Poll: Do you breathe better out of your RIGHT or LEFT nostril?
I breathe better out of my LEFT nostril.
I breathe better out of my RIGHT nostril.
I breathe the same out of BOTH nostrils - no difference
[Show Results]

NOSE-HOLE POLL
twindad Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: PRS1 Remstar Pro/Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage FX and Quattro FX
Humidifier: PRS1 heated/heated tube models
CPAP Pressure: 14 cpap / 10 to 16 auto
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: NOSE-HOLE POLL
At the time of this posting, I can breathe better thru my right nostril, but that can change quickly. My nostrils alternate back and forth as to which one is noticeably more open than the other. Usually the more open one is the one higher than the other if I am lying on my side. I do not have a deviated septum or polyps, and have never had nasal surgery. My nasal passages do narrow down to 2 or 3 mm wide where the cartilage turns into bone and they easily close off. I have noticed that they stay more open when I lie on my back and both close to some extent when I turn over to lie partly on my stomach. Sometimes they close off so badly that I have to change masks or roll back over on my back to breathe. If I catch a cold, one will stop up completely while the other does so only partially.
11-17-2012 02:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Kristen Offline

Members

Machine: remstar pro c-flex+
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Flexifit 431 full face
Humidifier: respironics stystem one
CPAP Pressure: 12
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

I think I read in a yoga book that people breathe more out of one nostril for about 1 1/2 hours and then it switches to the other nostril for about the same length of time. If this is true, perhaps what time you took the test would make a difference. Also there are alternate nostril breathing exercises in yoga books and on youtube
11-17-2012 08:54 PM
Ugly Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Micro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 7-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Hydrocephalus, myopia, depression, chronic ugliness, stupidity, tinnitus, mixed sleep apnea.

None of those answers apply to me. I breathe out of whatever nostril has fewer boogers. Sometimes both sides go on strike and I'm the one who has to -- "picket" SHa_biggrin5
11-19-2012 08:47 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Kristen Offline

Members

Machine: remstar pro c-flex+
Mask Make & Model: F&P Flexifit 431 full face
Humidifier: respironics stystem one
CPAP Pressure: 12

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

gross but very funny
11-21-2012 06:08 PM
Rputtock Offline

New Members

Machine: REMstar SE
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Phillips
Humidifier: System one
CPAP Pressure: 6

Other Comments:

(07-08-2012 09:11 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  
~ A "Nose-hole Poll" ~
Okay, this is kind of stupid, I know.

We all have two "nose-holes" (nostrils), right?

Most of the time for me, it seems to me that one nostril is more "stuffed up" than the other... in other words, I breathe better out of one than the other.

Currently, I'm breathing better out of my left nostril. Don't ask me why, but my right nostril is a bit more stuffed up.

So, HERE's YOUR TEST:
Please put your finger on one of your nostrils and push it completely closed so you can't breathe out of that nostril. Breathe a few breaths, then do the same out to the opposite nostril....

Now, here's where the POLL question comes in:

Did you breathe better out of your RIGHT or LEFT nostril? Or, was it the same out of both (no difference)?

PLEASE VOTE NOW.

Also, please comment on the following:

1. Please explain to me why you think that one nostril is better for breathing out of than the other.

2. Why does this happen, if one is better than the other for you?

3. If one is better than the other, has it always been that way for you, or do your nose-holes switch off, taking turns on which one is better for breathing through?

Inquiring minds want to know the truth behind this nose-hole mystery. Happy Eyes

Answer: the left at the moment, but they switch off. Sometimes they are balanced, but usually one sinus is more "productive" than the other.

"the nose knows"
11-24-2012 07:36 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
bryank1 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed S9 autoset CPAP
Mask Make & Model: Quattro FX
Humidifier: Resmed HSi
CPAP Pressure: 9-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Wrist oximeter: CMS50IW

Both sides are equal. I probably sleep on both sides about the same.
11-24-2012 12:21 PM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(07-08-2012 09:11 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  So, HERE's YOUR TEST: [/b] Please put your finger on one of your nostrils and push it completely closed so you can't breathe out of that nostril. Breathe a few breaths, then do the same out to the opposite nostril....
Bump2 Chapter 5: The Turbinates: What You Must Know
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Un-stuffing-Your-Stuffy-Nose

One important feature of the turbinates that not too many people know about is what's called the nasal cycle. The turbinates alternate in size from side to side every few hours. One side shrinks and the other side swells. Normally you won't notice this, unless both your turbinates are somewhat congested. If you have a deviated septum, then you'll notice this more.

Gravity also affects the size of your nasal turbinates. When you lay down, blood pools in the vessels, leading to slight engorgement. However, your involuntary nervous system detects this relative change and automatically constricts your blood vessels to improve breathing. The same process occurs when you exercise—due to activation of the sympathetic nervous system, the turbinates shrink, opening up your breathing passageways.

Sometimes, the balance between the two halves of the involuntary nervous system(the sympathetic and parasympathetic parts) is out of alignment, and this automatic mechanism doesn't work properly. So when you lay down or exercise, the vessels don't constrict fully. Other times, the turbinates become extra sensitive to allergies, weather changes, chemicals, scents or odors. Once it's irritated, an inflammatory reaction occurs which leads to engorgement and production of mucous. This is called vasomotor or nonallergic rhinitis. Throat acid reflux has been shown to be associated with this condition.

Ultimately, how well you breathe through your nose is determined by a combination of the size of your turbinates, your septal geometry, and the how flimsy your nostrils are. (See the other sections on the septum and flimsy nostrils.) Your nose is not just a passive tube that acts a channel for air to pass into the lungs—it's a very dynamic structure, able to change minute by minute.
11-28-2013 07:30 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
eviltim Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP
Mask Make & Model: Resmed AirFit F10
Humidifier: H5i heated humidifer
CPAP Pressure: 5 exhale/9 inhale
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

I breathe better in my left nostril. It's not really a mystery since I have a pretty deviated septum and some other undesirable things going on with my nose. It doesn't bother me that much so I'm in no rush to get it fixed.
11-29-2013 12:10 AM
drgrimes Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: S9 Resmed Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Philips Dreamwear
Humidifier: resmed
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

(07-08-2012 10:00 AM)southernlady Wrote:  No difference for me but had a deviated septum corrected years ago.
Lady, I am considering the same surgery. How did it effect your cpap?
11-29-2013 09:07 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Fbwalker4 Offline

New Members

Machine: Resumed s9 auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed
Humidifier: None
CPAP Pressure: 8-11

Other Comments:

I breathe better through left nostril. My right is blocked by deviated septum so much that my ENT cannot put the scope in that side.
During the night though, my stuffiness changes to whichever side I am lying on. For instance, if I am lying on my left side, the stuffiness is in the left nostril and my right is more clear in that case. (Though never as clear as my left can be sleeping on my right side)
When sleeping on my back, generally, the right is more clogged.
12-01-2013 12:36 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Cloggd Nose elling with ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet edmund36 5 122 Yesterday 08:41 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  airfit P10 sore nose duece12345 12 703 12-03-2016 09:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  sore nose Shirl 4 257 11-15-2016 05:06 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  AHI index has taken a nose dive the past month pdbabb66 32 1,380 11-09-2016 05:58 PM
Last Post: pdbabb66
Gross [CPAP] First timer, gosh my nose hurts. daniemmdee 10 559 10-13-2016 02:05 AM
Last Post: player
  Blocked nose Lojos71 7 505 10-07-2016 03:44 PM
Last Post: pupcamper
  Better to breath through mouth or nose with FFM? somnus 6 717 09-30-2016 10:01 PM
Last Post: SaldusMiegas