Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal mask question
Nasal mask question
I got my APAP today and the nasal mask. It's an IQ Blue nasal mask from Sleepnet. When I wear it, the bottom side is very close to my nostrils and after about 10 minutes, it feels as if I'm not getting enough air in. Not sure if anything can be done about that (i.e. increasing the space between the bottom part of the mask and your nostrils). The mask seems to slip to that position. ETA: so I notice the company is blocked out with a *. I'm not sure why. Other companies get mentioned. Happy to follow the rules, but let me know if I should watch it if I need to make a distinction between suppliers.

Just starting out, so I'm willing to give this mask a go. I got leakage under control (as far as I can tell, numbers will confirm later I hope) and tested it out by using a pillow. So far so good.

Before APAP: [Image: DARTH-VADER_zpsa57946df.png]

After APAP: See avatar: R2D2 for the win!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle"
--Ian Maclaren

I don't snore! I just make creepy noises so the aliens know I'm not someone to be messed with.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal mask question
(05-26-2014, 12:57 PM)Visitor Wrote: I got my APAP today and the nasal mask. It's an IQ Blue nasal mask from *.
I have not used this mask, just bumping to the top, in case someone can helps

As for *, no problem naming the manufacturer or the supplier leaving out the dot com

For example, I got my mask from Supplier #10 (see supplier List)
Suppliers List http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Post Reply Post Reply
Visitor, you are starting out great.

It's a shame that you must deal with that nasal mask slippage and the problem sounds perfectly understandable.

Likely you have realized this is either a fault of the mask in general, an issue with the shape of your face, or HOPEFULLY something that can be corrected with differentially tightening the head gear.

The latter will almost certainly be a very careful balancing act between leaks and positioning the mask to allow your to breath freely through your nose.

It's amazing how even a seemingly trivial restriction will change how we breath through our nose.

If you can use the nasal mask at all, you will likely enjoy a nasal pillow mask FAR MORE.

Nothing in your eye-line, must easier to control leaks, headgear can be much looser (even minimal), you can scratch your (upper) nose without moving it, lighter, not constricting, simpler and easier to maintain.

Does you DME give you a "30 day return" or anything?

As you know, I highly recommend the Airfit P10 -- vendor #1 formerly had a "free return insurance" and "free shipping" on that $100 mask if you need to buy it on your own.

Best would be to get your insurance company to pay for it.

My suspicion is that you are not in the US, but it is common here to get your insurance company to allow you to change DME suppliers (within their 'network' ) as needed.

I can't buy from Vendor #1 (they don't do direct insurance) with full insurance coverage, but I can buy from Edgepark via mail order instead of my local supplier and my insurance company will still cover it fully.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2014, 05:20 PM)herbm Wrote: As you know, I highly recommend the Airfit P10 --

Gosh, Herb, no one would have ever guessed that! Dielaughing Dielaughing Dielaughing

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Herb, I'm ordering the P10. Indeed, I'm not in the US. I worked with the mask to balance leakage and comfort and found a medium, but my suspicion is that the bridge of my nose may suffer as time goes by. Hopefully I can keep using this mask until I get the P10. No luck with a refund for this mask. It is not covered by insurance (only the actual machine). First night of using the APAP and the electricity cut out two hours after I fell asleep. I put it back on and slept until six. No numbers to report as I can't access these yet on the Breas. But we'll get there eventually. Feeling pretty good this morning. A lot better than before. So, looking forward to see how I am in a month's time.

--Ian Maclaren

I don't snore! I just make creepy noises so the aliens know I'm not someone to be messed with.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2014, 03:39 AM)Visitor Wrote: ........but my suspicion is that the bridge of my nose may suffer as time goes by.

Stop by your local druggist and pick up something called HPA Lanolin. I don't know if that's what it is in Ireland or not, but it's sold in the baby department for nursing mothers. Don't use it as directed however. Instead, just put a thin coating of it on your nostrils when you go to bed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2014, 11:14 AM)retired_guy Wrote: Stop by your local druggist and pick up something called HPA Lanolin.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

--Ian Maclaren

Post Reply Post Reply
And it is true that the bridge of the nose breaks down for many people as you describe.

The lanolin should help if you get to it before it becomes a true sore.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I got it. Should keep me going until I get the P10.

--Ian Maclaren

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,223 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 142 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 338 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 482 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.