Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal Pillows
Nasal Pillows
I started therapy with the DreamWear and it didn't work for me. I had problems getting a good seal and felt starved for air when sleeping on my side. After a few days, I changed to the RedMed N20 nasal mask and have had pretty good results. I get a good seal, and am not having any nose-bridge discomfort. However, it still feels a little cumbersome, so I'd like to give nasal pillows a shot. I still have about 2 weeks left in my insurance trial period.

What would be my best choice for trying nasal pillows? I may only have a chance to try one before making my final decision, so would the RedMed P10 be my best bet?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal Pillows
ResMed P10 is the most popular.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
For me, the Resmed P10 worked the best after trialing a few different manufacturers. Your best bet is to give it a shot and see for yourself if you like that particular one.
Post Reply Post Reply
The P10 is the most popular, so I'd start with that. Next would be it's precursor (which I use now) which is the Swift FX. I thought the P10 was the cat's meow, but my head is just a little too big for it.
Post Reply Post Reply
A position shift and you feel starved for air.  Maybe a chin tuck.  Get a loose fitting cervical collar, too loose for conventional use, to prevent your chin from tucking.  

FYI your daily charts may help to prove or disprove this.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-30-2017, 05:06 PM)bonjour Wrote: A position shift and you feel starved for air.  Maybe a chin tuck.  Get a loose fitting cervical collar, too loose for conventional use, to prevent your chin from tucking.  

FYI your daily charts may help to prove or disprove this.

Fred

That was just with the DreamWear. It seems to be a fairly common complaint with that mask of feeling air-starved when side sleeping, possibly because the side air flow is compressed. I haven't had that issue since switching to the N20, just want to give nasal pillows a try before making a final decision.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it helps ... I'm a DreamWear Gel user. I had airflow restriction issues at first, then I removed the 'wraps' on the sides (cheek area) and the problem was solved. I guess the added diameter was just too much to 'ease' into my face without compression. After removing them, it was clearly flowing better and I preferred the softer, seamless feeling too. Just my experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Esq,

I use the P10 and I love 'em!

I was happy with the Simplus FFM but I wondered if I could do just a bit better.  The P10s were a lot better.

First set I purchased was from Supplier #1 who were offering them with free insurance ... i.e. full refund if they didn't work out.  Never used the insurance, and I have been enjoying the benefits of the P10 ever since.  Almost 2 years now and after three FFMs then the P10s, I have not even thought about a different mask. 

What benefits?   glad you asked ... 
1. comfort, comfort, comfort
2. quiet, quiet, quiet
3. I sleep on my side and move around all my sleeping self wants
4. I don't wake up a couple times a night to adjust a mask for air leaks like I did with FFMs
5. therapeutic air pressure dropped about 4 points vs full face mask
6. better sleep quality (lower AHI numbers , more restful sleep)

notes: 
1. you will get three sizes of pillows with your order of a complete kit, find the size you think fits, and try the next size bigger for more airflow
2. if you wear it upside down you will wake up with a painful columella (um, nose .. I had to look up what that part is called)
    but flip it over and so comfortable. It only fits comfortably one way, and you can probably tell immediately, but I figured it out the morning after.

If you are at all inclined I highly recommend you give it a try. 

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for your input. My DME provider requires that I come back in for a fitting since it wasn't one of my 3 original choices, but I managed to get an appointment this afternoon and so should by able to try the P10 tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-30-2017, 08:32 PM)Tampa Jim Wrote: If it helps ... I'm a DreamWear Gel user. I had airflow restriction issues at first, then I removed the 'wraps' on the sides (cheek area) and the problem was solved. I guess the added diameter was just too much to 'ease' into my face without compression. After removing them, it was clearly flowing better and I preferred the softer, seamless feeling too. Just my experience.

I tried it with the wraps and without, and it didn't seem to make a difference for me. I really wanted it to work because it was very comfortable and I liked the hose input at the top, but it just wouldn't. I also found it really loud and struggled with leaks in addition to the airflow restriction. When on my back, it worked great, but as soon as I rolled over all hell broke loose.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,781 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 326 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 394 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 400 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 935 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 486 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 866 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.