Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Napping in the car
Napping in the car
I am a 37 years old male.
I was diagnosed with mild-to-moderate supine sleep apnea about 1 year ago.
I have been on CPAP for around same time with a pressure of 8 or 9 cm.

Now, one thing I notice is this: 
every time I take a nap in my car, within 10 mins or so I always wake up coughing with choking feeling, like traces of saliva are going into my airway.

My questions are:
(1) Why would this happen ? Is this also related to sleep apnea?
(2) Any way I can take better care of this issue so I can take naps in the car?

Thanks a bunch in advance.

I have captured a video of myself waking up like this while napping in the car, but since I am a new member, it doesn't allow me to post a link to the video here.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Napping in the car
Hi morpheus1958,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your question, good luck with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-19-2017, 01:50 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi morpheus1958,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your question, good luck with CPAP therapy.

Thank you trish6hundred.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your suffering from apnea's while you sleep in your car. I haven't done it but a lot of people here use the car battery as a power source for their CPAP's. I'm sure one of them will come along and explain how.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Here is the video I was mentioning about earlier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_apnea says that some people benefit by sleeping at 30 degree elevation for upper body.

I am at around 60 degree or so angle in the video below and that doesn't seem to help me. Does it say anything about the type of apnea I have, any other insights?

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know about the angle or your sleeping. Sorry.

But I'd like to say....Please consider locking your door. It looks like the locking pin is up in the video.

That being said. I hope someone has some insight for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you nap after eating your lunch?   I sometime find myself coughing after eating not unlike your video.  My co-workers commented that I would tend to aggressively clear my throat after eating.  When asking my doctor of this she said I had a mild case of Gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD) and recommended taking a Prilosec (or generic equivalent) once a month.  I have reduced this amount dramatically as of late because the symptoms have subsided.

GERD is the reaction by coughing due to (in my case) mild indigestion coming back up the esophagus and the normal reaction to clearing the throat.  Taking meals activated it for me and it seems to be not uncommon.  The digestive acids backing up in the throat can be damaging over time and coughing to clear it can be a symptom.  It might seem like "just a cough" but long term damage may occur.  Perhaps discussing if you have GERD with your doctor might be an an approach to your concern.

Respectfully asking:  why are you napping in your car?  Not flaming, just asking.  I can understand that it is a possible place of respite.  I used to nap.... not in my car but sometimes at my desk or a bench on the street (it is a rather peaceful little town.) From the video it appears that you are in an urban area and perhaps that is why you find peace in your car??? Maybe it is to get away fro your boss... I can truly understand that!
Post Reply Post Reply
I often nap in my car. If I start to get snoozy, I pull over ASAP, give into the urge, and then I'm generally good to go.

It's not unusual for me to wake up choking. Even when I'm not napping in my car.

I have woken up to find myself napping at a farm stand, an outdoor store, McDonalds, and frequently a "park and ride" (there's one of these at every interstate exit; I know all of them in this area.)

McDonalds is actually a pretty good place, because the parking lots are well covered by cameras, I can get refreshment for the next phase of my drive, and use the restroom.

I have never used my APAP in the car for a nap. (I'm a noob). But also, since my goal is simply to give in to the urge to have a little shut-eye, if I had to make it too complicated, shut-eye won't happen.

Sometimes, I need 5 minutes, sometimes 2 hours. I've learned to be fine with it.

I hardly ever drive at night, anymore.

Incidentally, I have a bed in my car: PVC pipe, plywood platform, and a real foam mattress. I keep heaps of pillows, a sleeping bag, loose blankets. I can keep warm and minimize weird sleeping positions.

---------

To comment on your sleep position....It doesn't look very relaxing! It looks like you're having to actively prevent your neck from collapsing towards the gap between the headrest and the seat back. You may find it helpful not to have any curve in your windpipe. You don't want to be nodding forward in any way. Sometimes, even the headrest can make you do this. You could try to use a cervical collar (easy to keep in the car) to keep that from happening. This might keep you from the choking.

Have you considered that the sun might be making you choke? Some people have vocal reactions to sunlight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Prior to each cough you have what may be a recovery breath (inhale) that may be a result of shallow or non-breathing. Personally, if I nap in a chair, I have what feels like a post nasal discharge to my throat that results in coughs, snorts and gasps a good bit more alarming than your own. I do think it is related to the obstructive apnea in my case.

CPAP can be used in the car, however in the case of Resmed, you need to purchase a $80 DC to DC adapter for the Airsense 10 to run it off a battery or your vehicle accessory outlet. https://www.google.com/search?q=resmed+d...e&ie=UTF-8
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't say for certain that is or is not apnea related. Others have given thoughts on your situation, so I'll leave it at hope you get with your doctor to resolve your health issue. Coughing doesn't typically occur without a cause. Yeah yeah captain obvious.

Personally I have programmed myself not to sleep in cars. Too long of a story, but I was an 11 year pro truck driver. Sleeping and driving don't mix.

Best wishes on your success,
Dave
lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Napping with my CPAP ksvaughan 7 1,066 04-16-2022, 09:37 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Pills so I can stop napping? sleepytimegal 7 1,876 02-20-2017, 03:37 PM
Last Post: TurdFerguson8675
  Napping?? Deux123 8 3,778 07-13-2014, 03:15 PM
Last Post: Peter_C

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.