Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Do you breathe better out of your RIGHT or LEFT nostril?
This poll is closed.
I breathe better out of my LEFT nostril.
41.67%
45 41.67%
I breathe better out of my RIGHT nostril.
22.22%
24 22.22%
I breathe the same out of BOTH nostrils - no difference
36.11%
39 36.11%
Total 108 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

NOSE-HOLE POLL
RE: NOSE-HOLE POLL
At the time of this posting, I can breathe better thru my right nostril, but that can change quickly. My nostrils alternate back and forth as to which one is noticeably more open than the other. Usually the more open one is the one higher than the other if I am lying on my side. I do not have a deviated septum or polyps, and have never had nasal surgery. My nasal passages do narrow down to 2 or 3 mm wide where the cartilage turns into bone and they easily close off. I have noticed that they stay more open when I lie on my back and both close to some extent when I turn over to lie partly on my stomach. Sometimes they close off so badly that I have to change masks or roll back over on my back to breathe. If I catch a cold, one will stop up completely while the other does so only partially.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I read in a yoga book that people breathe more out of one nostril for about 1 1/2 hours and then it switches to the other nostril for about the same length of time. If this is true, perhaps what time you took the test would make a difference. Also there are alternate nostril breathing exercises in yoga books and on youtube
Post Reply Post Reply
None of those answers apply to me. I breathe out of whatever nostril has fewer boogers. Sometimes both sides go on strike and I'm the one who has to -- "picket" Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
gross but very funny
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2012, 09:11 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
~ A "Nose-hole Poll" ~
Okay, this is kind of stupid, I know.

We all have two "nose-holes" (nostrils), right?

Most of the time for me, it seems to me that one nostril is more "stuffed up" than the other... in other words, I breathe better out of one than the other.

Currently, I'm breathing better out of my left nostril. Don't ask me why, but my right nostril is a bit more stuffed up.

So, HERE's YOUR TEST:
Please put your finger on one of your nostrils and push it completely closed so you can't breathe out of that nostril. Breathe a few breaths, then do the same out to the opposite nostril....

Now, here's where the POLL question comes in:

Did you breathe better out of your RIGHT or LEFT nostril? Or, was it the same out of both (no difference)?

PLEASE VOTE NOW.

Also, please comment on the following:

1. Please explain to me why you think that one nostril is better for breathing out of than the other.

2. Why does this happen, if one is better than the other for you?

3. If one is better than the other, has it always been that way for you, or do your nose-holes switch off, taking turns on which one is better for breathing through?

Inquiring minds want to know the truth behind this nose-hole mystery. Happy Eyes

Answer: the left at the moment, but they switch off. Sometimes they are balanced, but usually one sinus is more "productive" than the other.

"the nose knows"

Post Reply Post Reply
Both sides are equal. I probably sleep on both sides about the same.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2012, 09:11 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: So, HERE's YOUR TEST: [/b] Please put your finger on one of your nostrils and push it completely closed so you can't breathe out of that nostril. Breathe a few breaths, then do the same out to the opposite nostril....
Bump2 Chapter 5: The Turbinates: What You Must Know
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...tuffy-Nose

One important feature of the turbinates that not too many people know about is what's called the nasal cycle. The turbinates alternate in size from side to side every few hours. One side shrinks and the other side swells. Normally you won't notice this, unless both your turbinates are somewhat congested. If you have a deviated septum, then you'll notice this more.

Gravity also affects the size of your nasal turbinates. When you lay down, blood pools in the vessels, leading to slight engorgement. However, your involuntary nervous system detects this relative change and automatically constricts your blood vessels to improve breathing. The same process occurs when you exercise—due to activation of the sympathetic nervous system, the turbinates shrink, opening up your breathing passageways.

Sometimes, the balance between the two halves of the involuntary nervous system(the sympathetic and parasympathetic parts) is out of alignment, and this automatic mechanism doesn't work properly. So when you lay down or exercise, the vessels don't constrict fully. Other times, the turbinates become extra sensitive to allergies, weather changes, chemicals, scents or odors. Once it's irritated, an inflammatory reaction occurs which leads to engorgement and production of mucous. This is called vasomotor or nonallergic rhinitis. Throat acid reflux has been shown to be associated with this condition.

Ultimately, how well you breathe through your nose is determined by a combination of the size of your turbinates, your septal geometry, and the how flimsy your nostrils are. (See the other sections on the septum and flimsy nostrils.) Your nose is not just a passive tube that acts a channel for air to pass into the lungs—it's a very dynamic structure, able to change minute by minute.
Post Reply Post Reply
I breathe better in my left nostril. It's not really a mystery since I have a pretty deviated septum and some other undesirable things going on with my nose. It doesn't bother me that much so I'm in no rush to get it fixed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2012, 10:00 AM)southernlady Wrote: No difference for me but had a deviated septum corrected years ago.
Lady, I am considering the same surgery. How did it effect your cpap?

Post Reply Post Reply
I breathe better through left nostril. My right is blocked by deviated septum so much that my ENT cannot put the scope in that side.
During the night though, my stuffiness changes to whichever side I am lying on. For instance, if I am lying on my left side, the stuffiness is in the left nostril and my right is more clear in that case. (Though never as clear as my left can be sleeping on my right side)
When sleeping on my back, generally, the right is more clogged.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 202 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 153 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,984 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 173 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 650 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  P10 modification advice - where are the hole pokers at? her.suit 5 426 01-15-2024, 01:26 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.