Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR - Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter
RE: OSCAR - Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter
Thanks to all involved in the development and associated testing of OSCAR. And of course thanks to Mark Watkins. This is indeed a worthy project!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
That has got to be the best news on a while.
Shame that some thought to send the original developer so much abuse that he gave up on his website.
There are some right idiots around that hide behind the Internet to abuse others!

Good luck to you all.
Keep the good work going.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
There was no abuse toward Mark!!! Yes Mark perceived the abuse. There never was any attempt by Apnea Board to take over SleepyHead. And still isn't.

While, obviously, this is the first time Mark took it to this extreme. It has happened many times before.

The idiots as you referred to them as were trying to do the same thing we are here with a few exceptions. They were never planning a fork and were only going to fix issues in SH 1.1.0 . add additional translations. And complete the addition of DV cpaps. Additionally they planned on dropping v1.1.0 when v2.0 came out. Yes real idiots.

OSCAR intends to do the same and extend the product with additional enhancments, more devices, and ongoing support.

Oh and most of those idiots thank you for your support of their ongoing work on OSCAR.
Folks, I remind everyone that unless you know the full truthful history of what happened with Mark Watkins (jedimark), please DO NOT assume that you know the actual truth of what has occurred.

You cannot believe a single word that comes out of the mouth of jedimark these days, unfortunately.  He has very severe paranoid issues that have plagued his mental faculties over the course of several years, apparently.  That unfounded paranoia causes him to lash out at the very people who try to help him and work with him.  He himself has alienated, abused and falsely accused nearly every single person who were a part of the SleepyHead project in the past, so much so that he is now FORCED to shutdown the SleepyHead project, because no one who was previously part of the SleepyHead team is left to do the work of future development.

In my post on a previous thread, I wrote that Mark Watkins has a history and pattern of doing these types of things over and over:

SuperSleeper Wrote:The pattern goes like this:

1.  JediMark asks for feedback, development help etc.
2.  Folks step up to the plate and help him out.
3.  The code is improved and released.
4.  Time passes, bugs are found, new machines need support, so those that help Mark out try to contact him to inform him of these needful things.
5.  Mark goes "dark" and drops out of any online activity for MONTHS at a time.
6.  The "helpers" get frustrated and keep trying to contact Mark for direction.
7.  Their requests are ignored by Mark, repeatedly.
8.  The "helpers" start talking about trying to help fix the code themselves, since users are clamoring for the fixes with JediMark nowhere to be found.
9.  The "helpers" actually fix a bit of the code and offer it up to those who would like to use a "fixed" version, or install a patch.
10.  Suddenly, JediMark comes out of hiding, and attacks the "helpers" for not allowing him time to fix the problems himself, saying (basically) that "No one understands the code like I do, since I am the creator of SleepyHead, and your efforts to 'fix' things only messes up my progress!!!" and "You guys are trying to steal SleepyHead away!"
11.  The "helpers" are stunned by Mark's attacks and slink off away into oblivion, since they're offended that Mark thinks they are a bunch of "rebels".
12.  More months pass with nothing being done.
13. GOTO step 4

There's EXACTLY what has happened MANY times in the past.  I've been here.  I've seen it again and again.

SleepyHead was never a "one-man show".  It was the combined efforts of many, many developers, translators, testers and other team members who made SleepyHead what it is today.  Jedimark is only the original author of SleepyHead.

So if you're going to thank Mark Watkins for SleepyHead, you might want to also thank the many, many others who sacrificed their time, talents, money & efforts to that project.

Jedimark has decided to fall on his own light-sabre.  That is due to one person and one person only:  Mark Watkins.  The lies, distortions and false accusations he posts on his website now are simply not true and are made up in the mind of Mark Watkins.

The AST team now working to produce a legal fork called OSCAR is comprised of many of the same people who were on Mark's SleepyHead team.  It is THOSE people who should be thanked for not letting the dream of SleepyHead die when the original author decided to kill it.  They are picking up the pieces in hopes of restoring new life into the software, allowing it to help even more people, in better ways and supporting newer machines well into the future.

In a way, this is a good thing - SleepyHead and the SleepyHead team was jealously controlled by someone who was (and still is) severely paranoid that "everyone is out to get him".   With OSCAR coming on the scene now, the software is not controlled by one person any more - it's truly open source now with a lot of people cooperating together without having to worry about whether they would be the "next one" to be kicked off the island by Mark Watkins due to his paranoid perception that they were heading up a "team of traitors" to "destroy him and his work".

All of that is behind us now.  There is NO future for SleepyHead going forward.  The future is OSCAR and it will be here soon enough.  Given time, OSCAR will be much better than SleepyHead, there is no doubt, and this time, it will be a cooperative team effort with a LOT LESS drama, tension and needless conflict.  The toxic working environment caused by jedimark will be a thing of the past.

I'll say it in plain terms--  SleepyHead is dead.  God bless all the folks who gave us SleepyHead, of course!  The "son of SleepyHead" has a name, and it's name is OSCAR.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Here is Arie Klerk, his former 'second-in-charge' and designated Translations Coordinator. Four years ago I started with an English-only program, now translated into almost 20 languages by as many friends who spent hours on thousands of strings in SleepyHead. It is now used world-wide.

I was Mark's "best friend" for years, seeing that he kicked out "helpers" by time and time and talking/chatting with him for hours and hours, day after day. Helping him think different and knowing his deepest feelings (I thought). Then at once he accused me and blamed me of the worst, while I was trying to help Apnea patients who were denied to use the far better and faster version 1.1.0. I wanted to make 1.1.0 into an intermediate version until his promised version 2.0 would come. I even already had some translations for this version.

On a Sunday evening three weeks ago we had a nice conversation on Messenger about the future (he did not know where to go, was lost and uncertain) and we both made fun about the anniversary of Bob, while we found out that on March 9th it would be 7 years ago that he started SleepyHead. We wanted to celebrate this and agreed to go further on the next day. He threw me into an awful depression the next morning by blaming me all over the internet for things I did not do nor want. That hurts!! He really is sick! I'm done with him.

Working on (the translation of) the SleepyHead fork OSCAR gives me my self-confidence back. And all of you may help us make this wonderful program work again...
Arie KLERK: Member of the Dutch Apnea Association staff (https://apneuvereniging.nl) and proud to be the OSCAR Translations Team Coordinator. 
***Please help us: We’re always looking for more translators and language editors***

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients, but just dedication to AB. 
Thanks SuperSleeper, Fred Bonjour, and A.Klerk for taking time to clarify this situation. 
Much appreciated as I have been wondering what the heck was going on..
And THANKS for all those who are working on OSCAR. 
Without the software made possible by SleepyHead I would be no where near where I am now Thanks
This programme sounds wonderful, but unfortunately I can fix a windmill, work as a stockman, and a number of other things that are completely unhelpful. I can donate, but will it be compatible with an Airmini?
Scarper
Nothing is compatible with an AirMini... It has no data collection ability beyond its silly Bluetooth app..

There is a fellow working on how to take it apart and solder some wires to the board...
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
At this time the only devices that will be supported on the initial release are those supported in SH v1.1.0.
We are talking about new devices but nothing has been decided.
Thank you. I can't get over there being such helpful people on the ether. A pity Resmed wasn't the same.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 6 489 35 minutes ago
Last Post: phillyfan24
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 7 322 03-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: ef8mk
  New to CPAP, need help with analyze OSCAR tomakl 2 117 03-24-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: tomakl
  New and in Need OSCAR Analysis Well Marbled 1 65 1,420 03-23-2024, 12:34 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 192 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 204 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.