Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal Itching
Nasal Itching
What can I do to keep my nose from itching & feeling irritated while wearing the mask? You know that feeling like you have spiders crawling on you?...that's how it feels (creepy crawly.) I swear I can't get comfortable when I put on my nasal mask!!! It seems like every couple minutes I'm taking it off just to scratch my nose gets & it feels somewhat abrasive. It's such an annoying feeling that I have to take off my mask off in the middle of the night - just so I can have relief. Is this normal to have an overly itchy nose when wearing a nasal mask (especially since I'm new to cpap & things being on my nose??). Is the mask not the right one?!? Any suggestions/feedback?!?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal Itching
What can I do to keep my nose from itching & feeling irritated while wearing the mask? You know that feeling like you have spiders crawling on you?...that's how it feels (creepy crawly.) I swear I can't get comfortable when I put on my nasal mask!!! It seems like every couple minutes I'm taking it off just to scratch my nose gets & it feels somewhat abrasive. It's such an annoying feeling that I have to take off my mask off in the middle of the night - just so I can have relief. Is this normal to have an overly itchy nose when wearing a nasal mask (especially since I'm new to cpap & things being on my nose??). Is the mask not the right one?!? Any suggestions/feedback?!?

Post Reply Post Reply
That sounds awful and I haven't heard of it before. Is your nose itchy on the outside or the inside?
If it is on the outside maybe you could try pillows so they won't interfere with the outside of your nose. If it is the outside of your nose and you can't handle pillows I have heard of mask liners, maybe they might be of some help. Perhaps you are allergic to whatever the mask is made from.
Sorry I haven't been much help.
Stick around I am sure more experienced people will offer some advice.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
misstiff027, your probably already doing it but wash your face before going to bed, you will eventually get used to it. I give my nose a bit of a rub prior to putting my mask on, it seems to help. If the mask is touching your nose it maybe too small. Have you tried mask liners? They normally help around the nose rather than on top. It is difficult as our faces are not used to having anything on them.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too had that itchy feeling around my nose and tried unsuccessfully to ignore it so I didn't have to remove my mask to rub my nose. For that and other reasons (mouth open) I switched from a nasal mask to the F&P Simplus ffm. One of the reasons I like the Simplus is that it's roomy inside and goes nowhere near my nose. Apparently that change and a little experience cured my freaky nose itches because I'm not having the problem any more. Another thing is to be sure you have trimmed any nose hair. A little hair can make a big itch when it's moved by the air flow through your mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Could you be allergic to the mask? I think masks that uses nasal pillows are better for situations like this. Or how about using a silicone based cream to help prevent exposures. Hmmm?
Post Reply Post Reply
Lasinoh Lanolin helps with the abbrasions created by mask. It can be found in the supermarket in the baby supplies aisle as mothers use it for nursing. It is safe and does a good job protecting and healing. It won't hurt the mask either.

I haven't had the itchy crawling feeling. Sometimes a random itch will occur. I do have moments where moisture (probably from the humidifier) bubbles under my nasal pillows. It feels a lot like a runny/drippy nose. Hate that feeling. Sometimes when I get the nasal pillows feeling just right is when the moisture occurs. It is irritating to have to lift the pillows to wipe my nose and start all over getting the pillows back in place. Usually after a couple times of drying my nose, the moisture goes away.
Post Reply Post Reply
Aire nasal gel helps.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually I do have that issue, but inside my nose. If I get one hair that starts moving around from the air, it drives me nuts all night! I use a personal groomer, I think it is Gillette or one of those type companies, and trim the hairs inside my nose and I am fine, but I can always tell when it is time to do it again! Now mind you I am NOT a hairy guy, but even what little hair I have in there just bugs me like crazy!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
you are soooo right about the nasal hair. i use the f&p simplus ff, and have always had the nose itch problem. only recently thought the cause might perhaps be nasal hair. i trimmed and it worked. usually just one hair on each side causing the problem. i'm changing to the f20 mask, for other reasons, but hope the hair problem will resolve without the continual trim.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 314 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 862 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Using Nasal Strips along with Nasal mask or pillows Bostonsnow 6 1,156 07-18-2023, 07:09 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal Dilators st1800e 9 1,392 06-19-2023, 07:16 AM
Last Post: st1800e
  DIY idea to stop itching and rash back of head? okieman 15 11,052 05-16-2023, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Xltrod
  Nasal Congestion Rgn3 16 1,482 05-08-2023, 03:17 PM
Last Post: hopeforusall
  [Pressure] Nasal IrritTion? NannyRobina 2 612 06-20-2022, 09:30 AM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.