Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal cushion leaks so need new ideas
Nasal cushion leaks so need new ideas
I currently use the Respironics True Blue nasal cushion but my husband says it often leaks and the air noise wakes him up. I am a side sleeper and I think I sometimes turn in my sleep. I feel that I have it adjusted properly and there are no leaks when I fall asleep.

I'm considering switching to a different nasal cushion or possibly a full face mask and I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this. Do full fact masks leak as much as the nasal cushions? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal cushion leaks so need new ideas
I tried for a few years with the FFM and had nothing but problems. Eventually, I had a good sleep lab manager that brought a lot of masks for me to try and I chose the wisp nasal mask for an upcoming sleep study. The manager let me take that mask home as well as a high quality chin strap because I thought I was a mouth breather b/c that is what I WAS told and why they stuck me in a FFM that always gave me problems.

After a month or two, I no longer needed the chin strap as my mouth remained closed during sleep and I am still using the wisp a little over a year later. I really like the wisp. I wonder if when I am not feeling well (like right now) that a FFM might be better but I had so much trouble with them and yes, for me, they leaked way too much. I also would like to try the pillows but just haven't done it because I am fighting the crud right now.

Some people like the FFM and a lot don't like them at all. YMMV.

If you are used to the cushions, maybe try a different cushion or if you are a brave soul, try pillows. If it were me, and this is just my opinion, I would not consider the FFM except as a last resort. I think the DME's stock FFM and push them on patients to keep their inventory down. Problem is, not one size fits all and some cannot tolerate FFM just like some cannot tolerate cushions or pillows. It is so individual.
Post Reply Post Reply
Two days ago I switched to a Resmed AirFit P10. It is absolutely silent and does not blow air on my wife. I can actually lay on my side with my hand near my face and not feel or hear the exhaust flow. Very light and comfortable, it is the best nasal pillows mask on the market today IMO.

Previous masks were Swift Mirage II and Resmed Swift FX. Both blew a stream of air that I could hear and feel. Good luck with your replacement.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Masks are the area that can make xPAP tolerable or intolerable.
And we are all different. Probably should have a no mask discussion rule here as it's like talking religion.

What I mean to say is: everyone has their favorite that they likely found by either accident or trial and error.
So, you'll get a lot of opinions -- like the P10 fans who are fanatics. [Image: boxing_smiley.gif]

Remember, all masks have intentional vent holes that may disturb your bunk partner.

I found the full face mask best; but, then I have an odd face. [Image: 1eye.gif]
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi grannyc,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
The mask is the hardest part of this therapy and you may have to try several 'till you find the right one that works for you.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and good luck finding a mask.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The best nasal mask ive tried by far is the Eson by F&P. Silent, no leaks, seals even over a mustache with a very loose fit, totally comfortable.

Might be just the ticket for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree...the Eson mask is fantastic! Very comfortable and perfect if you are
a side sleeper.
IngeborgSleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
So do you know if you are having mask leaks or mouth leaks with the nasal mask? Each type of leak would require a different suggestion, so I would ask your partner if he notices he leak from the mask or mouth. For mask leaks, when did you last change your cushion? Also, I've used the wisp and eson and liked them both, but as always YMMV. For mouth leaks a chinstrap may be the answer for you, but still YMMV. Best of luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
If your pillows leak, you may want to try a larger size, to give more support when you move around. I had to go to the large on my P10 due to sleep positions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Greetings,

"says it often leaks and the air noise wakes him up."

I am wondering about the word "leaks". If you mean the intentional air flow/venting from the mask there is nothing that can be safely done to a full face mask/nasal pillow/nose mask that will cut down on the venting. There are some masks that have a better intentional air flow/venting system so the venting flow is more diffused. Folks on this board can help you that.

If the "leak" indicates it is leaking from around the True Blue nose/nasal mask there are some things that can help improve the situation.
  • Be sure and wash the mask Each Day
  • Be sure and wash your face before going to bed
  • Adjust the mask fit while laying down (the face muscles move a bit from the standing position to the laying down position and will affect the fit of the mask)
  • Use a piece of fabric (a clean tee shirt fabric works fine) cut to the shape of the mask - these can be bought but are pretty expensive considering what they are, a piece of fabric

Hope this helps.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 139 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 160 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 321 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 171 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 108 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.