Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal Pillows and Nasal Congestion
Nasal Pillows and Nasal Congestion
I have seen several posts  (one this morning) stating that nasal pillows will work for those of us who suffer from chronic nasal congestion. Is there a trick to this? I breath fine through my nose during the day but the moment my head hits the pillow I can't.

I also have issues with losing air through my mouth, even with a chin strap (10 yrs ago I started out with a nasal mask) but it appears there are ways to deal with that. It's getting past the congestion that I don't understand.

From all the glowing reviews I see for nasal pillows I'd like to try them but don't understand how they would work for me.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal Pillows and Nasal Congestion
Melman, I feel your pain. While standing and moving around no problem with my sinuses but when I lay down one will clog up. If I change to the sleep on the opposite side it just moves the congestion to that side. I had failed at xPAP about 8 years ago because I just couldn't handle all the issues I had with a FFM. This time around I heeded the advice of Sleeprider and tried the P10 nasal pillows. These things really are great. I decided I was going to make them work NO MATTER WHAT. To add to the adjustment, I have exhaled through my mouth for years because while working out was always told that's the way you're suppose to do it. I use a chin strap, paper surgical tape over my mouth and Xyliments for the dry mouth, but to me it's worth it to stay with the P10's. I have been able to remove the tape lately by practicing the tongue technique and eventually hope to be able to ditch the chin strap too. It takes time but it's a price I'm willing to pay.

I can't really explain why using the P10's helps so much with the congestion but for some reason it works great. As soon as I put them on and connect up I don't feel congested at all and usually fall asleep within 1-2 minutes. My guess is the warm, humid air that is being forced into my sinuses keeps them open during the night. In the morning I always have some drainage but while hooked up never a problem. Since starting therapy back in 11/16 I have been 100% compliant and wouldn't think of sleeping without my xPAP.

I would say to give the P10's a try. I hope they work as well for you as they have for me.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
I also experience nasal congestion in the spring time with my hay fever which has fully kicked in now. I have found that since using the P10 with the humidifier on auto for my machine, my nasal congestion has been much reduced and I can say actually eliminated by also using my normal nasal spray prescribed by my doctor every spring time. In the past, even with the nasal spray I would still get some congestion during the day. Now, my nasal passages have never been clearer. Even during the winter! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Melman,
I can't explain it either, but using the P10 nasal pillow mask clears up any congestion I feel within a few minutes of going to bed.  

At first I did tend to mouth breath a little, so wore a chin strap for awhile until I perfected the Tongue Seal Technique.  Once I had that perfected, I got rid of the chin strap.  I think I flung it into the next zip code.   Big Grin

Now, I also have a tendency to tuck my chin into my chest, which cuts off my air supply. Sad
So I use a soft half moon type pillow (made for toddlers) and place under my chin.  Some folk use a soft cervical collar.  I just didn't like the feeling of the cervical collar wrapping around my neck.

All of the above is worth pursuing to be able to use the P10.  If you are a mouth breather, practice this technique.  It takes a little time and patience.

Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth with the tip of tongue behind front teeth.  Then gently suck upwards.  This places your tongue in a natural position and creates a seal at the back of your throat so that if you open your mouth, no air will escape.

You have nothing to lose by trying this, except a full face mask and chin strap.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with all of the above.

I thought I was a mouth breather. And I lived in an area where I truly could not get a full breath through my nose. But whatdyaknow, a nasal mask (DreamWear) has worked great for me!

I agree that the secret seems to be the forced air, combined with the warm humidity. So for me, it is worth it to have the heated hose (while using the humidifier).

Also, I wash my face with warm water before bed. It helps get the oils off my face (for a better mask seal), but it also loosens up my nasal passages. Then I blow my nose at least twice before going to bed.

And I've been shocked that this has allowed me to successfully use the nasal mask!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Warm humid air has been mentioned in every response. Are you using heated hoses? I use an unheated hose with a heated humidifier but would not describe the air as warm. I'll have to focus on that tonight.

I'm wondering if a heated hose is the secret to success.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use a heated hose. The air is definitely warm once the water in the humidifier has heated up. If you don't have a heated hose you could always get one of those "hose cosies" that wrap around and insulate the hose... In fact, I have even ordered one of those from pad a cheek. More so to keep the hose quiet when it rubs against the head board but the added insulation may not be a bad thing even with a heated hose.

I notice you have the F20 Melman. How is that working out for you? I'm thinking of having one for backup if I ever get a really bad cold and if my P10 isn't able to keep my nostrils clear and I have to breath through my mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
The F20 is working very well It is the best mask I've used. The only issue I have with it is that it occasionally rides up so that the lower seal is right at my lip and I get a large leak. The same problem occurred with my other 2 favorite masks, the AmaraView, and the Quatro FX.

If you decide on the F20, be aware that the headgear, just as the cushion comes in Sm, Med, and lg sizes. It appears they package the headgear that matches the cushion in the box and I wasn't told when I got the mask that the headgear is available in different sizes. The medium cushion was right for my face so I got the med headgear by default. I think the large headgear may have prevented the problem I'm having. Fortunately it's not to serious. Out of the last 10 nights the 90% leak rate was 0 for 7.

It takes a little more adjustment then some at first but once I got it right it has been very comfortable.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2017, 05:38 PM)Melman Wrote: The F20 is working very well It is the best mask I've used. The only issue I have with it is that it occasionally rides up so that the lower seal is right at my lip and I get a large leak. The same problem occurred with my other 2 favorite masks, the AmaraView, and the Quatro FX.

If you decide on the F20, be aware that the headgear, just as the cushion comes in Sm, Med, and lg sizes. It appears they package the headgear that matches the cushion in the box and I wasn't told when I got the mask that the headgear is available in different sizes. The medium cushion was right for my face so I got the med headgear by default. I think the large headgear may have prevented the problem I'm having. Fortunately it's not to serious. Out of the last 10 nights the 90% leak rate was 0 for 7.

It takes a little more adjustment then some at first but once I got it right it has been very comfortable.

Thanks very much for the detailed explanation!  Sorry for the hijack.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I am using a heated hose. My previous non heated hose made the air too cold for my lungs.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,752 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  nasal congestion relief sleepingbetterinFl 2 156 03-23-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 97 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 144 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 314 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,221 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.