Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal Pillows Deteriorating?
Nasal Pillows Deteriorating?
I have a Resmed P10 nasal pillosw for about 6 months now. I usually get really low leaks. The last couple of weeks, I get the following leaks. Although it's not bad, but it has been consistently better. Could this be the nasal pillows deteriorating? Do I need a new one?

[Image: 22537660720_0e0f5f5b9d_b.jpg]

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal Pillows Deteriorating?
Sorry I can't make the image to appear. Most of the leaks are less than 19/L but the graph is very spiky through out the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi hcubed
The picture of the pillows is not showing up
I think cushions replacement under medicare every 30 days, I would be happy with 6 months
Good luck

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2015, 05:40 PM)hcubed Wrote: Most of the leaks are less than 19/L but the graph is very spiky through out the night.
Less than 24 L/m is acceptable per ResMed, the spiky bit might be some mouth leaks
Have you tried chinstrap?

Post Reply Post Reply
I'd figured it out. The software doesn't like https. I've re-linked the image to an http:.

I've been getting very little leaks for the last 5 months and the graph of the leak is fairly flatlined. It's just been the last couple of weeks that I've been experiencing these kind of leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
hcubed,
Most insurances and Medicare's replacement schedule is 2 pillows per month. The pillows do get soft and don't hold their seal as well. If you are using the same pillow for 6 months, then I think you more than got your use from it.

If you have insurance coverage, take advantage of the replacement schedule. Medicare also replaces a new mask every 90 days, and most insurance companies follow the Medicare replacement schedule.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started getting spikes like yours. I tried fitting in a new pillow and the spikes went away. Now, it could be deterioration, but it could also be that the pillow is squashing when you sleep on your side resulting in a repeated break of the seal. This happened after only a month of use. I soaked it in warm-hot water for about 20 minutes. I no longer have the problem. Silicone ages when you use it. How long it lasts varies on so many levels. 6 months is amazing!

I can get 2 pillows per month, but I know plenty of people here get several months out one of pillow. If you don't have insurance or have a high deductible, try Ebay. I got pillows for another mask that way.
Post Reply Post Reply
I ran a pillow for 3 years. Just replaced it and the fit & feel is alot better.
Post Reply Post Reply
The silicone material does break down with time. If you try and press the nose pillow down on your 6 month old p10, you will see that it yields and gives in more easily than a brand new pillow.

Also, you should probably change it every few months as they are fairly cheap on eBay. I change mine at 6 months.

Resmed has somehow convinced insurance cos in US to pay for pillows every 15 days. The same resmed recommends a much larger time frame in other countries though.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,087 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 491 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 446 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 972 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 535 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 946 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Symptoms] Waking up with dry mouth with nasal pillows migui0323 3 581 01-05-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.