Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Napping with my CPAP
Napping with my CPAP
I did a quick but non-comprehensive scan of the forum and didn't see an obvious answer to my question, so if it's been asked and answered please don't ding me, just point me to the answer and move on or ignore my question.

I am fairly new to CPAP treatment, just over a month. My question is if I nap during the day and use my CPAP, do I need to do a water change at bedtime? I've been cleaning my tank and mask more or less faithfully every day(I may have missed a day where I just rinsed my tank and didn't clean my mask, I'm only human). I will go with the consensus if I decide to use my mask for napping. BTW, napping is not a daily occurrence, I had a long day yesterday and am feeling like an afternoon nap may be in order. I was in the hospital with pneumonia and heart issues (not a heart attack) and am trying very hard not to overdo things even though I'm feeling 100% better.

Thanks in advance for reading my post and providing a thoughtful answer.

Karen
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Napping with my CPAP
Karen, I wouldn't worry about cleaning everything after a nap when you know you are going to wear it again that night. Just make certain you add water before using it the second time. I clean my mask and tank every day (most of the time) but certainly wouldn't bother for a nap. This is my personal opinion and others may differ. I wish you well on your recovery.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've gotten to the point where I only clean the tank if there is severe buildup. I generally clean my mask once a week. I wouldn't bother with cleaning after every nap, but perhaps I'm lazier than most. I've not run into any issues yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
The water does not get contaminated as you use it. So, no, you needn’t do more than to refill it when it nears empty.
Post Reply Post Reply
>>>> but perhaps I'm lazier than most.

I doubt it Big Grin
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2022, 04:57 PM)mesenteria Wrote: The water does not get contaminated as you use it. So, no, you needn’t do more than to refill it when it nears empty.

@mesenteria, If you only meant topping it off after a nap, then no worries I agree with you. 

I might have mistakenly inferred you meant this on an ongoing basis, which is what I am responding to. 

The water does not get contaminated as you use it -- I used to think that, too.  

Then one day someone (I think it might have been Opal Rose) pointed out that whatever miniscule (or bigger) contaminants might get into the water will naturally accumulate and become more concentrated over time if the tank is not emptied and rinsed every so often. 

This makes sense to me since the CPAP machine humidifies by blowing outside air over the surface of the water.

I only use distilled water unless I run out, then tap water for a night or two until I get another bottle of distilled. 

And in my experience unchanged water eventually gets gunky.  Maybe it's dust particles that make it past the air filter (it's not a HEPA after all) eventually form little sheets of tissue in the tank.  Also I think from heating and cooling the tank bottom every night, some orange-ish film seems to eventually show up.  Guessing maybe mineral deposits from times I didn't use distilled or maybe even the tap water I use to clean it, who knows.

I don't clean the tank very often myself, but I do keep an eye on it and wipe it out with hydrogen peroxide and thoroughly rinse with tap water when I see gunk starting to accumulate. Then it's good for a few more weeks until it happens again.  

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
"some orange-ish film seems to eventually show up". 

This may well be Serratia Marcescens bacteria which is a common bacteria that often appears as an orange/reddish/pink film in showers, sinks, etc that haven't been cleaned for bit. You probably don't want to inhale it. You may want to think about cleaning your tank before it shows up.
Post Reply Post Reply
welcome to the forum netrunner! Thanks for the hint.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Napping in the car morpheus1958 22 3,437 12-22-2017, 09:09 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Pills so I can stop napping? sleepytimegal 7 1,886 02-20-2017, 03:37 PM
Last Post: TurdFerguson8675
  Napping?? Deux123 8 3,800 07-13-2014, 03:15 PM
Last Post: Peter_C

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.