Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal irritation
Nasal irritation
So, I use nasal pillows and have developed constant, low grade irritation on the skin around my nose. It doesn't bother me but the skin around my nares is rather red and flaky and it stings when I get saline spray on it.

I already use lanolin during the night. I know what we can use with the silicone pillows is limited, anything else I can try? Or maybe lanolin at night and something heavier duty during the day?

I'm also going to try going down a pillow size and see if that doesn't help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal irritation
You could try using an alternate mask of a different style until the skin on your nose has a chance to heal. I ran into trouble with irritation from my Activa nasal mask a few weeks ago when I caught the flu and I had to spend a lot of time in bed. I switched to the Optilife pillows mask for a few nights. The Optilife is less than ideal for me, but it has entirely different points of contact on your face, so I was glad to have it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using vasoline, light coating on my nostril skin, seems to be working just fine.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the same problem the first night I used the nasal pillows so I used another mask for a week or so, went back to the nasal pillows and it hasn't been a problem. I don't know for sure but I think vaseline will break down the material that the pillows are made from.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hadn't heard vasoline was an issue with nasal pillows, but I will keep an eye on my mask. Honestly though I use the most minuscule amount. It doesn't take much to make your nose feel better when it gets a bit rough just a very thin light rub on and then into the skin. Thanks for that information though.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Vasoline is petroleum based product, wear out silicone cushions and not recommended for your nose. lanolin products are safer

Edit: From Mayo Clinic - http://www.mayoclinic.org/petroleum-jell...Q-20057784
Petroleum jelly is generally safe to use. Rarely, however, inhaling fat-based substances (lipoids) — such as petroleum jelly or mineral oil — for prolonged periods can cause lung problems
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2014, 02:41 PM)big_dave Wrote: You could try using an alternate mask of a different style until the skin on your nose has a chance to heal. I ran into trouble with irritation from my Activa nasal mask a few weeks ago when I caught the flu and I had to spend a lot of time in bed. I switched to the Optilife pillows mask for a few nights. The Optilife is less than ideal for me, but it has entirely different points of contact on your face, so I was glad to have it.

That's definitely a good idea. I wish I had a nasal style mask lying around I could use. I have a full face mask but I don't like it because it farts air everywhere.
Post Reply Post Reply
This was suggested to me by a forum member, and I used it while still using the nasal pillows, and while gross feeling wearing it at the same time as the nasal pillows, put it on heavy - I went from bloody/scabby, to totally healed

Got it on Amazon: "Lansinoh HPA Laolin Lanolina HPA" - I know you said you already tried 'Lanolin', but perhaps there is something different about this? It won't hurt masks at all, and feels like Vaseline as you put it on. I use a Q-tip and coat all around both the inside and outside of each nare, and it took less than a week to go from bleeding to healed.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, that's the stuff I'm using. I usually just use my finger (gross I know) and push it around. I'll try a more thorough coating tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was in the 'ya sure, whatever I have will work', camp for the longest time. But it got so painful, and a few on this forum was talking about how this stuff really works - so I bought a tube, and faithfully used it morning and night, and it took like 4-5 days - bingo bango, poof~! All better~~
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 865 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 464 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg
  Nose/Nosering Irritation Braven05 8 625 12-18-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  My suggestion for help with nasal pillow irritation rebean 3 664 12-06-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Nose irritation with nasal pillows (p10) Jobaaayyy 10 987 10-24-2023, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Jobaaayyy
  Using Nasal Strips along with Nasal mask or pillows Bostonsnow 6 1,158 07-18-2023, 07:09 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.