Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Unsure
Humidifier: Resmed H51
CPAP Pressure: 7 and 14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

Nasal mask size problems
I'm beginning to feel like something is wrong with me..not the masks. I have three sizes if the wisp nasal masks and all three give me leak problems. Obviously, Large is too big, Small kills my nose and is too, too small. medium is closest but just a bit too big for a good seal. I can tighten up all the straps till my head throbs and all points down from that and the second I turn my head I feel the air leak around the side of my nose. I have a very ordinary nose, female, 5'3". Do you think the P10, or other recommended, sizes run a little differently? I don't have access to pop in to a supplier and try on masks. I like the idea of using pillows even over nasal masks but I must move around a lot during sleep and I dislodge those as well. Thanks for any recommendations.

Barbara
Ajijic, Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico
03-30-2015 04:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
worn_out_in_lebanon Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed A10 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F20 (newest Resmed ffm)
Humidifier: Included, ClimateLine tubing
CPAP Pressure: 13-15, EPR:0

Other Comments: I.T. Project Manager. Started CPAP therapy March 16, 2015. Untreated AHI 39.

Sex: Male

RE: Nasal mask size problems
The P10 I got came with 3 sizes of pillows which made it easy to experiment. It stays mostly in place too.
03-30-2015 04:31 PM
truetopath Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: PR system one 560p auto with a flex
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resumed F10
Humidifier: PR system one
CPAP Pressure: 11

Other Comments:

I used to use the wisp and switched to the p10. I found with the wisp, you couldn't overtighten it or the leaks would get way worse. Also, I had to learn that it sits lower on the nose than most nasal masks. Once I figured these things out it worked like a dream. Best of luck on your cpap journey!
03-30-2015 04:54 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Hilobarbie Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: S9 Autoset

Other Comments:

(03-30-2015 04:54 PM)truetopath Wrote:  I used to use the wisp and switched to the p10. I found with the wisp, you couldn't overtighten it or the leaks would get way worse. Also, I had to learn that it sits lower on the nose than most nasal masks. Once I figured these things out it worked like a dream. Best of luck on your cpap journey!

Thanks. I must have read your comment about positioning of the mask, because I remembered to make certain it wasn't to high.
(03-30-2015 04:31 PM)worn_out_in_lebanon Wrote:  The P10 I got came with 3 sizes of pillows which made it easy to experiment. It stays mostly in place too.

Thanks. The P10 sure has received some pisitive posts on this board.

Barbara
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2015 10:12 PM by Hilobarbie.)
03-30-2015 10:11 PM
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

I think the P10 must be the most popular mask. I had an FX for her first, and switched to the P10 because the FX vented forcefully and i found it very bothersome. the P10 vents so peacefully. It's pillows are a little smaller than the FX were. With the FX I used the extra small and it fit perfectly. With the P10 I am between the extrasmall and small. the nares are a little close together on the extrasmall, but the smalls fit all ouside and cant go in. I end up switching between them and they both work well enough. I move around a lot, and i do dislodge it some, but overall it is really comfortable and i wake wondering if it is even on. It is very light and doesnt feel like it will stay, but actually it mostly does. I put the bottom strap under my hair and the top strap holds back my "bangs" and it is nice having my hair out of my face too.

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
03-30-2015 10:35 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Dafod Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset or PR1 560
Mask Make & Model: Resmed P10, Amara View
Humidifier: Yes
CPAP Pressure: 8-15
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

I also couldn't get the Wisp to work for me (although I might tackle it again). The med/small seemed to squish the sides of my nose so I couldn't get enough air. The large also seemed to move around and when I had the top a bit looser and the bottom tighter and lower I still found the mask bruised the bridge of my nose. So whilst I think the mask works fantastically (given other accounts) for some people it doesn't for some. I now use the P10 and its the best so far. I also use the N10 in a pinch as its pretty forgiving but its too noisey with air seemingly venting everywhere for long term use (in my opinion). Good luck with find the mask that works for you.
03-31-2015 04:45 AM
AirSign Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense A10 for her
Mask Make & Model: Nuance / Airfit P10
Humidifier: Airsense A10
CPAP Pressure: 9-16, average under 14

