Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal Pillows vs. Full Face Mask
RE: Nasal Pillows vs. Full Face Mask
(05-01-2018, 07:24 PM)NotADr Wrote:
(05-01-2018, 07:06 PM)Barron1961 Wrote: illawarriorThere is a third option you haven't mentioned, and that is a Nasal Mask (not nasal pillows, but covers the entire nose). I found this worked best for me. I hated the full face mask, and the nasal pillows were making my nostrils look really flared. No mask will ever be truly comfortable, but this style seemed better than most, and the Resmed one, quieter.

Not really considering a nasal mask because I am a mouth breather and it would require me to continue using a chin strap which is really hit or miss as to whether they would fit or not. I never know what I am going to get because I never get the same chin strap twice in a row. Also they wear out quickly but Medicare will only pay for one every six months.

Have you tried mouth taping?  I know it's a controversial topic but it works for me.  I couldn't get decent sleep with either a chin strap or a cervical collar.  I only use a one strip -- it's about 1 inch wide and 1.5 inches long, and place it in the middle of my mouth.  I get the kind made for sensitive skin.  It keeps my mouth closed but there is enough room to slip in a skinny straw on the side of my mouth during the night if I feel a drink of water.  Hopefully after another year or so my mind will adjust to getting into the habit of sleeping with my mouth closed without using tape, but in the meantime it's not a big deal to keep using it.  In any case, good luck with your treatment and hang in there!

Never heard of mouth taping. Your the only person I have met that  does it. I don't know that I could get used to having something taped to my lips.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am getting the ResMed AirTouch F20 FFM. I called about it today and it is being shipped to me. It should arrive in a a day or two since it is coming from a warehouse here in Nashville. I have been trying an F&P Simplus but my stats on it have been terrible. Major leakage over 25.8%, and I cannot get the bridge of the nose to stop ? leaking. I wake up with a headache using it. Hopefully I will have better luck with the ResMed. If not I will just keep plugging until I find a mask that doesn’t keep me up all night and is comfortable.
RedBarron

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ because it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, first for the Jew, and also for the Greek [Gentile]." Romans 1:16 CSB
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2018, 12:36 AM)Barron1961 Wrote: I am getting the ResMed AirTouch F20 FFM. I called about it today and it is being shipped to me. It should arrive in a a day or two since it is coming from a warehouse here in Nashville. I have been trying an F&P Simplus but my stats on it have been terrible. Major leakage over 25.8%, and I cannot get the bridge of the nose to stop ? leaking. I wake up with a headache using it. Hopefully I will have better luck with the ResMed. If not I will just keep plugging until I find a mask that doesn’t keep me up all night and is comfortable.

I had the same problem with the Simplus. I think you'll like the F20. Just in case the Air Touch doesn't work for you give the AirFit a try. That way you only have to buy the cushion to replace. Though it's the same frame the AirTouch and AirFit fit a little differently.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2018, 05:58 AM)Walla Walla Wrote:
(05-22-2018, 12:36 AM)Barron1961 Wrote: I am getting the ResMed AirTouch F20 FFM. I called about it today and it is being shipped to me. It should arrive in a a day or two since it is coming from a warehouse here in Nashville. I have been trying an F&P Simplus but my stats on it have been terrible. Major leakage over 25.8%, and I cannot get the bridge of the nose to stop ? leaking. I wake up with a headache using it. Hopefully I will have better luck with the ResMed. If not I will just keep plugging until I find a mask that doesn’t keep me up all night and is comfortable.

I had the same problem with the Simplus. I think you'll like the F20. Just in case the Air Touch doesn't work for you give the AirFit a try. That way you only have to buy the cushion to replace. Though it's the same frame the AirTouch and AirFit fit a little differently.

Thanks Walla Walla. I will remember that. To be honest I was surprised that they were going to send the AirTouch. I was under the impression that my insurance company wouldn’t pay for it. Guess I was told wrong.
RedBarron

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ because it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, first for the Jew, and also for the Greek [Gentile]." Romans 1:16 CSB
Post Reply Post Reply
I too use this Resmed Product alongside my Fixed Pressure machine.Commercial Link Removed, google Cpap Friendlies, au website.
I find it comfortable and I've been sleeping! IMO the Resmed range seems to just work best, but that could just be for my needs and face shape. Big Grin

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
Guess we'll find out tonight if the ResMed mask works better for me than the Simplus. It came in the mail today and I will use it tonight to see if it works better. It felt more comfortable than the Simplus when I was adjusting it with Mask Fit.
RedBarron

Post Reply Post Reply
Huhsign I have been using the AirTouch F20 for about a week now and I love it. However, I am having an issue with it that is quite perplexing to me. It has a very low leak rate and hasn’t woken me up once to adjust it. The problem is that when I put the mask on the bottom of it rests between my lower lip and top of the chin in the cleft. But when I wake up in the morning the mask has crawled up my face so that the bottom of the mask is now above my lower lip. If I am mouth breathing the bottom of the mask ends up in myself ?. I triEd loosening the top straps some so that they didn’t pull up on the mask quite so much but it didn’t help. I still ll had no leaks but the mask crept up my face anyway.

Anyone else ever have this problem before? What did you do to get it to stop?
RedBarron

Post Reply Post Reply
You can try either a chin strap or a soft cervical collar to prevent your jaw from dropping open.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
That won’t work. The whole purpose of wearing a FFM is so I don’t have to deal with those anymore.

It isn’t leaking so I achieved the purpose of getting away from chin straps and nasal pillows. It’s just odd that the Simplus mask didn’t crawl up into my mouth but this one does. As long as it isn’t leaking and keeping me awake all night it isn’t a huge problem. I just thought maybe someone else had run across this before and had discovered some trick or adjustment to prevent it.
RedBarron

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2018, 05:24 PM)Barron1961 Wrote: That won’t work. The whole purpose of wearing a FFM is so I don’t have to deal with those anymore.

It isn’t leaking so I achieved the purpose of getting away from chin straps and nasal pillows. It’s just odd that the Simplus mask didn’t crawl up into my mouth but this one does. As long as it isn’t leaking and keeping me awake all night it isn’t a huge problem. I just thought maybe someone else had run across this before and had discovered some trick or adjustment to prevent it.

They have run across this and the trick was to use a soft cervical collar or chin strap. You asked I answered. Don't shoot the messenger.   Big Grin
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,776 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 100 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 527 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 326 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,229 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,611 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.