Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal Pillows and high pressure
Nasal Pillows and high pressure
My current pressure is 12. I use the Breeze nasal pillow mask and love it lots.

However, I have a feeling my pressure needs to be increased. Previously, the doc has gone up 2cmH2O each time. With the Autoset, I plan on putting it on 10 and 16. But I know the limit for nasal pillows is 15.

So if I have to go higher than 15, what happens? Is it that the pressure is too much being directed directly into the nose vs being buffered by the face? Or is it that the pillows lift away from the face?

The Breeze has a rigid headgear. There's a tightening nut on the nose piece. If I tightened this way tight, then it wouldn't lift off so I wouldn't have a problem. But if it is the other, I'm in trouble.

I cannot wear nasal masks. I've tried a lot of different kinds and they all leak at my eyes.

I tried a hybrid mask (The Liberty, I think) and it shredded my lips. I was like a skydiver with my mouth wide open, lips flapping in the breeze. My face was actually wind burned.

I really don't want to start trying new masks again. (insert sounds of me whining)
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal Pillows and high pressure
Hi Paula, I use nasal pillows and have gone as high as 18cmH20. I don't use the same pillow system--mine is the ResMed Swift FX (For Her), but I've never had a problem with the pillows trying to blast off from my face or anything. And the clinic didn't see any problem with using nasal pillows at that pressure.

Just last week I asked that my upper (auto) pressure be adjusted from 18 (where it's been for six months) down to 17, only because at 18, there's an increased chance of the pressure causing my mouth to fall open during sleep. At 17, that doesn't happen.

The Swift FX has a completely flexible headgear that I really like. I've never tried the Breeze so I can't speak to that one. But I can't wear nasal masks either and this nasal pillow system feels like I don't have any mask on at all. :-)
Soferet [so- FEHR- et; Hebrew; feminine] noun: writer, author

"I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?"
—Ernest Hemingway

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with the Swift FX, to me it is like not having a mask on. My pressure is currently only eight though. The adjustment is very simple without having to remove the pillows. I'm not sure I could tolerate a Mask although I would try whatever it takes for effective therapy.
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply
I looked at the pics of the Swift FX and I don't think that's one I have used.

I've used:
Mirage Swift
Swift LT
Comfort Lite

And I think there was another one or two but I didn't see it on the site I visited.

Glad to hear I don't have to change masks!
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2012, 10:35 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: My current pressure is 12. I use the Breeze nasal pillow mask and love it lots.

However, I have a feeling my pressure needs to be increased. Previously, the doc has gone up 2cmH2O each time. With the Autoset, I plan on putting it on 10 and 16. But I know the limit for nasal pillows is 15.
This is only my opinion ... of course you and others might differ ... but at the end "all roads lead to Rome"
I would set the minimum 8 or 9 and keep the maximum pressure at 12 (for now) also turn off Ramp and EPR if using any.
You can always see what ResScan graph look like, for example if pressure stayed at the upper pressure all night long and tons of obstructive apnea recorded ... than you know it has to a bit higher. I prefer to be at the lowest pressure possible without compromising the treatment
Its going take some timmmme finding that sweet spot in terms of comfort, sleep quality and numbers crunching (give and take sort of thing)
Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, that's why I thought to go to 16. Not too high but high enough that I will have usable data in a few weeks. And I don't think I would feel like I am getting enough air less than 10. It's why I turned off the ramp.

It gets here Wednesday.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2012, 10:35 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I really don't want to start trying new masks again. (insert sounds of me whining)

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_ovQyPBQZdOZDnQ5JLGR...uWwDJSZ36P]

The 15 cm limit for nasal pillows seems to be a bit of a myth, but any kind of mask tends to have more problems at higher pressure. Try it and see if it works for you.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Too-funnyLaugh-a-lot

Yep, that'd be me!

I feel good knowing I most likely won't have to change masks.

PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,752 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 124 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 688 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 104 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 116 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,412 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 315 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.