Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal Irritation iwth Nasal Pillows...
Nasal Irritation iwth Nasal Pillows...
I have recently starting using the Respironics Nuance Gel nasal pillows and love them...however, I have siginificant nasal irritation...I have tried Ayr gel as well as bactroban ointment in the day...is there any relief from this? or do I just need to fight through it and it will get better? Thanks for all your input...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal Irritation iwth Nasal Pillows...
When my allergies kicked in, my ENT doc told me to coat my nasal passages with bacitracin before going to bed. The bacitracin will not damage the nasal pillows like Vaseline can.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Before putting on my pillows I put a little Aloe Vera gel around my nostrils then wipe it off. Helps with seal and I haven't had any irritation in the year I've been doing it.
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply
Where is the irritation? Where the pillows sit? Or inside? Is this your first nasal pillows?

I like the Ayr gel, too! Others prefer the cream stuff called....lanisol? Lamisol? It's basically what nursing mothers use. It heals as well as protects.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the input...the irritation is inside the nares to the front upper aspect...this is my first nasal pillow...I have heard wonders about them and I like them but they are making my nose very uncomfortable...
Post Reply Post Reply
I use paw paw ointment and find that helps very well but Paula after reading your post you reminded me that I have some Anhydrous Lanolin, wool fat, that I bought especially for my sore nostrils. I had forgotten it was in the bottom of my drawers.
So thanks Paula for the reminder.
My tender nostrils seem to come and go. Thankfully they are away from me more than they are with me.
I would recommend a good lanolin such as the ones the good people here have mentioned.
I also use the Nuance which I love.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you sure you are using the right size pillow (s,m,l,) for your nose? Are you careful not to over-tighten?

I'm just now switching to the Nuance Nasal from Resmed p10. even it, on occasion made my nose feel a little annoyed, but I seemed to get used to it eventually.

Susan
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Susan, yes I have tried out all the size pillows and the medium suits me perfectly. It is just occasionally that I have a bit of irritation, it was the same with the P10.
The main reason I changed from P10 to Nuance was because of straps more so than pillows.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi flyfishinbob,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try some HPA Lanolin. It's very thick and a little goes a long way, so just put a little on a cotton swav and rub the inside of your nose with it.
You can find it in most stores in the baby isle.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Flyfishinbob,
I use the Ayr Gel, it seems to help with the seal and it feels cool too. In the morning after I get up, I use bacitracin to help with healing the tender areas. I think after awhile, you just get used to it and it won't bother you so much.
Sleep-well
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,765 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  nasal congestion relief sleepingbetterinFl 2 158 03-23-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 99 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 151 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 321 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,077 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,224 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.