Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal Pillows
Nasal Pillows
I have just finished my second week with the cpap. I tried the nasal mask and it was okay. Now I am trying the nasal pillows. Seems like a lot more work to exhale. Where does all the venting go?

With the mask, the venting was uncomfortable, blowing near my face, but on the pillows there is hardly any air coming out. What happens to it? Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal Pillows
It also vents out of the mask. Hold your hand in front of it and you can find it. With my Wisp nasal pillow mask, it vents at about an 80 degree angle down. My cat actually had to change her sleeping position because she was annoyed with the venting.

Some machines have an option to allow you to reduce pressure while exhaling. Way more comfortable. If you can fill in your equipment information, someone can either tell you how to do it or just say, alas, it is not an option, so let's work it a different way.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi kally and welcome to our forum

Put your hand in front of the mask and you'll feel the air coming out from the vents holes

BTW, fill your equipments in your profile
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2015, 07:09 PM)kally Wrote: I have just finished my second week with the cpap. I tried the nasal mask and it was okay. Now I am trying the nasal pillows. Seems like a lot more work to exhale. Where does all the venting go?

With the mask, the venting was uncomfortable, blowing near my face, but on the pillows there is hardly any air coming out. What happens to it? Thanks

kally,
What mask are you using as there are several different nasal pillow masks?
Each mask has a different venting system. Don't worry, you are not rebreathing
the same air. Nasal pillow masks are popular because of their unique venting.

There have been times I wake up in the middle of the night and reach up to feel the air being vented, because it's not that noticeable.

Not knowing what CPAP you are using makes it hard to advise, but most machines have an EPR setting which can give pressure relief when you exhale.

Please fill out your profile with machine name, mask, and pressure settings.
Smile

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi kally,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
With my newish (about 6 weeks) Airfit P10 nasal pillows I really cannot feel the exhaust. But I know it's there. I have to pull the mask off, occasionally, to remind myself that it is running. So you might not always be able to feel it! With my older model, I could always feel it. Some of the newer models are really designed to minimize the feeling of airflow on .... your partner's face, I guess? You just have to trust. It really really IS coming out!
Post Reply Post Reply
You may want to try adjusting the exhale relief. If you have a Phillips machine, it is referred to as x-Flex (x being A or C or?). If it is a Resmed, it is called EPR. Pillows can, to some people, feel a little more smothering on the exhale just due to the nature of the beasts. I've tried it with and without and much prefer it with. My numbers are better with it on, too.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
This is just a loaner. The machine is System One and the mask is ResMed.

It seems when I put it on ramp (5) that there just doesn't seem to be enough air. I really want to like these pillows as they are so less intrusive than the nasal mask, but the whole air thing feels a bit weird.

Is it just a case of getting used to it? I haven't decided which machine to buy yet.
I think my rate is 8 - 12
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe you don't need a ramp. The ramp can feel to me like not enough air is getting through. I prefer just to start at full strength, without ramping. I'm on nasal pillows too; perhaps that affects the sensation.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was trying out these pillows. Maybe I have them too far in my nose. I feel kinda like there is not enough air when they are all the way in. If I let them go a tiny bit looser, it feels like I can breathe better. Has anyone experienced this? Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,769 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 391 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 934 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 485 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 865 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.