Other Comments: Seasons here: Wintah, Mud, Road Repair, Wintah

I have a somewhat small face, and high cheekbones.
For many years I used the Swift FX for her, even though at times it made my nostrils hurt. Since then I've used both the Wisp and the P10. My hopes for the Wisp were that it would not cross my cheekbones so near to the outer corners of my eyes. Both the other ones do.
The Wisp needed to have cushioning straps, and even though that makes it softer, it's still too large for my head dimensions at points where it's not adjustable without a sewing machine. It's way too much "stuff" on my face and head since I also need a chinstrap. Tried tape which irritated the .... out of my skin and I've had to apply bicarb for the stinging.
The P10 is what I'm using now, most often. It's lighter and easier on the cheekbones than the Swift. The Wisp leaks too much even with the S/M size, and I will give the Petite size a try before I give up on it totally.
The P10 is OK, but I find that the hose, which is fixed in place and doesn't swivel, is annoying. I suspect my ideal mask would be the P10 modified with gel pillows and a swivel hose. I'll keep the Wisp in reserve if/when my nostrils become bruised again.
After 6 years of not even knowing there were options, it's better now. It will be interesting to see if a new APAP machine will make any difference. At least I'll be able to see the data.
04-02-2015 03:35 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Hilobarbie Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

(04-02-2015 03:35 PM)AirSign Wrote:  I have a somewhat small face, and high cheekbones.
For many years I used the Swift FX for her, even though at times it made my nostrils hurt. Since then I've used both the Wisp and the P10. My hopes for the Wisp were that it would not cross my cheekbones so near to the outer corners of my eyes. Both the other ones do.
The Wisp needed to have cushioning straps, and even though that makes it softer, it's still too large for my head dimensions at points where it's not adjustable without a sewing machine. It's way too much "stuff" on my face and head since I also need a chinstrap. Tried tape which irritated the .... out of my skin and I've had to apply bicarb for the stinging.
The P10 is what I'm using now, most often. It's lighter and easier on the cheekbones than the Swift. The Wisp leaks too much even with the S/M size, and I will give the Petite size a try before I give up on it totally.
The P10 is OK, but I find that the hose, which is fixed in place and doesn't swivel, is annoying. I suspect my ideal mask would be the P10 modified with gel pillows and a swivel hose. I'll keep the Wisp in reserve if/when my nostrils become bruised again.
After 6 years of not even knowing there were options, it's better now. It will be interesting to see if a new APAP machine will make any difference. At least I'll be able to see the data.
Thanks for commenting on your mask experience. I wasn't aware the hose on the P10 didn't swivel. Does anyone on the board know if the pillow can be used on a different apparatus?

Barbara
04-02-2015 05:07 PM
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

Hilobarbie,
I don't believe that the pillows can be interchanged with different masks.
OpalRose

OpalRose
04-02-2015 05:28 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Hilobarbie Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

(04-02-2015 05:28 PM)OpalRose Wrote:  Hilobarbie,
I don't believe that the pillows can be interchanged with different masks.
OpalRose

I think you are correct. I went hunting on the Internet and everyone said the hose is very flexible and light and not having a swivel had not been an issue.

Barbara
04-02-2015 06:20 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Moisture in My Wisp nasal mask Genetini 3 77 Yesterday 10:39 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  Newbie with Smart Card Reader Problems MissSnuffleupagus 3 142 12-01-2016 09:36 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Sleep Study: Nasal vs. Full Mask harmon k 2 307 11-20-2016 06:38 PM
Last Post: harmon k
  Tubing size jmayer180 7 283 11-14-2016 11:46 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Question AHI Higher AFter Switch from Nasal Pillows to Full Mask Sleepypokey 8 502 10-26-2016 03:07 PM
Last Post: Kadenz
  Occasional problems with exhale relief function SLongridge 1 262 10-24-2016 05:29 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Looking for Recommendations on Lightweight *Nasal* Mask (no pillows) Dreams of Green 16 745 10-24-2016 05:20 PM
Last Post: TheDuke