Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal mask size problems
Nasal mask size problems
I'm beginning to feel like something is wrong with me..not the masks. I have three sizes if the wisp nasal masks and all three give me leak problems. Obviously, Large is too big, Small kills my nose and is too, too small. medium is closest but just a bit too big for a good seal. I can tighten up all the straps till my head throbs and all points down from that and the second I turn my head I feel the air leak around the side of my nose. I have a very ordinary nose, female, 5'3". Do you think the P10, or other recommended, sizes run a little differently? I don't have access to pop in to a supplier and try on masks. I like the idea of using pillows even over nasal masks but I must move around a lot during sleep and I dislodge those as well. Thanks for any recommendations.
Barbara
Ajijic, Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal mask size problems
The P10 I got came with 3 sizes of pillows which made it easy to experiment. It stays mostly in place too.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to use the wisp and switched to the p10. I found with the wisp, you couldn't overtighten it or the leaks would get way worse. Also, I had to learn that it sits lower on the nose than most nasal masks. Once I figured these things out it worked like a dream. Best of luck on your cpap journey!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2015, 04:54 PM)truetopath Wrote: I used to use the wisp and switched to the p10. I found with the wisp, you couldn't overtighten it or the leaks would get way worse. Also, I had to learn that it sits lower on the nose than most nasal masks. Once I figured these things out it worked like a dream. Best of luck on your cpap journey!

Thanks. I must have read your comment about positioning of the mask, because I remembered to make certain it wasn't to high.
(03-30-2015, 04:31 PM)worn_out_in_lebanon Wrote: The P10 I got came with 3 sizes of pillows which made it easy to experiment. It stays mostly in place too.

Thanks. The P10 sure has received some pisitive posts on this board.
Barbara
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the P10 must be the most popular mask. I had an FX for her first, and switched to the P10 because the FX vented forcefully and i found it very bothersome. the P10 vents so peacefully. It's pillows are a little smaller than the FX were. With the FX I used the extra small and it fit perfectly. With the P10 I am between the extrasmall and small. the nares are a little close together on the extrasmall, but the smalls fit all ouside and cant go in. I end up switching between them and they both work well enough. I move around a lot, and i do dislodge it some, but overall it is really comfortable and i wake wondering if it is even on. It is very light and doesnt feel like it will stay, but actually it mostly does. I put the bottom strap under my hair and the top strap holds back my "bangs" and it is nice having my hair out of my face too.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
I also couldn't get the Wisp to work for me (although I might tackle it again). The med/small seemed to squish the sides of my nose so I couldn't get enough air. The large also seemed to move around and when I had the top a bit looser and the bottom tighter and lower I still found the mask bruised the bridge of my nose. So whilst I think the mask works fantastically (given other accounts) for some people it doesn't for some. I now use the P10 and its the best so far. I also use the N10 in a pinch as its pretty forgiving but its too noisey with air seemingly venting everywhere for long term use (in my opinion). Good luck with find the mask that works for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a somewhat small face, and high cheekbones.
For many years I used the Swift FX for her, even though at times it made my nostrils hurt. Since then I've used both the Wisp and the P10. My hopes for the Wisp were that it would not cross my cheekbones so near to the outer corners of my eyes. Both the other ones do.
The Wisp needed to have cushioning straps, and even though that makes it softer, it's still too large for my head dimensions at points where it's not adjustable without a sewing machine. It's way too much "stuff" on my face and head since I also need a chinstrap. Tried tape which irritated the .... out of my skin and I've had to apply bicarb for the stinging.
The P10 is what I'm using now, most often. It's lighter and easier on the cheekbones than the Swift. The Wisp leaks too much even with the S/M size, and I will give the Petite size a try before I give up on it totally.
The P10 is OK, but I find that the hose, which is fixed in place and doesn't swivel, is annoying. I suspect my ideal mask would be the P10 modified with gel pillows and a swivel hose. I'll keep the Wisp in reserve if/when my nostrils become bruised again.
After 6 years of not even knowing there were options, it's better now. It will be interesting to see if a new APAP machine will make any difference. At least I'll be able to see the data.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2015, 03:35 PM)AirSign Wrote: I have a somewhat small face, and high cheekbones.
For many years I used the Swift FX for her, even though at times it made my nostrils hurt. Since then I've used both the Wisp and the P10. My hopes for the Wisp were that it would not cross my cheekbones so near to the outer corners of my eyes. Both the other ones do.
The Wisp needed to have cushioning straps, and even though that makes it softer, it's still too large for my head dimensions at points where it's not adjustable without a sewing machine. It's way too much "stuff" on my face and head since I also need a chinstrap. Tried tape which irritated the .... out of my skin and I've had to apply bicarb for the stinging.
The P10 is what I'm using now, most often. It's lighter and easier on the cheekbones than the Swift. The Wisp leaks too much even with the S/M size, and I will give the Petite size a try before I give up on it totally.
The P10 is OK, but I find that the hose, which is fixed in place and doesn't swivel, is annoying. I suspect my ideal mask would be the P10 modified with gel pillows and a swivel hose. I'll keep the Wisp in reserve if/when my nostrils become bruised again.
After 6 years of not even knowing there were options, it's better now. It will be interesting to see if a new APAP machine will make any difference. At least I'll be able to see the data.
Thanks for commenting on your mask experience. I wasn't aware the hose on the P10 didn't swivel. Does anyone on the board know if the pillow can be used on a different apparatus?
Barbara
Post Reply Post Reply
Hilobarbie,
I don't believe that the pillows can be interchanged with different masks.
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2015, 05:28 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Hilobarbie,
I don't believe that the pillows can be interchanged with different masks.
OpalRose

I think you are correct. I went hunting on the Internet and everyone said the hose is very flexible and light and not having a swivel had not been an issue.
Barbara
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,793 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 103 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,017 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 326 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,082 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,230 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 173 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.