Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal Pillows, Chin strap and mouthguard?
RE: Nasal Pillows, Chin strap and mouthguard?
I used a head sweat band quite successfully last night for a chin strap.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2014, 07:53 AM)Skypilot Wrote: I used a head sweat band quite successfully last night for a chin strap.

Interesting idea. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2014, 01:02 AM)JJJ Wrote: <snip>
All elastic will eventually lose its stretchiness, but the waistband material is serious enough that it lasts for at least a month. And it's cheap enough that I don't care if I have to replace it. And I don't have to worry about prescriptions, insurance, co-pays or endless paperwork.

Sounds like a great plan. I'll see what my household can put together, and it'll give them a good excuse for visiting their friend who works at the fabric store as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2014, 06:53 AM)Caddyshack Wrote: Dentist also told me that I grind my teeth and have for a very long time, even in my pre-CPAP days. Suggested I get a mouthguard, BUT the mouthguards I see seem to be so thick that my lips won't/can't close.
I've worn (custom made) night guards for TMJ/grinding problems for close to 30 years and they've ALL been thin enough to easily close my lips.

You don't want an OTC boil-and-bite guard. They are thicker and they're also not as effective if you have a serious grinding problem. Talk to your dentist about getting a custom guard made.

Quote:So, I guess I would have a leak with this type mouthguard/nasal mask???
I've been PAPing for over 3 1/2 years and I've worn nasal pillows masks the whole time with my TMJ guard in place. I've never had any serious leak problems: In the last 3 years with my PR BiPAP, I've had a grand total of 3 Official Large Leaks, the longest of which was about 10 minutes long. Most nights, my leak line is very good.

Quote:Don't remember why I picked the nasal mask and maybe a simple solution would be to get a full-face mask? I am male, but don't have facial hair, so a full face might work though I am used to the nasal pillows.
Full face masks are typically a lot less comfortable for a lot of people. They also can be more difficult to get a good seal, and hence a lot of FFM users do have serious problems with leaks. If you are NOT a mouth breather, there's no real good reason to start using a FFM mask.

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,756 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 595 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 389 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 365 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,101 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 496 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.