone is the main thing that wears out. There's at least one mask, the Philips Dreamwear, whose frame is made of silicone (the air flows through it), thereby giving the frame a limited lifetime. Not such a great feature compared to some others.

When paying out-of-pocket, it could be useful to compare the total cost of all the necessary replacement parts over a medium-long time (a year?) with the cost of another full mask package.

pavelow360, FYI: There are several Resmed Mirage models, so it might help with any future questions if you would add the model designator in your profile, like "Mirage FX" or whatever it is. Just a thought.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not to hijack this thread, but I typically replace the silicone seal (and the diffuser) every 90days or so, and the mask frame, headgear and hose every six months. Is this a reasonable schedule? I'm on Medicare, so I can't get much more than that. The mask is the F&P Brevida which I like.
MikeyT

In the Thumb of Michigan.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2018, 09:29 AM)MikeyT Wrote: Not to hijack this thread, but I typically replace the silicone seal (and the diffuser) every 90days or so, and the mask frame, headgear and hose every six months.  Is this a reasonable schedule?

Yes, no problem at all. That's generous, as the Medicare replacement schedule is. (Medicaid, OTOH, is stingy.) I assume that BCBS and the other insurance companies use the Medicare schedule.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!  I like the George Carlin quote in your sig, as well as your user name.
MikeyT

In the Thumb of Michigan.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:I assume that BCBS and the other insurance companies use the Medicare schedule.  

I have BCBS, and according to my DME they will not replace anything until the initial rental period is up -- nine or ten months, I believe.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2018, 01:30 PM)trance Wrote:
Quote:I assume that BCBS and the other insurance companies use the Medicare schedule.  

I have BCBS, and according to my DME they will not replace anything until the initial rental period is up -- nine or ten months, I believe.

How generous of them. You may actually have new parts once during a year's time. I get mine off a Medicare style replacement schedule from the Community Healthcare provided by the county assistance office due to disability.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the recommended replacement schedules are to profit the suppliers. I have used the same F20 mask and cushion for 14 months with no issues. I see no hardening, tearing, and only very slight discoloration of the silicone. I used the same hose for a year and would probably still be using it if I hadn't replaced it with a heated hose. I use humidifier chambers until they start to leak or I can't get them clean. I change filters every other month whether they appear dirty or not since they are cheap and it's as much work to check them as to change them.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
While I agree that silicone can harden over time and contribute to leaks, I'm of the mindset that 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. I would need to pay out of pocket to replace my P10 nose pillows and while I'm a relative CPAP newbie, my original set has been working fine after 6 months. I believe I'll be able to hear leaks if the pillows harden - so is there any pressing need to replace them now or replace them on a regular schedule?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 86 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Replace mask: recommendations too often? BlueSky1958 1 246 01-28-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 581 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  When do I REALLY need to replace items? BlueSky1958 19 1,072 12-13-2023, 10:39 AM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  Internal cpap repair parts mzipp 8 5,583 08-10-2023, 05:29 PM
Last Post: sms832
  Need to Replace SD Card SingingWolf 6 805 04-17-2023, 04:36 PM
Last Post: SingingWolf
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,526 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.