Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal Pillows vs. Full Face Mask
Question 
Nasal Pillows vs. Full Face Mask
Dont-know I posted this question in the Facebook CPAP group I am in and got mixed results so I thought I would ask it here on Apnea Board.
I have only and always used nasal pillows with my CPAP since I started using one on August 10, 2012. I started with the ResMed Swift FX and medium then large nasal pillows. I had tons of mask leaks with it and was happy when my doctor changed me to the new ResMed AirFit P10. I had far fewer mask leaks. The problem with it is that the Large pillows are about the same size as the medium pillows for the Swift FX. No matter how I adjust the headgear it still pulls the pillows into my nose irritating it and causing more mask leaks because the pillows cannot inflate properly. Once I pull the pillows out of my nose the leak stops until the mask gets pulled inside my nose again. This goes on all night long and interrupts my sleeping.

Since I am a mouth breather and chin straps are only mildly effective I thought about changing to a full face mask. This would stop the mask from being pulled inside my nose and irritating it, and would possibly work better for me than a chin strap and nasal mask. My question then is this. Who here has used both nasal pillows and full face mask? Which do you prefer and what do you like most and least about each one?

Thanks in advance for all the help that you kind folks can give me!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal Pillows vs. Full Face Mask
I use both regularly. Both a Resmed P10 and a F&P Brevida for nasal pillows and a F&P Simplus for the FFM. I get bored with one and switch to the other. Both styles provide low AHI's and leaks. I like the fact that I don't have to wear a chinstrap with FFM. I like the lightweight of the nasal pillows. It basically boils down to what floats my boat when I go to sleep.

Sorry that I couldn't give anymore information to help you qualify your decision.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are probably a lot of us that have to try multiple FFM to find the mask that is reasonable to use, rarely are they perfect all the time.  I've had issues with the bridge of my nose, skin irritation from different material, leaks, you name it. 

I roll to my side and occasionally will hit the side of the mask and hear it leak, I don't wake up enough to keep from falling back asleep, but enough to know something happened.  Oh, and I use a 'CPAP' pillow that has the sides cut out like a half moon.

Finding the perfect mask seems like an endless journey, get good shoes as you begin the adventure.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the P10 Airfit than the F20 Airfit, than one of the other several masks laying around from time to time. Hmm maybe it's time for the Simplus again.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use a full face mask only when my nasal congestion is so bad that I can't use pillows. It would great for me if I slept on my back, but I sleep on my side and it leaks. 3 different full face masks - they all leak. I'm hoping when I get my new mattress in the next couple of months that I can go back to sleeping on my back. I've hated my current mattress for a long time.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the F20 airfit FFM. I love the P10 nasal pillows but I am unable to control the air leaks. The F20 is the mask I use. With the pillows I tape as added assurance against air leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a third option you haven't mentioned, and that is a Nasal Mask (not nasal pillows, but covers the entire nose). I found this worked best for me. I hated the full face mask, and the nasal pillows were making my nostrils look really flared. No mask will ever be truly comfortable, but this style seemed better than most, and the Resmed one, quieter.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2018, 06:22 PM)illawarrior Wrote: There is a third option you haven't mentioned, and that is a Nasal Mask (not nasal pillows, but covers the entire nose). I found this worked best for me. I hated the full face mask, and the nasal pillows were making my nostrils look really flared. No mask will ever be truly comfortable, but this style seemed better than most, and the Resmed one, quieter.

Not really considering a nasal mask because I am a mouth breather and it would require me to continue using a chin strap which is really hit or miss as to whether they would fit or not. I never know what I am going to get because I never get the same chin strap twice in a row. Also they wear out quickly but Medicare will only pay for one every six months.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2018, 07:06 PM)Barron1961 Wrote: illawarriorThere is a third option you haven't mentioned, and that is a Nasal Mask (not nasal pillows, but covers the entire nose). I found this worked best for me. I hated the full face mask, and the nasal pillows were making my nostrils look really flared. No mask will ever be truly comfortable, but this style seemed better than most, and the Resmed one, quieter.

Not really considering a nasal mask because I am a mouth breather and it would require me to continue using a chin strap which is really hit or miss as to whether they would fit or not. I never know what I am going to get because I never get the same chin strap twice in a row. Also they wear out quickly but Medicare will only pay for one every six months.

Have you tried mouth taping?  I know it's a controversial topic but it works for me.  I couldn't get decent sleep with either a chin strap or a cervical collar.  I only use a one strip -- it's about 1 inch wide and 1.5 inches long, and place it in the middle of my mouth.  I get the kind made for sensitive skin.  It keeps my mouth closed but there is enough room to slip in a skinny straw on the side of my mouth during the night if I feel a drink of water.  Hopefully after another year or so my mind will adjust to getting into the habit of sleeping with my mouth closed without using tape, but in the meantime it's not a big deal to keep using it.  In any case, good luck with your treatment and hang in there!
Post Reply Post Reply
I lip leak and go between the Nuance mask and the Simplus. I tried all sorts of tricks to try and stop the leaking but it just didn't work for me. The FFM worked for me. I switched back to the pillows after a surgery since it was easier to put on/off. The lip leaking had ceased at that point. It is back and I'm considering trying the F10.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,752 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 97 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 511 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 314 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,221 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,580 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.