Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal Mask vs Nasal Pillow
Nasal Mask vs Nasal Pillow
Hi,

Firstly I will say its great to come to this forum as a new user and I have seen some interesting things Smile

I have had apnea for several years and it was only when my partner has continually been sleeping on the sofa due to the snoring that I realised it´s time to see a dr.  I have been diagnosed with "severe" obstructive apnea and was prescribed cpap.  The machine was delivered a few days ago with a nasal mask and set up to pressure of 13.

Actually the machine works a treat and I am told that apart of the whisper of air noise through the mask I am sleeping in silence now but I have a query regarding the actual mask. 

I am a noisey breather in general through my nose.  In fact, when I am working, staff in the next office often comment that they can hear me breathing.  I always get the sensation that my nsasl passage is a little thinner than normal and I literally cannot tollerate if anyone pinches my nose or anything like that.

Anyway, the cpap nasal mask works well in terms of function but sometimes as I move in the night I feel its pressing a small amount on my nose and this is not uncomfortable but gives me that sensation that my nose is closing. Obviously when this happens in my sleep I have the instinct to remove the mask and wake up with it off.

I have looked at the nasal cushion masks and feel this may be a good idea as it doesnt go "over" my nose so wont put any pressure on my nose from the outside of the nose.  Does anyone have a similar problem and any experience of using this other type of mask?

Many thanks in advance Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal Mask vs Nasal Pillow
Have you looked at the Bleep mask? It is the most minimal (does that even make sense? Unsure ) mask I have used. It rests completely flat outside the nostrils and attaches with tape to the sides of the nose. No pressure over the nose whatsoever. And no headgear. It might be worth a look.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a fairly narrow nose. When I wear either the P10 or P30i nasal cushions it becomes a 'fat' nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome!

I would encourage you to try a nasal pillow mask. The pillows sit on the end of your nose and don't touch the sides of your nose or the bridge of your nose.

Everybody's face is different, so what works for me may not work for thee. That said, the ResMed P10 is a very light-weight, quiet pillow mask with wonderful vent diffusion. I've switched to a mask that works even better for me: the Aloha. Lousy vent, somewhat noisy, but with a fit that is just perfect for me.

Have you ever been checked by an ENT doctor (ear/nose/throat)? Your sensitivity might have an underlying cause that could be rectified.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 1,017 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,178 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale
  Pressure vs. Airflow Burst for Nasal Opening GoodSleepHunting 0 119 04-04-2024, 02:34 PM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 276 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 180 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,286 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,403 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.