Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal Pillows vs Nasal Masks, which worked best for you?
RE: Nasal Pillows vs Nasal Masks, which worked best for you?
Mouth breathing usually leaves a very dry mouth, and you know air has been passing from your mouth by the dryness. There is a characteristic wave pattern on Oscar graphs where an inspiration wave (sometimes smaller than normal) is present, but expiration is nearly absent, or just a quick spike into expiration with what appears to be zero-flow until inspiration. Nearly always this is mouth breathing or leak.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m using dreamwear nasal pillow now and has been using dreamwear nasal mask for a month before.

I had below problems with nasal mask:
1. Sweaty skin below nose and in result acne
2. Sometimes I was waking up becouse it was difficult to breathe

Nasal pillow mask doesn’t have those problems.
Also it delivers more air to the nose so in case you have nasal congestion it will be easy to get rid of it. My nose is clear after let’s say 30min of using mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night I had nasal congestion issues. I have nasal congestion off and on, on rare occasions. I don't know what causes it. When I do get congestion, I notice that when I'm laying down, nasal congestion develops, and when I get upright, it dissipates. I think the humidifier helps with this so now it's rare when it occurs, but I wish I can figure out the root of the problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you used Flonase spray? Or some other nasal spray?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have any digestive issues (especially if they occur when you have nasal congestion) then I would try some food elimination diets for the common allergens (dairy, gluten, soy, nuts etc). My main source of congestion was dairy.

I was just thinking about it and I should try a nasal mask again. I haven't used one since I figured out the congestion/dairy and maybe I can use them now, before I couldn't control mouth leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's likely food related.  Perhaps spice or too much food at night.  I do eat 3 hrs prior to bed.

My therapy has significantly improved my sleep quality from changing my mask type to nasal. 

Now, I get tired naturally at the right bed time and easily fall asleep and I get back to sleep easier after woken up and actually want more sleep in the morning now!  I only wake up 1 time in the night now, which is an improvement.  My AHI is consistently at .7 or lower, so my therapy feels like it's at the right point.

So, I recommend exploring masks.  I don't even wear a collar anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are curious this study has some info and pictures as to why FFM aren't as effective (especially in certain people).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4301251/
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi yall,

I recently got my P10 mask, and I like it.  I can now sleep on the side without leakage.  However, I'm getting a lot of centrals and don't know why.  I was expecting similar AHI as N20, nasal mask, but AHI was fairly high with the pillow.  

I like that I can just set it to minimum pressure of 7 without having issues of abrupt pressure that prevents me from falling asleep. This happens with the full-face mask and I hate it. I have to set it to lower pressure or auto-ramp to prevent it.

The reason why I had to move on from N20 nasal mask was because the bottom cushion would block air-flow, and I had wakon up with some pain in my chest likely due to lack of air, and I had difficulty to breathing with it.  Funny thing is, my AHI was still fairly low, and this told me that AHI isn't accurately detected by the machine with this mask.  

I feel like I slept much better with the pillows despite my AHI being much greater.  My AHI with the pillow is attached.  Perhaps I will have to get on the collar again (I was hoping not, for the N20 mask I didn't need it).  Let me know if you any comments about my OSCAR data.  Thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I've had two nights with the n30 headgear on the p10 pillows and I much prefer the new headgear. I found Leukoplast cover roll stretch tape on amazon and it's great. I have a goatee so that complicates things.; this stretch tape is a perfect width (wide) so I don't have to shape it; and it doesn't loosen at night. It really adheres so there's a tiny ouch in the am when it comes off. If I need water I just take it half off and it reapplies fine.

So three nights back with my p10 and this tape and I'm sleeping really great. It's still early but I hope this keeps up. Best sleep in quite a while. Yahoo! I still get some leaks but my ahi is very low. Leaks are below 10. I get leaks with all my masks it seems.

I got the F abnd P Vitera but haven't been able to make it work in terms of leaks. Only used it for two nights however. I got it to address leaks. It'[s now waiting in the wings for if (when) the P10 stumbles.
Post Reply Post Reply
The P10 got updated with adjustable headstrap.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Skin Irritation from Masks Granny7 19 2,713 04-13-2024, 04:38 AM
Last Post: Little Olive
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 978 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,067 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale
  Pressure vs. Airflow Burst for Nasal Opening GoodSleepHunting 0 102 04-04-2024, 02:34 PM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 5 509 04-03-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: hejohoo
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 159 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,225 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.