Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal Mask VS Nasal Pillows.... Help please
Nasal Mask VS Nasal Pillows.... Help please
Hi everyone!

I'm currently having success with my cpap therapy. I started on April 10th. My current mask is an Eson Nasal.
So far it's working pretty well. Occasionally I wake up slightly when I'm turning my head to sleep from on side to the other,
but over all I'm sleeping better than ever (AHI dropped from 30 to under 1 and sometimes just above 1.)

I've seen several members using nasal pillow type masks, and I'm curious how many users have gone from a nasal mask
to a nasal pillow and have found it to be more effective, more comfortable etc.

Any members here made that change and have great results to report? 

Thanks in advance for any feedback!  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal Mask VS Nasal Pillows.... Help please
Its going to depend on you which is more comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2017, 06:42 PM)Surfbear Wrote: I've seen several members using nasal pillow type masks, and I'm curious how many users have gone from a nasal mask
to a nasal pillow and have found it to be more effective, more comfortable etc.

I started out with a nasal mask but switched to nasal pillows because the mask leaked. It leaked because my skin got oily and it leaked because I would roll over on it and dislodge it. I found the nasal pillows much more comfortable, but I did have to apply a salve to my nostrils because it made them sore, but only at first.

After a couple of years I switched to a full face mask because of mouth leaks, and to my surprise I didn't have those leak problems with the mask. I guess that the stress of being a new CPAP user was making my face more oily and was making me toss and turn more. I had aerophagia when I was a newbie and that contributed to the stress, too. I'm a nervous type.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a Eson 2 nasal mask and an Airfit P10 nasal pillow. The P10 is more comfortable hands down. But I cannot control mouth breathing leaks with it, including taping my mouth shut, using a chin strap, and using a cervical neck collar. In order to control the leaks with the Eson 2, I need a chin strap. As soon as I can I will be trying a full face, but for now, I am using the nasal mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I find the pillow more comfortable (P10 feels like it's not even there), but occasionally my nostrils will get irritated or a pimple and I'll have to use an alternative for a week or two.
I get a better seal with a nasal or some full-face, but there is some discomfort from the mask pressing on the sides of my nose, and sometimes increases congestion.

I don't see a notable difference in quality of therapy going by the numbers, but I do sleep better and go to sleep faster with the pillows.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have had better success with the nasal mask, but the pillow type masks are more comfortable and with no leakage. However, with the pillow masks my mouth falls open and I still snore and my AHI is higher. Not sure why the mask creates a vacuum that seals my mouth shut and the pillows do not but que sera sera.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been on CPAP for a little over a month, so I'm new and don't know much yet.   I was given ResMed P20 for Her nasal pillows when I got my machine.  They seemed comfortable at first, but then I started to notice some soreness and it also seemed that I couldn't always find that "sweet spot" where I wouldn't be able to hear my breathing.  I can't fall asleep when I sound like Darth Vader.  It doesn't seem possible, but I seem to be between extra small and small pillow sizes.  I ordered a ResMed N20 nasal mask for Her a couple of weeks ago and I'm liking it quite well, for the most part.  I don't hear my breathing at all, and it's very comfortable, but it seems to vent out a lot of air and sometimes I will feel it blowing across my hand and it bothers me. I've checked it out and everything is attached correctly and the mask seals tightly.  Looking at it, there are just a lot of vent holes.  From what I've read on this forum, a lot of people seem to like to have different masks to change between in case one starts to feel uncomfortable after a while. I like that idea and plan to keep both of these models on hand.  Try something different and see what you think.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use Resmed FX Swift - P 10 pillows and sometimes the FX Nasal mask.
At one stage I was using a nasal mask for 4 or 5 days and then nasal pillow mask for 4 or 5 days. Both of which worked equally well for me.
For the last few months I've been using my P 10 pillows every night. Last week I had a go with my FX nasal mask and it took a few nights to get used to it and sort the leaks out. I'm now back with my P 10 pillows and will stick with them until I get a sore nose (winter here so colds & runny noses may happen).

If you can get a nasal pillow mask from a supplier that lets you trial and return you don't have much to loose trying one.

Good luck and remember masks are a very personal thing one type or size doesn't fit all.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2017, 07:54 PM)Gary1of2 Wrote: Its going to depend on you which is more comfortable.

Thank you Gary1of2!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2017, 08:19 PM)TASmart Wrote: I have a Eson 2 nasal mask and an Airfit P10 nasal pillow. The P10 is more comfortable hands down. But I cannot control mouth breathing leaks with it, including taping my mouth shut, using a chin strap, and using a cervical neck collar. In order to control the leaks with the Eson 2, I need a chin strap. As soon as I can I will be trying a full face, but for now, I am using the nasal mask.

Thanks TASmart!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,765 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  nasal congestion relief sleepingbetterinFl 2 158 03-23-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 99 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 151 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 321 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,077 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,224 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.