Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal Pillows, Chin strap and mouthguard?
RE: Nasal Pillows, Chin strap and mouthguard?
I used a head sweat band quite successfully last night for a chin strap.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2014, 07:53 AM)Skypilot Wrote: I used a head sweat band quite successfully last night for a chin strap.

Interesting idea. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2014, 01:02 AM)JJJ Wrote: <snip>
All elastic will eventually lose its stretchiness, but the waistband material is serious enough that it lasts for at least a month. And it's cheap enough that I don't care if I have to replace it. And I don't have to worry about prescriptions, insurance, co-pays or endless paperwork.

Sounds like a great plan. I'll see what my household can put together, and it'll give them a good excuse for visiting their friend who works at the fabric store as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2014, 06:53 AM)Caddyshack Wrote: Dentist also told me that I grind my teeth and have for a very long time, even in my pre-CPAP days. Suggested I get a mouthguard, BUT the mouthguards I see seem to be so thick that my lips won't/can't close.
I've worn (custom made) night guards for TMJ/grinding problems for close to 30 years and they've ALL been thin enough to easily close my lips.

You don't want an OTC boil-and-bite guard. They are thicker and they're also not as effective if you have a serious grinding problem. Talk to your dentist about getting a custom guard made.

Quote:So, I guess I would have a leak with this type mouthguard/nasal mask???
I've been PAPing for over 3 1/2 years and I've worn nasal pillows masks the whole time with my TMJ guard in place. I've never had any serious leak problems: In the last 3 years with my PR BiPAP, I've had a grand total of 3 Official Large Leaks, the longest of which was about 10 minutes long. Most nights, my leak line is very good.

Quote:Don't remember why I picked the nasal mask and maybe a simple solution would be to get a full-face mask? I am male, but don't have facial hair, so a full face might work though I am used to the nasal pillows.
Full face masks are typically a lot less comfortable for a lot of people. They also can be more difficult to get a good seal, and hence a lot of FFM users do have serious problems with leaks. If you are NOT a mouth breather, there's no real good reason to start using a FFM mask.

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Do dedicated CPAP pillows actually help? Old Moondog 0 26 1 hour ago
Last Post: Old Moondog
  Chin Tucking as cause of apnea ejbpesca 119 6,822 04-12-2024, 01:32 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,210 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 668 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 505 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 445 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,341 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.