Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change?
Angry 
Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change?
Hi All,

For the past two months, I have started taking CPAP seriously.

In Feb, I was able to start getting 5-6 hours of use, but waking up and falling asleep. I still woke up.

Now, I am lucky that I get 2-3 hours, and then I can't fall back asleep at all. I have NO idea why I keep waking up.

I was wondering why I keep waking up? My AHI is pretty low, but I do have some CA events. I am using a P10 Nasal Mask.

I used it in Feb, went on vacation, and came back in March, still waking up and not getting a full nights rest. Like I said, 3 hours at most and then I wake up, fall asleep.

I have attached  OSCAR data from the past two nights and in Feb, with my longest nights (but still waking up)

- From Last Night, woke up 2-3 hours and couldnt fall back asleep
    - Same situation. Woke up 2 hours, fell back sleep, then woke up back and tried to use it in the early morning (hence the large space)
    - example from mid march where I was able to sleep 5-6 hours but still woke up

My settings are as followed:
11-15 pressure
EPR =3
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change?
Do you notice anything specific when you wake up? Any leaks from the mask? Pressure too high?

Any sleep hygiene issues? Excess caffeine usage? Stressful life events?

Your data doesn't look too bad, only a few CA's here and there.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2024, 09:36 PM)jcp519 Wrote: Do you notice anything specific when you wake up? Any leaks from the mask? Pressure too high?

Any sleep hygiene issues? Excess caffeine usage? Stressful life events?

Your data doesn't look too bad, only a few CA's here and there.

Hey thanks for the response!

And not anything in particular, I have just been waking up without any issues related to the cpap itself. I dont wake up due to the pressure changes or have any leaks. My leaks are pretty minimal once I figured out proper taping. I guess it is just a matter of fact of waiting it out, keep at it until I get used to it more. I have been taking Trazadone and Melatonin to get used to the machine.

I'll work on better sleep hygiene, I do drink diet soda quite a bit and could stand to loose weight.

As long as the date looks good, I guess this issue is outside of cpap really.

Are the CA's any cause of concern?
Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn't worry very much about the CA's as there are very few of them and they don't seem to be disrupting your sleep. Those could just be a change in position with a breath hold.

Caffeine destroys my sleep quality whenever I have too much of it or drink a coffee too late in the day. I'm a pretty small guy but losing 10 lbs actually helped my sleep quite a bit and I wasn't even overweight to begin with.

Are you feeling any better with CPAP than without? It does seem like before since you were able to sleep for a longer period of time, it might not be related to the settings.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Change Owner Name of machine eswagar 8 143 3 hours ago
Last Post: eswagar
  First 2 nights Narcil 12 344 8 hours ago
Last Post: OpalRose
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 3 191 04-20-2024, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  SleepHQ O2 Ring Alarm waking me up MurrayApnea 1 188 04-19-2024, 08:53 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 3 243 04-15-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 236 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Oscar 1.4.0 software time change keithy62 2 153 04-12-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: keithy62

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.