Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: I now have the following replacement xPAP for my recalled Philips Respironics xPAP.
This poll is closed.
DS2 - Direct from Philips. (free to me)
41.64%
117 41.64%
DS2 - From My DME, etc. (insurance covered and/or copay by me)
4.63%
13 4.63%
DS1 - New (upgraded foam) or Refurbished from Philips.
19.57%
55 19.57%
DS1 - New (upgraded foam) or Refurbished through my DME, etc.
3.91%
11 3.91%
ResMed - From my DME. (insurance covered and/or copay by me)
7.83%
22 7.83%
ResMed - I paid for it 100%. (by choice and/or no help offered by DME)
16.73%
47 16.73%
Other Brand - From my DME, etc.
0.36%
1 0.36%
Other Brand - I paid for it 100%.
5.34%
15 5.34%
Total 281 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally
Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally
I hope this poll will be useful. I personally don’t have a pony in this race, but I have friends who are affected by the PR recall. I have read a number of posts where people are getting DS2 replacements and am curious as to how many, and which models are getting into the patients’ hands. At present, I have not read any testimonies of refurbished, or new & upgraded, DS1 xPAP’s being provided. But that may change in the future.

So here goes the Poll.
If you have one of the Philips Respironics machines affected by the recall (I don’t really care which model you have for the case of this poll), and you now have a replacement xPAP, I’m curious which one you received as a replacement. Also, for the sake of this poll, I’m not interested in the instances where someone has removed foam from a PR xPAP and resumed operation of the modified machine. There are enough threads that cover that topic.

Sorry, I know these poll options don’t encompass all possible answers. And some answers don’t necessarily apply right now, but may in the future. So please pick the one that fits your situation best and post an explanation with details if you wish.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally
Bump2

Would love to hear what "other brands" of xPAP's people are getting for a PR replacement. And maybe how much of a copay people have pay in copay situations.
RayBee

~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd need another option on this:

DS2 - I paid for it 100%

As luck would have it, I bought a DS2 about 3 weeks before the recall was announced...
Post Reply Post Reply
I got a ResMed AirSense 10 out of pocket as there's no way I'm using Philips machine ever again. My confidence in that company is gone.

FWIW, I only have 2 nights on my new ResMed but everything about it to me is better than both Philips machines I've used. I started on a Remstar System One and used a Dreamstation 1 for a while in 2019 until I stopped using it because it was too noisy... as was a replacement I demanded from the seller for that first DS 1 unit I received. The second unit was even noisier than the first so I threw it back in the closet in sheer frustration  and went back to my System One until 2 nights ago... I was already P*ssed at Philips for that when news of the recall came.

My only regret is not having gotten that AirSense 10 in 2019... Hindsight and all that Wink
CPAP: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask: ResMed Airfit N30
Diagnosed with severe apnea in 2009 (43+ events/hour with very long events)
Post Reply Post Reply
ruh roh! I didn't 'vote' yet but was wondering if I could vote twice. I received from Phillips a replacement DS2 (it sits in the box). I use a Resmend Airsense 10 I bought 100% out of pocket.

I don't know which way to vote for the statistics you're trying to collect.
Post Reply Post Reply
chasmm - Post #4
I started this poll to make an attempt of getting a tally of various replacement units and methods of acquisition thereof in response to the Philips recall. So, since you purchased your DS2 before the recall announcement, your experience technically doesn't qualify for a vote. However, you are affected by the recall and could vote as to what your response would be in hindsight. I'm not sure if that would be one of the first two choices, and unfortunately I can't edit the poll. I knew there would be more response variations needed, but I didn't want to water down the choices too far either.

So, I guess a vote with explanation would be best.
RayBee

~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
MikeE3 - Post #6
Great question. My intentions for this poll would be to take a snapshot of the response tally at the end of each month and post a new monthly tally so we can all see if there is a shift in Philips' action as replacements continue to roll out. I was interested in seeing if DME's would take on some responsibility by replacing machines with non-Philips brands; if Philips shifts replacements to refurbished DS1's; if end users purchase replacements out of desperation and/or lack of support.

I thought these would be interesting things to watch as time plays out.

I'm not sure if this helps you decide where to cast your vote. But I knew there would be more options needed to cover all the variations. I thought about the countless possibilities, but I didn't want to water down the voting options too far as they could quickly become irrelevant to any trends I hope to identify.
RayBee

~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
Do note that the detailed data on the DS2 SD card in encrypted and as such is not accessible to either you or OSCAR, the tool that can be used by many other devices to display this data.  Good luck on getting this data regularly from your doctor or DME as PR suggests.

Quote:DS2 has encrypted the detailed data on the SD card so that you, the user must utilize your doctor or DME to access this data, IMHO this alone is a deal breaker.  IMHO a machine I use MUST allow OSCAR to access the detailed data. A reply from a PR rep " I can say that with the DreamStation 2 machines, we have moved away from patients being able to read the SD cards themselves (the SD cards can still be read by your doctor and medical supply company though)."
Post Reply Post Reply
Some users on Facebook have reported receiving refurbished DS1 Auto units that showed zero machine hours. I have not received a replacement for my ASV but I did receive an email acknowledging the registration.
Post Reply Post Reply
Progress Report - November 1, 2021
[Image: attachment.php?aid=36813]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RayBee

~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,818 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,604 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,047 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,816 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 372 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 201 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,122 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.