Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal Pillows
Nasal Pillows
I have just been given some ResMed nasal pillows to use. They feel good, but I just don't seem to be getting enough air - any thoughts or similar experiences? I would like to keep using them as they appear kinder to my face than my old nasal mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal Pillows
Minimum pressure could be upped a little if you feel like you aren't getting enough air. Also do you use ramp? If so maybe try turning it off.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Galactus, I had thought of that, currently minimum is 5, maybe I will up it to 7 and see. Also I have never used ramp again I felt I was not getting enough air, even with the nasal mask (which I used for over 5 years).
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, just a note here, your profile says CPAP pressure 8-16. If it is at 5 then certainly it is very likely too low which is causing you the issue. As 4 is the lowest setting and almost everyone finds that uncomfortable. Even at 8 it may be too low for you to be comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
good pick up, 8 it is tonight! I'll let you know how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
All the best hope it works out better for you, let us know.
Post Reply Post Reply
You say, "Resmed Pillows" without giving the actual mask type.

IF it is a Resmed Airfit P10 or mask with similar pillow SIZE choices there is another possibility: Use a LARGER PILLOW.

The holes on the various pillow sizes are actually larger as the pillow size increases. I found AT FIRST that the "Small Pillows" were like trying to breath through a nearly plugged nose while medium and large were both much more comfortable.

Today, I use the small pillows almost exclusively so it wasn't a permanent problem but it was VERY PRONOUNCED in the beginning.

As Galactus has indicated, I couldn't stand any pressure much below 8 (even 9 is much more comfortable for ME.)

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi fair,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I hope the new settings work better for you.
Best of luck to you as you continue CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I would also check the EPR setting. That may need to be increased.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
OK guys, a report back after 2 excellent nights.

First my pillow are the ResMed AirFit P10 with medium pillows (my practitioner lent them to me so he has the large and small which I must reclaim when I go in and buy the AirFit).

I have it set up as Ramp Off, Climate Control Manual (temp 23 deg C, Humidity Level 3), EPR on (full time, level 2), Smart Start Off, Mode Auto Set, Max Pressure 16.0, Min Pressure 8.0.

Seems to be working a treat. I no longer feel as if I am not getting enough air. For my two good nights my pressure has been 10.4 & 11.0, Leak both nights 2 l/min, AHI 0.1 and 0.3.

Thanks for your advice and help.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,765 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 391 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 934 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 484 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 865 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.