Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Do you breathe better out of your RIGHT or LEFT nostril?
This poll is closed.
I breathe better out of my LEFT nostril.
41.67%
45 41.67%
I breathe better out of my RIGHT nostril.
22.22%
24 22.22%
I breathe the same out of BOTH nostrils - no difference
36.11%
39 36.11%
Total 108 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

NOSE-HOLE POLL
Question 
NOSE-HOLE POLL
~ A "Nose-hole Poll" ~
Okay, this is kind of stupid, I know.

We all have two "nose-holes" (nostrils), right?

Most of the time for me, it seems to me that one nostril is more "stuffed up" than the other... in other words, I breathe better out of one than the other.

Currently, I'm breathing better out of my left nostril. Don't ask me why, but my right nostril is a bit more stuffed up.

So, HERE's YOUR TEST:
Please put your finger on one of your nostrils and push it completely closed so you can't breathe out of that nostril. Breathe a few breaths, then do the same out to the opposite nostril....

Now, here's where the POLL question comes in:

Did you breathe better out of your RIGHT or LEFT nostril? Or, was it the same out of both (no difference)?

PLEASE VOTE NOW.

Also, please comment on the following:

1. Please explain to me why you think that one nostril is better for breathing out of than the other.

2. Why does this happen, if one is better than the other for you?

3. If one is better than the other, has it always been that way for you, or do your nose-holes switch off, taking turns on which one is better for breathing through?

Inquiring minds want to know the truth behind this nose-hole mystery. Happy Eyes

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: NOSE-HOLE POLL
Left is generally more open. My assumption has always been that it's a deviated septum thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
No difference for me but had a deviated septum corrected years ago.
Post Reply Post Reply
No difference for me. I also had a deviated septum corrected by surgery.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Both nostrils are open this morning. Either nostril can get stuffed up, and it can switch several times during the day.

Several years ago, I slipped on the ice while delivering newspapers, requiring a trip to the emergency room. I was somewhat congested and may have had low-grade pneumonia. When I went to pre-op, I heard the 02 alarm beep several times as I desatted before the anesthetic kicked in. I was placed on 4.5 L/min 02, which felt like a cyclone in my nose.

When the technician woke me up the next morning to take my vitals, I had thrown off the cannula. The nurse gave me a very condescending lecture about keeping my cannula on at all times, and wrote "95 RA" (regular air) on my whiteboard. At the shift change, the swing shift nurse seemed puzzled when she saw this. I truthfully explained that my sinuses were completely clogged and I was forced to mouth-breathe. She thought about it for a moment before saying "this is completely useless," and I was free of the cannula.

I have to wonder about the competence of the first nurse since she insisted that I use the cannula despite the 95% 02 sat without it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Man you really gotta stick your finger way up there to close it off completely! LOL! Just kidding, I thought this required a bit of humor (or Humour if you are from the left side of the pond). I had my septum "undeviated" (who woulda thought I would no longer be a diviate?) years ago, but unfortunately, due to my allergies, on any given day either side can clog up and without warning it can unclog just as quickly or change sides! When I start mouth breathing I take a pill. I like the Alavert ones that melt in your mouth. They work very quickly don't make me sleepy or get me wired and they only last for about 5-6 hours (12 hour relief my a$$) which I kinda like because by then my "attack" has generally passed, and if not, I just take another one.
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
You must be psychic, SS. I have a follow-up appointment with my ENT tomorrow and he's bound to ask me the same question. He wants to make sure that the polyps haven't come back already. Dielaughing

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
The side you lay on is always the one thats blocked, if you lay on your leftside then its usually your left one thats blocked more than the other, I thought most knew that Thinking-about

try changing sides it will change, trust me lol
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SuperSleeper, I breathe better out of my left ""nose-whole"", (Ha-Ha,) don't know why, unless it's because I'm left-handed and my left side works better than my right, (Ha-Ha.)
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
My left side used to be blocked and after the septoplasty and turbinate surgery it opened up but still the right side is better. The surgery made slight improvement but no difference to pressure as first anticipated.

Un-stuffing Your Stuffy Nose - Steven Y. Park, M.D
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...tuffy-Nose
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,806 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 145 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,964 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 645 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  P10 modification advice - where are the hole pokers at? her.suit 5 424 01-15-2024, 01:26 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.