Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal Mask Advice
Nasal Mask Advice
New to the thread and CPAP.  Had my machine for 2 months now, much better sleep.

Originally, I had the P10 For Her with small pillows and found that I loved the lack of noise and the pillows, but the headgear was too tight for my big head (24 1/4" circumference).  It caused a lot of discomfort on my septum, felt like I'd bruised my nose.  Changed to the N20 with large headgear and small mask.  But I'm getting a lot of leakage, especially around the bridge of my nose where my glasses feet have permanently indented.  Leakage is 25-30 L/min with the N20 rather than 10-15 L/min with the P10.

I'd prefer a small nasal something.  I wear glasses, don't breath through my mouth, sleep on my side and roll over occasionally.

Is it worth trying the P10 regular?  Is there enough difference in the headgear length?
Any other recommendations?  Based on a lot of Googling, I'm looking at the Swift FX, DreamWear or Nuance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal Mask Advice
I think it's worth a try. You can get the regular size (blue) headband only on Amazon and try it out. It's about an inch longer but being it's a stretch material it makes a bigger difference than just an inch.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Try the Dreamwear. Has a nasal cushion that sits under the nose or nasal pillow option.
Post Reply Post Reply
EllenLee,
I can confirm that the regular (blue) headgear is aproximatley 1" larger than the For Her (Pink).  I don't know if that extra inch would make a difference for you, but doesn't hurt to try.

I use the blue headgear because the pink fits too tight due to having thick hair.  

Also want to comment on the small nasal pillow.  If you are experiencing discomfort on your nasal septum, then the pillow is too small.  Try one size up as the pillow should not be inserted into the nostril, but should just sit at the bottom of your nose, slightly inserted.  Many of us here have found that one size larger pillow works better.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2018, 05:25 PM)OpalRose Wrote: EllenLee,
I can confirm that the regular (blue) headgear is aproximatley 1" larger than the For Her (Pink).  I don't know if that extra inch would make a difference for you, but doesn't hurt to try.

I use the blue headgear because the pink fits too tight due to having thick hair.  

Also want to comment on the small nasal pillow.  If you are experiencing discomfort on your nasal septum, then the pillow is too small.  Try one size up as the pillow should not be inserted into the nostril, but should just sit at the bottom of your nose, slightly inserted.  Many of us here have found that one size larger pillow works better.

This is good advice regarding the size of the nasal pillows, start large and come down in size rather than start small.
They should not hurt the inside or the nose much, just when you first start and that is only a little discomfort.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
EllenLee, I, too, had problems with the N20 due to the indents in my nose. I've since switched to the Respironics Wisp, which has a double seal around the sides; this works very well for me. If you can't get any pillows to work, try the Wisp.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi EllenLee,

I bought my first set of P10s from a vendor listed on the commercial page and it came with free return insurance so if it didn't work out I could return for refund or something different.

If you are shopping masks, then:

(1) talk to your DME about their return policy to help you find your right match (that's why they get the big bucks above normal retail), and

(2) explore online vendors who offer return insurance.  Sometimes it costs a few dollars, but some gear like the P10 was so popular and such a low return rate the vendors would offer free return insurance.  Return insurance is not medical insurance, just buying the option to return for full refund if they don't work out. 

In my case I shopped online out of pocket within the replacement cycle, and once I found what I liked I buy them via my DME with medical insurance copay. 

I will also echo the advice about going to largest pillows that are comfortable.  Mort comfort, more air, better air seals.  

I can't advise you on newer masks because since I found the P10s I have never looked back.

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you very much for all the advice! I hadn't thought that the size of the pillows might be contributing to the issue. I'll give the P10 another try, then move on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi EllenLee !

If the p10 don't fit with different pillows you might want to check out the F&P brevida . It's another pillow mask ,small ,light and IMO less noisy.(air diffuser )

The headgear is velcro adjustable  a bit more expensive, comes with 2 size pillows ( xs/sm and md/lg). might work for you !

Bag-head snorybob
Post Reply Post Reply
I also found the P10 strap too tight but prefer its comfort. I simply unhooked the strap from the plastic frame (instructions that came with it show how) and stapled the strap onto the frame a bit farther up from the original location so it's longer.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 37 1,523 03-17-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 97 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 54 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 13 514 03-12-2024, 02:54 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 723 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 251 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 182 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.