Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal Pillows and REALLY high pressures
Nasal Pillows and REALLY high pressures
Does anyone manage to use nasal pillows who also has to use REALLY high pressures (like 18 to 20 cm H20)?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal Pillows and REALLY high pressures
I think that there are some that use the nasal pillows at higher pressures. During my second titration they tried nasal pillows on me but as hard as the tech tried they could not get them to quit leaking. My pressure is 20 cm/H2O. I do not know whose nasal pillows they were but they would not stop leaking. I suspect that they were not the P10 nasal pillows because I think it was before the P10s hit the market.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I use nasal pillows and my 95% is around 18. I hit 20 often. It depends on the pillows, really. Some will seal better and stay on better. Some just will NOT. I use the Nuance and have no trouble.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the P10 a couple of times but couldn't get it to stop leaking at pressures over 16 or so. The absence of proper headgear on that mask is probably a contributing factor. Based on my experience I couldn't recommed it for anyone with higher pressures.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't remember if I had problems with the high pressures exactly. But I do remember I had to increase the EPR because I had trouble breathing out. Especially as the pressure cliimbed. With the P10 I mean.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for everyone's responses. I tried the P10s (for my 84 yr mom) and she just hated them. It's my thought that having that high pressure directly into her nose was a bit too much. She most definitely had trouble breathing out. Altho she doesn't like her mask (F10), at least it defuses the pressure just a little but, even with EPR set to 3, she has trouble breathing out with it too.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a pressure of 11 and with nasal pillows my mouth kept blowing during sleep. So everyone is different. Have you tried a nasal mask? I'm using the wisp now and love it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2015, 08:16 AM)suedanem Wrote: Thanks for everyone's responses. I tried the P10s (for my 84 yr mom) and she just hated them. It's my thought that having that high pressure directly into her nose was a bit too much. She most definitely had trouble breathing out. Altho she doesn't like her mask (F10), at least it defuses the pressure just a little but, even with EPR set to 3, she has trouble breathing out with it too.

Generally speaking a person with those pressures and exhale problems can qualify for full bilevel. I really can't see putting an 84 year old woman on a CPAP at 20 cm without providing adequate exhale relief that could only come from a bilevel.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2015, 09:06 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(03-13-2015, 08:16 AM)suedanem Wrote: Thanks for everyone's responses. I tried the P10s (for my 84 yr mom) and she just hated them. It's my thought that having that high pressure directly into her nose was a bit too much. She most definitely had trouble breathing out. Altho she doesn't like her mask (F10), at least it defuses the pressure just a little but, even with EPR set to 3, she has trouble breathing out with it too.

Generally speaking a person with those pressures and exhale problems can qualify for full bilevel. I really can't see putting an 84 year old woman on a CPAP at 20 cm without providing adequate exhale relief that could only come from a bilevel.

I totally agree with you Sleeprider. We had an appointment with mom's GP yesterday. She's the one that prescribed the APAP after a home study. I pleaded my case for a Bilevel, but she wants mom to have a sleep study in a sleep lab and is setting us up for an appointment. She said that she would let the sleep doctor make the determination as to whether to use BiLevel. So....we wait. In the meantime, I turned mom's top pressure down a bit. At 20, her AHI is around 4 to 5. Bringing down the pressure seems to increase her OA a little bit, but mom and I decided that if we could keep her overall AHI around 6 to 14, we would settle for that until she can have the sleep study in the lab. Last night, her AHI was 11, but she had a MUCH better night in regards to getting to sleep and staying asleep. And 11 is still much much better than the home sleep study where her AHI was 44. ( She barely slept during the sleep study. If she had gotten into REM sleep during the study, I think it would have been much higher as that is what I see on her nightly charts.)
Post Reply Post Reply
I would encourage you to attend your mom's appt with the sleep center as an advocate to explain the history and some of your data results. Even your GP should be willing to go with a bilevel based on the case you presented here. Once the prescription for APAP is made, the transition to bilevel is only based on tolerance and medical need. It's not like you're going to discover a different diagnosis. Even better, be sure the test you are sent for is bilevel titration, not strictly diagnostic.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,765 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 701 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 108 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,433 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.