Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal Pillows at high pressure
Nasal Pillows at high pressure
I was wondering if anyone has had success with nasal pillows at high pressures. I use a VPAP and pretty much max out the pressure, but I haven't been using it like I shoudl for a while. I've been having a lot of dental problems, and the mask pressing against my upper jaw causes me a lot of discomfort when I'm having issues. While I was being diagnosed with apnea, I used a nasal pillow for several tests, and LOVED them, but my dr won't entertain the option of even trying it with the pressure I need.

I've had no issues at all with the high pressure with a mask, and I'm willing to give the pillows a shot personally, cause if they work, it eliminates my concerns about the mask causing me even more problems with my teeth.

If I remember correctly, the pressure I'm set at is 30/25. Has anyone used a nasal pillow anywhere near this pressure that has worked for you?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal Pillows at high pressure
Welcome to the forum!!! We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome

I don't have any advice for you on whether Nasal Pillows can be used at high pressure. Sorry I couldn't give you any guidance on that.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
From what I understand, nasal pillows are only recommended up to 15. I'm not sure why. I keep meaning to experiment with mine to see what happens. I am assuming the force of the air could possibly damage the sinuses since it goes directly in without the cheeks or external nose as a buffer. It could also be that the force pushes the mask off and causes leaks.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi icewlf, Welcome! to the forum! I don't know the answer to your question but just keep checkin' back into the forum as I'm sure someone will be able to answer it for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2012, 05:38 PM)icewlf Wrote: I was wondering if anyone has had success with nasal pillows at high pressures. I use a VPAP and pretty much max out the pressure, but I haven't been using it like I shoudl for a while. I've been having a lot of dental problems, and the mask pressing against my upper jaw causes me a lot of discomfort when I'm having issues. While I was being diagnosed with apnea, I used a nasal pillow for several tests, and LOVED them, but my dr won't entertain the option of even trying it with the pressure I need.

I've had no issues at all with the high pressure with a mask, and I'm willing to give the pillows a shot personally, cause if they work, it eliminates my concerns about the mask causing me even more problems with my teeth.

If I remember correctly, the pressure I'm set at is 30/25. Has anyone used a nasal pillow anywhere near this pressure that has worked for you?

Hi Icewlf Welcome:
I have no data to base this on, but I believe the reason they claim that nasal pillows should not be used above 15 is because of the leaks. The higher my auto takes me during the night, the higher my leak rate. And of course if you are leaking like a sieve, you are not getting the pressure you need for proper therapy. Now I could be wrong, it is just an opinion I formed and my own experiences. Occasionally my pressure will go over 15 ...well actually over 14.5 I have noticed a marked increase in leaks. Might just be me, I'm not sure. But I do know if I am over 14.5 I am usually awake trying to reset the leak.
Good luck to you!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
I don,t use nasal pillows and my pressure not as high as yours. In theory the nasal pillows is a good choice for high pressure as the pillows sit on the nostrils and the air inside would expand the cushion and create a tight seal
Most nasal pillows users use Lansinoh HPA cream to soothe sore noses.

Post Reply Post Reply
Check the Suppliers List here, or anywhere on the web. Manufacturers list the maximum pressure allowed for their masks. I think the issue with too high a pressure is that it causes the nasal pillows to pop out of the nostrils.

I'm not sure if nasal prongs might work instead of nasal pillows, but you can check that out on the web, too.

Personally, I have no experience with pressures above 13 cm. Sorry.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've used nasal pillows in the 15 - 18 range; the higher the pressure, the more likely the chance of popping the pillows out of your nasal openings. I was not aware that you could have pressures above the 20+. I can't imagine what it would feel like to have that much pressure being blown up my nose!!
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
On the Respironics masks intentional leaks charts listed the rates up to 40 cmH2O (including nasal pillows)
http://www.healthcare.philips.com/asset....111027.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2012, 11:17 PM)zonk Wrote: On the Respironics masks intentional leaks charts listed the rates up to 40 cmH2O (including nasal pillows)
http://www.healthcare.philips.com/asset....111027.pdf

Good information, but it only lists Respironics masks. Sad
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 299 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  [Pressure] High pressure Tomarovsch 1 112 04-12-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,105 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 136 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Pressure vs. Airflow Burst for Nasal Opening GoodSleepHunting 0 107 04-04-2024, 02:34 PM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 182 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 174 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.