Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

NOCTURNAL LEG CRAMPS & OSA: A COUPLE OF ARTICLES
NOCTURNAL LEG CRAMPS & OSA: A COUPLE OF ARTICLES
As I mentioned in my thread, Plmnb's Never Ending OSA Journey (Data): Post No.165 I have suffered from awful leg cramps.  I had read something, I thought it might be on this board, but I don't remember, about cramps and lack of oxygen.

I wrote that I was going to research this and I have found some interesting information that has REALLY shed some light on one of the symptoms I didn't even know was a symptom or possible result of OSA.

If you are interested, here are two links to check out:

A scholarly article on Nocturnal Leg Cramps & OSA: CLICK HERE

An article in Salt Wrap, talks about cramps and Circadian Rhythm: CLICK HERE

I hope this helps some OSA sufferers who are experiencing these particular type of cramp.

Plmnb
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: NOCTURNAL LEG CRAMPS & OSA: A COUPLE OF ARTICLES
Have you been checked for diabetes? Low sugar at nite can cause cramps., Also low magnesium or potassium too. Dehydration.
Just other things to consider.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-21-2019, 09:08 PM)Gary1of2 Wrote: Have you been checked for diabetes?  Low sugar at nite can cause cramps., Also low magnesium  or potassium too. Dehydration.
Just other things to consider.

Hello Gary1of2.  Nice to meet you.

Yes, I have, very recently too.  The only thing the doctor found was that I was very low on Vitamin D.  She put me on prescription Vitamin D it was so low.  If you read the scholarly article it talks about the characteristics of NOCTURNAL CRAMPS specifically as opposed to regular cramps and I fit it to a T.  Especially the part where they do not go away like regular cramps.

I was looking at my sleep study report and my average oxygen awake is 94%.  My average oxygen while in REM is 88%.  My average oxygen while in Non-REM was 92%. My minimum O2 saturation asleep was 72%.  A HUGE reason I was getting headaches that nobody could figure out why I was getting them.  For the longest time I thought it had to do with my eyes but my eye dr. couldn't figure it out.  So, it makes total sense that I would be getting the awful cramps described in the articles.

It is so fascinating.

Regards,
Plmnb
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting, I also get brutal nocturnal leg cramps. My AHI puts me into the category moderate OSA, but before I treated my sleep apnea my oxygen levels weren’t good; average 88, under 88 for 137 minutes, low 74.
I’ve been on CPAP for 6 months, I don’t think it’s lessened my leg cramps, but I since I never made any connection between OSA and leg cramps I don’t think I have paid enough attention to notice if there was a difference.

To be honest, your links are underwhelming. The first is based on a ridiculously small test size of 4 and the second states the obvious, sleep disrupted by pain causes circadian rhythm problems. 
That said I very much relate to your problems and based purely on anecdotal evidence it makes sense to me. I would be very interested in reading any more info you may dig up on the topic, and would love to hear if there is anything you have found that helps keep horrible night cramps at bay.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-21-2019, 11:12 PM)ColoradoMom Wrote: To be honest, your links are underwhelming. The first is based on a ridiculously small test size of 4 and the second states the obvious, sleep disrupted by pain causes circadian rhythm problems. 
That said I very much relate to your problems and based purely on anecdotal evidence it makes sense to me. I would be very interested in reading any more info you may dig up on the topic, and would love to hear if there is anything you have found that helps keep horrible night cramps at bay.

A pleasure to meet you ColoradoMom.

I knew the one article from Salt Wrap was wimpy, but I was at work and it is one of the first things that popped up in my Google search.  The other one, seemed much more medical, but guess I didn't read it close enough to see that only 4 subjects were studied.  But you can believe I didn't plan on stopping with those.  When I catch up on everything else I plan on looking for more.  But it is a start, and maybe some other people with similar problem will post some links on this problem.

I NEVER would have put two and two together if I hadn't joined this board though.  Because I have, I now come across many things that make me go ah, ha!  

I will definitely post more on this, hopefully soon.

Plmnb
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In a quandry over a couple of things... SheShells23 53 940 Yesterday, 01:40 PM
Last Post: SheShells23
  [Diagnosis] nocturnal hypoxemia with hypoventilation, Moderate OSA vgrando 43 3,413 07-01-2023, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Can someone look at this, I woke up a couple times last night Phil487 0 431 06-21-2023, 11:42 AM
Last Post: Phil487
  Really need help with a couple of small issues I'm having. Thanks! Hopingforachange 5 589 03-13-2023, 07:51 PM
Last Post: Hopingforachange
  Rough couple nights Mike3ga8 1 480 08-29-2022, 09:09 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  First couple of nights, would any changes make sense at this point? tormund 3 695 02-06-2022, 04:25 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Notes on AirSense 11 Autoset after a couple of weeks jprestonian 27 8,887 01-24-2022, 02:28 PM
Last Post: lmcdowel

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.