Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal Pillows and Mask Leak
RE: Nasal Pillows and Mask Leak
If you have the machine set to auto start and stop it can turn itself off when a major leak(s) occur because it thinks you took the mask off, and then later turn itself back on when you return to normal breathing. It is possible of this to happen without waking you, since there is a valve which will allow you to breath if the machine turns off (power failsafe).

I suggest turning off autostart and trying it for a couple days and see if you see more of those power off cycles in the chart.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks FrankNichols. I've turned off the AutoStart feature. Didn't notice any differences last night with it off.

On another note, I'm starting to wonder if waking earlier than usual is the result of the CPAP doing it's job and getting quality sleep (I think someone suggested this). Usually I sleep 12 hours a night. Not sure the exact cause of why this is. It is possible that the OSA is responsible, but I have other comorbid conditions. Usually after the CPAP wakes me up and I can't stop the mouth leaks, I pull off the mask, turn off the machine and fall back asleep for a few more hours. Getting 6 hours of sleep even with the CPAP still makes me groggy all day. I'm thinking though that part of the problem could be that my body hasn't adjusted for so little sleep. I don't know, we'll see.
Post Reply Post Reply
That looks acceptable. Keep working on it. What do you mean you turn the machine off? Why couldn't you make a mask adjustment to stop or slow leak?

It is still to soon, but your range is way to wide, look at your pressures. 10.80 max and 9.64 95%. When its all said and done, you will be about 9 min and 12 or 13 max. Need to see more data to confirm this though.

I would like to see the #'s under leaks statistics, but overall that is a good night. Time, leak, AHI, respiratory, and flow limit all well within range.

(09-05-2016, 09:22 PM)resaebiunne Wrote: Here is last nights data:

http://k1vzx.com/files/screenshot-20160905-221912.png

Doesn't seem like any significant leaks to me? Or it could just be that I turn the unit off when I can't prevent the mouth leaks.

Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:That looks acceptable. Keep working on it. What do you mean you turn the machine off? Why couldn't you make a mask adjustment to stop or slow leak?

I don't think I was clear when writing the topic for this thread. It should probably say "Nasal Pillows and Mouth leak".

The problem is not the mask, but rather when I wake up, I can't control the mouth leak. If I close my mouth and move my tongue into position, air still leaks by and puffs my cheeks up. The machine itself gives me a smiley face for mask leak but the data seems to show otherwise. I checked the pressure the other day when this happened and the machine showed somewhere around 8 or so. So I know the pressure isn't spiking too high.

I've ordered a chin strap so we'll see if that helps.

Edit: I should also mention that I've started taking Flonase to control my chronic congestion. It's helped a lot. Additionally, I keep the humidity on max. Inside temperature is around 80F and I'm used to the Florida humidity anyway. No rainout issues or condensation on the mask or hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing I notice looking at your data, your leaks don't correlate with higher pressure, so that's not a problem. I think in time, this problem will diminish as you become more accustomed to the pressure. Like any activitiy, CPAP nasal therapy requires that you build up some endurance in those muscles involved in containing the pressure. As time goes on, this will become effortless and the muscle memory to keep your tongue in place, and other skills that are involved.

Long time users of nasal pillows can even talk with the pressure, or sip water and even breath alternately through the nose and mouth. It takes time to develop that skill and control, but it will come. You can learn how to control the pressure by practicing with it, and that may help. Anyway, it seems most of your night is relatively leak-free, and you're doing great for just getting started.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider! That's good to know. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-06-2016, 09:36 PM)resaebiunne Wrote: If I close my mouth and move my tongue into position, air still leaks by and puffs my cheeks up.

Based on that description, I'd say that your tongue is not in the correct position. If I relax mine or move it a bit out of position, this will happen. In the correct, sealed position I can open my lips and there is zero air flow.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can put my tongue into the right position and it completely blocks the air leak, even up to pressures as high as 20, and does it without any "effort". It works like a valve for me when it is in the right position the airway is closed - period.

My problem is that despite practicing, that works while I am awake, then about 30 minutes after falling asleep my mouth opens and my tongue moves and I don't wake up until my mouth feels like a parched sandstone rock in the desert sun - seriously dry to the point of the skin between my gums and cheeks cracking. I have to go to a sink and rinse my mouth carefully with out moving it too much or I end up with cracks which are not fun while they heal.

I envy all of you that can make it work - I really would like to be able to use the P10 instead of the F10.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
I've never had problems with dry mouth while using the CPAP. Before the CPAP I would regularly wake up with a dry mouth, so no problems there.
Post Reply Post Reply
I still haven't got my new nasal mask to work correctly. Sure would appreciate some suggestions. Right now where it is set seems to be the best so far. I at 5. E at 4. BIPAP. After a a bit, say one hour at the most I awake, feeling like my nose is being ripped off my face, sinus cavity all swollen. My oximeter stays around 98-99, and with out the mask, I sleep great, generally 8 hours at a time.

vcottom@ma.rr.com
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 6 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 239 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,765 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 99 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 153 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.