Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal Pillows Verses Full Face Mask
Nasal Pillows Verses Full Face Mask
Why on the Cpap machine do you have to pick a Nasal Pillow or Full Face mask in set up, is it because each delivers a lower pressure, as I tried a nasal pillow mask last night and didn't set my Resmed to a nasal pillow mask, but left it in full face mode, and ended up with blood coming from my nose this morning?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal Pillows Verses Full Face Mask
(10-29-2019, 10:52 PM)AFM1 Wrote: Why on the Cpap machine do you have to pick a Nasal Pillow or Full Face mask in set up, is it because each delivers a lower pressure, as I tried a nasal pillow mask last night and didn't set my Resmed to a nasal pillow mask, but left it in full face mode, and ended up with blood coming from my nose this morning?
The pressure you actually receive is not the same as the pressure in the machine unless no air is flowing. There is pressure drop in both the hose and mask that is proportional to the flow rate. There is also some leak designed into the mask. The machine needs to know how to compensate for this.

I suspect your bloody nose was caused by dryness though. You may need more humidity with a pillow mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't experienced a bloody nose with my nasal pillow mask, but my nose was very sore for the first 4-5 nights. I use the large pillows on both the ResMed AirFit P10 and now the P30i. If not positioned correctly, the outside edge of the pillow mask opening seems to almost cut into the tissue of my nose. Also, if not positioned properly, the pillow edges can vibrate like a kite in the wind and cause irritation of the nasal tissue. I really like the P30i, as I am a side-to-side sleeper. The hose fitting at the top of my head allows me to roll from one side to another during the night.

There are other posts on how to select the proper size of pillow for your mask. I hope you adjust to your new mask.

Dormeo posted about a skin ointment you might want to try until you adjust. This helped me. Her post is here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid314091
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-30-2019, 09:17 PM)encourage Wrote: I haven't experienced a bloody nose with my nasal pillow mask, but my nose was very sore for the first 4-5 nights. I use the large pillows on both the ResMed AirFit P10 and now the P30i. If not positioned correctly, the outside edge of the pillow mask opening seems to almost cut into the tissue of my nose. Also, if not positioned properly, the pillow edges can vibrate like a kite in the wind and cause irritation of the nasal tissue. I really like the P30i, as I am a side-to-side sleeper. The hose fitting at the top of my head allows me to roll from one side to another during the night.

There are other posts on how to select the proper size of pillow for your mask. I hope you adjust to your new mask.

Dormeo posted about a skin ointment you might want to try until you adjust. This helped me. Her post is here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid314091

I am still in the trialing stage and am trialing out different masks, I am trying out the P30i with the pillows as I casnnot find a full face mask that covers my wide mouth, they all seem to be a standard width, on reading other posts I feel the humidifier wasn't high enough as it was a little better last night, I already put a little cream in my nose as they have always been dry.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also have a hard time with full face masks coming up over the corner of my mouth if I move my mouth even slightly. I feel your frustration there! Soak your pillows in very warm soapy water for an hour. It’ll soften them up. That worked perfect with my P30i pillows. At first I experienced the same what felt like a sharp edge digging into my nose. If it still happens slightly and it might on occasion I’ve come up with a routine that works great to avoid it entirely after softening them. I put it on, turn the machine on, let it come up to pressure then pull them out slightly and slowly rest them back in. It gives them even more of a pillowy feeling you could say and are comfortable through the night. Some nights I’ll wake up and have to check if they are still in and that the machine is still on. I’m half asleep of course but that’s how comfortable they are, for me at least. 

As for the bloody nose it sounds like you need more heated humidification. The ClimateLine Air solved both the dryness and rainout once the temp outside dropped here in the northeast. I highly recommend that hose if you have either of those problems. Supplier #1 has it for $30
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,763 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 514 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 317 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,077 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,224 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,588 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.