Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal Irritation: Sores / Scabbing of Septum (both sides)
Nasal Irritation: Sores / Scabbing of Septum (both sides)
Hello! I've been using the ResMed Airfit P10 for a week and have developed scabbing / sores in my nose along the septum (which is deviated). It has been very painful as the pillow cushions were pressing onto it with the (up to) 13 pressure blasts. The sores are on both sides of my septum. (Average 5 incidents per hour with this mask)

As a consequence I changed to the Phillips Respironics Dreamwear mask, but my nose doesn't easily fit into it and with the high pressure blasts, pressure is oozing out all over. (Average 18 incidents per hour with this mask)

My incidents per hour are about 34 without CPAP treatment. (I also use a humidifier and heated tubing.)

My questions are: Has anyone else had this kind of pain/irritation in their nose from using a mask before? If so how did you resolve it? I've thought about using Vaseline to line my nasal canal.  

Can anyone recommend another mask that will be better? My nose is not so big and all of these masks seem to be poor when used while on my back. Help! Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal Irritation: Sores / Scabbing of Septum (both sides)
I had much the same problem (without a deviated septum) with pillows which were to me intolerable at any pressure over 10 cm H20. I switched to a ResMed Mirage Activa and then to the Activa LT and it seems to work for me at any pressure. About those sores, you may wish to have your doctor check for infection and prescribe a temporary pain-deadening crème. Because your nose filters out bacteria, stuff, and junk, I would be cautious about coating it with anything without seeking advice. Best of luck with the great mask search that afflicts most of us.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Hipster, went through the same initial response when starting on the P10. Discovered it was due to the pillow size being to small. Switched from a medium up to the large and has made all the difference in the world. You don't want the pillows to actually go into your nose, just sit at the opening. I tried the Vaseline like you to no avail and got a recommendation from this board for a product called Lansinoh. It is a lanolin lotion used by nursing mothers. Found it on the shelve of my local Target in the nursing mothers section (had to ask, no experience with that stuff). Put it on at night and again in the morning and the sores were gone within 2 days. I continued using a small coating for about another month to prevent any more from forming and to allow my nose to get use to wearing the nasal pillows. I think you might find by increasing the size of the pillows and getting rid of the sores the P10 will work great for you.

Good luck with your therapy!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi hipstercadillac,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Don't be shy about asking to try different masks; this is the most challenging part of this therapy.
I wish you good luck on your CPAP journey and also with finding a mask that will work for you.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the same thing when I used pillow masks. Lanolin nipple cream helps a lot.

I switched to nasal masks because the pillow masks were stretching my nostrils so they became flared and pig nose looking all the time.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Skin Irritation from Masks Granny7 19 2,735 04-13-2024, 04:38 AM
Last Post: Little Olive
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 947 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 508 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg
  Nose/Nosering Irritation Braven05 8 684 12-18-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Y no photos of mask-caused "sores" on the www? nelsonka 1 393 12-15-2023, 08:54 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  My suggestion for help with nasal pillow irritation rebean 3 703 12-06-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  CT showing deviated septum TryingToGetItRight 1 315 11-11-2023, 01:51 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.