Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal Mask Advice??
Nasal Mask Advice??
When I see my DME next week, I will be asking for a change from a full face ResMed Quattro FX mask to a nasal mask and chin strap. I suspect that the DME prefers ResMed equipment so am thinking of asking for the ResMed Swift FX Nano mask and ResMed chin restraint.

Suggestions or comments from anyone experienced with this combination would be appreciated.

Device: ResMed S9 AutoSet w/ H5i
Pressure: AutoSet 8-16
AHI: 1.26
Leaks: .09
Avg Pressure: 10.59
95% Pressure: 15.12

As you can see, I'm doing well and happy with the results. But, as you all know, there's always something better out there. According to my dog, "too much is never enough."
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal Mask Advice??
You might ask your sleep doctor and the DME if you can try both the nasal mask and nasal pillows. They both use the same head gear and are really easy to switch out. My DME just volunteered both and I 'm glad he did. I did not do well on the nasal mask, but I love the pillows. I think the key with either is getting the straps adjusted right. It's a balancing act between comfort and leakage.

I discovered I was over tightening everything. One day I might go back and give the nasal mask another try.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2013, 08:38 AM)JimZZZ Wrote: When I see my DME next week, I will be asking for a change from a full face ResMed Quattro FX mask to a nasal mask and chin strap. I suspect that the DME prefers ResMed equipment so am thinking of asking for the ResMed Swift FX Nano mask and ResMed chin restraint.

Suggestions or comments from anyone experienced with this combination would be appreciated.

Device: ResMed S9 AutoSet w/ H5i
Pressure: AutoSet 8-16
AHI: 1.26
Leaks: .09
Avg Pressure: 10.59
95% Pressure: 15.12

As you can see, I'm doing well and happy with the results. But, as you all know, there's always something better out there. According to my dog, "too much is never enough."

Give the F&P Eson a try. It is a nasal mask that I have found to be very good with minimal leaking and very comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the "Wisp" last year when it came out after using the "Swift FX" for quite some time and absolutely love it. My average AHI went from 1.5 to 3.0 while using the Swift FX to being 0.0 to 0.6 on average with the Wisp. I feel fantastic and am on my 2nd Wisp now.

The only thing I found with the wisp is that I use the silicone headgear as its a bit stiffer and doesn't shift as easily when you go into deep sleep. The fabric headgear was poorly made at first however I have read that the issue has been resolved.

As with any mask there will be an adjustment period where you might experience an off night or two, Big thing with the wisp is put it on and turn on machine, pull mask away from nose (to let the pillow fill with air) and gently place it back down.

Good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2013, 02:00 PM)Cobra4x4 Wrote: I tried the "Wisp" last year when it came out after using the "Swift FX" for quite some time and absolutely love it. My average AHI went from 1.5 to 3.0 while using the Swift FX to being 0.0 to 0.6 on average with the Wisp. I feel fantastic and am on my 2nd Wisp now.

Good luck

Cobra, Do you need a chin restraint to prevent breathing out through your mouth. That's my concern with going to a nasal mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2013, 02:10 PM)JimZZZ Wrote:
(12-28-2013, 02:00 PM)Cobra4x4 Wrote: I tried the "Wisp" last year when it came out after using the "Swift FX" for quite some time and absolutely love it. My average AHI went from 1.5 to 3.0 while using the Swift FX to being 0.0 to 0.6 on average with the Wisp. I feel fantastic and am on my 2nd Wisp now.

Good luck

Cobra, Do you need a chin restraint to prevent breathing out through your mouth. That's my concern with going to a nasal mask.

If you are a mouth breather you may need a chin strap whether it be with nasal mask or nasal pillows. I have used the wisp nasal mask for a month and it has been very successful for me. I was using FFM before and all 3 I tried failed. I do use a chin strap.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi JimZZZ,
I'm using the Wisp now, (with silicon frame,) and I like it very much, I don't use a chinstrap because I always felt like I was in a headlock with some of them or, the headband type, (the Resmed chinstrap comes to mind here,) kept coming off my head. I have tried the Nano and, the headgear, (strip,)oh my god, the headgear, leaves a whole lot to be desired. Because of where things end up on that mask on my head, the headgear strip is course and winds up rubbing my ear and scratching it, NO THANKS,! I sure don't need that, (Ha-Ha-ha.)
Of course, YMMV.
Good luck to you as you try different masks.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2013, 03:33 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi JimZZZ,
I'm using the Wisp now, (with silicon frame,) and I like it very much, I don't use a chinstrap because I always felt like I was in a headlock with some of them or, the headband type, (the Resmed chinstrap comes to mind here,) kept coming off my head. I have tried the Nano and, the headgear, (strip,)oh my god, the headgear, leaves a whole lot to be desired. Because of where things end up on that mask on my head, the headgear strip is course and winds up rubbing my ear and scratching it, NO THANKS,! I sure don't need that, (Ha-Ha-ha.)
Of course, YMMV.
Good luck to you as you try different masks.

I do not get along with Resmed's headgear on the 2 different FFM I tried. I do really like the wisp and the silicone headgear. The chin strap I use isn't a Resmed either and it has been working well for me
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi me50, Yeah, I like the wisp and it's headgear but I don't care for the headgear strip on the Nano. I must have an odd head because I didn't get along with the carefusion or the resmed chinstraps, oh well, it is, what it is. I'll have to try drgrimes ideas as an alternative to a chinstrap, they sound like interesting ways to get around the headlock and the headband, (Ha-Ha.).
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2013, 04:24 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi me50, Yeah, I like the wisp and it's headgear but I don't care for the headgear strip on the Nano. I must have an odd head because I didn't get along with the carefusion or the resmed chinstraps, oh well, it is, what it is. I'll have to try drgrimes ideas as an alternative to a chinstrap, they sound like interesting ways to get around the headlock and the headband, (Ha-Ha.).

yea, some things work for some of us and not for others. They had a chin strap that just goes under your chin and on top of your head, kind of like those bandages you would see in the older movies when they had a toothache and it looked kind of like the material ace bandages are made from but I didn't try it. I did try and make a chin strap from an ace bandage but it didn't work to well. I also have been told that you can order an ace bandage type of chin strap that is held together with Velcro but I got the carefusion and just didn't buy them to see how they work but I might when our 120 degree summers are back again!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 295 5 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 172 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 868 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,801 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 99 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 144 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 79 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.