Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal mask - air popping out of mouth rythmically
Nasal mask - air popping out of mouth rythmically
Sorry for the awkward subject line not sure how else to describe what is happening - been using nasal masks for almost 2 years and lately I catch myself having a mouth gasp (as in a small amount of air popping out of it for 1 second) on a regular cycle, hard to tell when one is half asleep but maybe once per minute?

Doesn't happen every night and when it happens its not for the night, but lets say 4x a week and lasts 1+ hours.

Annoying to my wife, dries the mouth, really awkward.  Mainly if I am on my back.

My pressures are pretty low and AHI with treatment is usually below 2.  Nothing seems different there.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal mask - air popping out of mouth rythmically
Try a ful face mask and it might help. It helped me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have odd things like this happen if I am on my back too.  "easy" solution - don't sleep on your back.  The cause, I think, is that your tongue slips back and looses the seal with the roof of your mouth allowing the pressure into your mouth.  This pops out your lips, alerts your brain, and it pulls your tongue forward.  Repeat and repeat.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2017, 11:12 PM)chill Wrote: I have odd things like this happen if I am on my back too.  "easy" solution - don't sleep on your back.  The cause, I think, is that your tongue slips back and looses the seal with the roof of your mouth allowing the pressure into your mouth.  This pops out your lips, alerts your brain, and it pulls your tongue forward.  Repeat and repeat.

That makes sense, thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your tongue or soft palate is going back and causing an obstruction, causing an mouth exhale. I would think you need more minimum pressure. If you are just mouth breathing, that's another issue.
either way your ahi is under 2, so it would only be if you think it is arousing you from sleep. That you need to do anything.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
This is helpful - my gut reaction before posting this thread would have been to reduce pressure thinking that it was so high it needed to skip through my mouth as an overflow valve.

So I will try increasing pressure, makes more sense now - THANKS folks!
Post Reply Post Reply
I too use a pillows mask and have the occasional mouth leak. There are several methods to rectify, chin straps, foam neck braces, tape, etc. I find that the tongue suck method helps me, you simply put your tongue behind your front teeth and on the roof of your mouth and suck to create negative pressure. If you practice enough you can train your mouth to stay closed. Takes awhile, but worth the practice. I could not deal with a ffm.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 38 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 383 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 318 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 235 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 100 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 326 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.