Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal bridge infection - sleep iq gel nasal mask
Nasal bridge infection - sleep iq gel nasal mask
after my first night my nasal bridge became red and very sore. I loosen the straps (I had then way too tight) after I read that masks can cause irritation if they are too tight. That same day when I went to clean my face, I looked more closely at my nose and saw what appeared to be white heads at each pore. I did squeeze and clean then (yes, i know I shouldn't do that) and ended up swabbing with alcohol and covered with a bandaid. Today it's mostly cleared up. I did not have any other skin issues where the mask touched my face (just on my nasal bridge). Tonight I plan on covering with MEFIX white cloth surgical tape (I've treated with neosporin and salicylic acid 10%).

Anyhow, should I be concerned about the mask or do you think it's a reaction to high pressure on the nasal bridge with the new mask material on the skin?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal bridge infection - sleep iq gel nasal mask
(12-22-2012, 09:33 PM)whodi Wrote: Anyhow, should I be concerned about the mask or do you think it's a reaction to high pressure on the nasal bridge with the new mask material on the skin?

Unless you have a sensitivity to silicone, I vote too much mask pressure.

This is really common to want to tighten it too much, if the mask and your nose area are perfectly clean you'll find it doesn't take that much pressure to get a good seal.

Everyone has to gage just how much strap pressure they need to make a good seal and to accommodate their sleeping position so it doesn't get moved out of place.

Ren
Post Reply Post Reply
i would try different mask
resmed gecko nasal pads can helps with skin irritation on the bridge of the nose
Post Reply Post Reply
If it were a silicone reaction, you'd have it in other places. Our noses are quite oily so it is possible the heat of the mask just brought those to the surface faster. Before you go to bed, wash your face well (with a soap you've used on your face before) and dry it completely. Wash again first thing in the morning. I'm not sure if a lotion would help or hinder.

The mask is the most important part of this game. And the most difficult.

After the holidays, or if your supplier is open Monday, ask to try another mask. Most suppliers (DMEs) have a mask trial period where you can try a mask for a certain length of time (anywhere from a week to a month) and then trade it in for another. Try one that has a different way of sitting on your face. Ask to be shown how to use it, too.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for the replies and I'll call the DME and see what they say. I've seen there are hybrid masks that don't touch the nasal bridge, but I'll keep an eye on the affected area.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have the fitting guide?

You might need to adjust the mask shell to lessen the pressure on the bridge.

Here's the fitting guide: http://www.sleepnetmasks.com/downloads/p..._final.pdf

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I readjusted it last night (took a lot of pressure off) and did not have an issue with leaks. I guess I overcompensated the first night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-22-2012, 09:33 PM)whodi Wrote: after my first night my nasal bridge became red and very sore.

Hi whodi, welcome to the forum!

Be sure to always wash the mask itself (especially the surface of the cushion which touches the face) very well with plenty of soap and warm water before first use (as well as daily).

Whenever I forget to do this (after all, it is brand new and clean, right?) I get a reaction on my nose or wherever the mask presses most strongly.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah - I didn't wash it the first time (which i should have) and that could be the issue. I've washed it each day since.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi whodi,
There are moisturizing creams on the market just for CPAP users, I have purchased it from Supplier #1 on the supplier list here on the board. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it came in such a small amount, ( a 1-oz tube, I think.) But I guess if you use it sparingly, it would last you quite a while.
They say you shouldn't use creams with patrolium in them as it breaks down the mask. I don't know if that is a big problem but I didn't want to risk that when I had difficulty with dry skin and such, so I try to buy moisturizing creams with no patrolium in them just to be sure.
Hope this helps.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,757 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  nasal congestion relief sleepingbetterinFl 2 156 03-23-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 145 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.