Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Do you breathe better out of your RIGHT or LEFT nostril?
This poll is closed.
I breathe better out of my LEFT nostril.
41.67%
45 41.67%
I breathe better out of my RIGHT nostril.
22.22%
24 22.22%
I breathe the same out of BOTH nostrils - no difference
36.11%
39 36.11%
Total 108 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

NOSE-HOLE POLL
RE: NOSE-HOLE POLL
No vote here because the answer is: It depends.

It depends on the time of day----I have a pronounced "nasal cycle" and at different times of the day it is quite clear I'm breathing out of different nostrils.

It also depends on just how bad the allergies are. Or whether I'm dealing with a super-duper head cold. In that case the "bottom" nostril is the one that immediately gets blocked when I'm sleeping on my side. So I turn over and the new "bottom" nostril immediately gets blocked as the new "top" nostril slowly clears.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had symptoms like that, too, robysue. That was before endoscopic surgery back in the mid 1990's.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Right now my right is clearer, though it changes.

My understanding is that the body alternates swelling the membranes left and right to clear them...the swelling forces mucus around and out, then opens up again.

But, in addition, when I lay on my right side I can breathe cleanly through both (or whatever one isn't in the cleaning cycle), but when I lay on my left, breathing is reduced in both. I have had my septum undeviated, and turbinate surgery, which helped, but this left side right side difference remains.

Before the turbinate surgery, I couldn't breathe out of either side though...
Post Reply Post Reply
Exactly

(07-08-2012, 01:15 PM)Dreamcatcher Wrote: The side you lay on is always the one thats blocked, if you lay on your leftside then its usually your left one thats blocked more than the other, I thought most knew that Thinking-about

try changing sides it will change, trust me lol

Blowing-nose
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Right side always feels more congested up in the sinuses. May be a factor that when I sleep on my side, I sleep mostly on my right side. I also note that the vast majority of boog, um, er, I mean crusty accretions, come out of my right nostril.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
like Like many, once I had my nose holes fixed I discovered that both holes were for breathing! Took a septoplasty, turbinate reduction, and removal of two bone spurs to get there!

Charlie Sue
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2013, 02:36 PM)robysue Wrote: No vote here because the answer is: It depends.

Depends? If Depends is blocking your nose, you're either wearing them on the wrong end or pulling them up too high.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
I am very surprised at what happened when I closed off one nostril and then the other. I tried to do the closing off as gently as possible, so as not to affect the side I was testing the breathing on, just putting my thumb over the nostril.

When I close off the right side, it feels hard to breathe through the left, and the same happened when I closed off the left and tried to breathe through just the right - it felt difficult, with possible blockages. But breathing through both at the same time feels easy. I don't understand. Maybe there is a "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts" thing going on.
"Perseverance, secret of all triumphs."
Victor Hugo
Post Reply Post Reply
Left nostril consistently allows free passage of air. The right nose-hole is generally, partially occluded. Deviated septum was corrected some years ago. Honker was damaged, displaced, or used as a convenient handle when playing rugby.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2016, 11:06 AM)Kris the Crone Wrote: "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts" thing going on.

The sum of the holes is greater than the parts.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 150 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,970 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 646 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  P10 modification advice - where are the hole pokers at? her.suit 5 424 01-15-2024, 01:26 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.