Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

NEW MASK PARTS [what do you replace]
RE: NEW MASK PARTS [what do you replace]
I have five months invested in PAP at this point, all with the same gear.  I've only changed the filter once. All other components seem to be in good order and working well. 

I went into my sleep center and purchased an AirFit N20 cushion and a bag of filters to have them handy in case.  I asked the desk clerk how often people are replacing head gear, hoses, and cushions.  Without lowering her voice conspiratorially, or quickly glancing around, she said many people get long months out of their masks and hoses, often up to a year.  She didn't seem to feel she should encourage me to swap them out according to RESMED's suggested schedules.  I appreciated her candor and thanked her for it.

I think that if leaks appear more frequently, if tears or fraying show, or if the cushion seems stiff or discolored, or no longer clicks securely into place in its frame, one should simply replace them at that time.  Keeping things off the floor, cleaned reasonably often, and otherwise in good repair should have them lasting six months or more in my opinion...if I can go by what the young lady offered.  The hoses aren't exactly cheap, and I learned I have to purchase the entire head gear if I need to replace the smaller mask hose-with-vent.  Again, treat them with respect, protect them from destructive forces, and they should last long enough to replace between every six months to a year.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll throw in I do filter changes every few weeks. The rest is what I started with last August with that ASV machine besides a trial period of that AirTouch cushion of 2 days.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2018, 01:30 PM)trance Wrote:
Quote:I assume that BCBS and the other insurance companies use the Medicare schedule.  

I have BCBS, and according to my DME they will not replace anything until the initial rental period is up -- nine or ten months, I believe.

Don't believe anything a DME tells you.  Call the insurance rep.  The replacement interval for "consumables" like filters, mask, tubing etc is not tied to whether the machine is rented or owned.  If the interval is 3-months, you get a replacement...if it's 6-months same thing.  My insurance actually replaces nasal cushions and filters monthly and the mask, humidifier chamber and tubing every 6-months.  I  usually don't get all that, but it's there if needed. 

While you're on the phone with BCBS, ask if they require the machine to be rented, or if they will convert to purchase since you have demonstrated compliance.  The DME often does a rental because it is more profitable.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your input. I will certainly check with my insurance carrier. (It is so nice to have veterans to give us newbies advice.) Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 88 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Replace mask: recommendations too often? BlueSky1958 1 246 01-28-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 582 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  When do I REALLY need to replace items? BlueSky1958 19 1,072 12-13-2023, 10:39 AM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  Internal cpap repair parts mzipp 8 5,584 08-10-2023, 05:29 PM
Last Post: sms832
  Need to Replace SD Card SingingWolf 6 805 04-17-2023, 04:36 PM
Last Post: SingingWolf
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,528 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.