Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal irritation
RE: Nasal irritation
(02-16-2014, 02:10 AM)eviltim Wrote: Yep, that's the stuff I'm using. I usually just use my finger (gross I know) and push it around. I'll try a more thorough coating tonight.

Hey! Fingers are good for many things, and they're washable too~

I was using a Q-tip as I was trying to do a complete cover-up inside both nares, plus I have fat fingers!
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to have to try some of this stuff too. I was unaware vasoline was ever an issue, and though I don't use it inside my nose, just on the outside this other stuff may be better. I'll have to pick some up, thanks for the info.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
In addition to lanolin, there is a product called Aryl nasal gel, and Supplier #1 sells a salve for this same purpose. I have tried them all with success.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2014, 01:27 PM)eviltim Wrote: So, I use nasal pillows and have developed constant, low grade irritation on the skin around my nose. It doesn't bother me but the skin around my nares is rather red and flaky and it stings when I get saline spray on it.

I already use lanolin during the night. I know what we can use with the silicone pillows is limited, anything else I can try? Or maybe lanolin at night and something heavier duty during the day?

I'm also going to try going down a pillow size and see if that doesn't help.

My resmed 9s autoset come with the pillow nasal mask, I used it one night. I had more leakage and less rest. I guess I just can't stand anything stuck in my nose. I love the gel nasal mask. I mean I really look forward to putting my mask on. I did order a CPAP pillow that is contoured to allow for the mask. Hopefully this will help take pressure off my nose when I sleep on my sides. I'll post my review after I get it and try it out.

Good luckSleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
You might want to check and see if you can get new pillows.

I developed this problem late last week as well. Felt like a paper cut and very sore and red on the edge of my left nasal. It puzzled me as I have been using pillows since November and thought surely this would have become a problem before now if it was going to be a problem at all. I also felt as if it was a struggle in recent weeks to get the pillows situated comfortably and had to work harder at getting a good seal. I would have to fuss with them a lot and my AHI began creeping up. The morning my nose began to get sore I had 5.2 AHI. That isn't awful but should be under 5. Previous nights were approaching 5. In recent weeks I had begun to feel very tired again and much the same as what has been described by some that have mentioned not using CPAP for a night and how bad they felt. Was not sure what was going on and thought I may be getting sick.

I began researching this past Friday what would work best to heal my nose. I read of Lasinoh HPA Lanolin that nursing mothers use. It is considered to be very safe for mothers and babies. I got mine in the local super market in the baby supplies aisle. I have to say the healing results were amazing. I got some after work and put on my nose when I got home. By the time I went to bed, my nose was feeling much better. A couple days using it and it is healed. The other thing I discovered while reading is that pillows need to be changed. I had been using the same pillows since I began CPAP in November. My DME had told me to change my mask every 6 months. I did feel like my pillows were no longer fitting as well and working well but thought I was stuck with them for 6 months before I could change them out with a new mask. I read others commenting their insurance covered changing pillows every month and their complete mask changed every 6 months. When I was told to replace my mask every 6 months I thought that included pillows as they came in the package with my mask. I didn't know you could get cushion refills in between. Others also remarked the pillows wear out and dry out and that can be an irritant and cause chapping.

I inquired with my DME on Friday how often I can replace my pillows and was told I could get 2 new pillows every month. I picked up new ones on Saturday and what a difference it made. I could feel immediately how much better they fit and I didn't struggle getting them to feel right and get a good seal. My AHI went went back down as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with ImaSurvivor. Even if my nasal cushion feels fine I still change them 2 times per month. It is pretty inexpensive and I just do it like I change my filters 2 times per month. I feel better with new cushions and filters because these machines (VPAP for me) are not cheap and I can't buy one out of pocket. As it stands, I am paying over $400 out of pocket for my current machine if I stay on this kind of machine.

EDIT: 2 times per month I also wash my head gear and chin strap. These I do for my comfort.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I'm afraid the smaller size didn't work as it hurt before I went to bed. I guess I'm definitely a medium, or at least that's as close as I can get to my goofy deviated nose. I've been liberally applying the lanolin and using vaseline during the day. The stinging is gone but it's still visibly flaky. Hmmmmmmm.
Post Reply Post Reply
Da Da Dum

/em mutters to himself...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Funny thing is the pillow on the Airfit P10 ALL will work for me but none of them is QUITE perfect. Medium is probably best if I must pick.

Small probably irritates my nose the MOST (probably fits deeper or moves around) but doesn't dislodge.

Large works great unless it comes out and then the air needs to be stopped to set it perfectly again.

Truth is that I could live with any of the 3 but the are all just a hair's breadth from perfect.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 865 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 464 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg
  Nose/Nosering Irritation Braven05 8 625 12-18-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  My suggestion for help with nasal pillow irritation rebean 3 664 12-06-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Nose irritation with nasal pillows (p10) Jobaaayyy 10 987 10-24-2023, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Jobaaayyy
  Using Nasal Strips along with Nasal mask or pillows Bostonsnow 6 1,157 07-18-2023, 07:09 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.