Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal mask styles
Nasal mask styles
I've noticed there are two types of nasal masks, one type that has just side support such as Wisp and AirFit N10, and then nasal masks that have a forehead piece that comes up and has a band that goes around the head at the forehead level such as the upcoming Pico nasal mask. What is the benefit of that forehead piece? Does it keep the mask more stable for a restless sleeper? It seems like the Swift FX Nano has the smallest head footprint of all, but I tried one on yesterday and it seems like it would leak a lot because it's all over the place with movement. Is that the tradeoff? If the forehead ones are more stable then I would rather have that. Are there any downsides to the forehead piece?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal mask styles
The only down side that I have seen to the forehead stabilizer is a fit problem based on the topology of ones nose. There are some masks with a forehead stabilizer that is adjustable or a seal for the bridge of the nose that has makes up for a lot of variation. The way I see it, those of us where the nose angles down toward the facial plane and then just before it reaches the forehead jumps up to that level, will have the most problem with non-adjustable forehead stabilizers.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2015, 12:27 PM)fractalice Wrote: I've noticed there are two types of nasal masks, one type that has just side support such as Wisp and AirFit N10, and then nasal masks that have a forehead piece that comes up and has a band that goes around the head at the forehead level such as the upcoming Pico nasal mask. What is the benefit of that forehead piece? Does it keep the mask more stable for a restless sleeper? It seems like the Swift FX Nano has the smallest head footprint of all, but I tried one on yesterday and it seems like it would leak a lot because it's all over the place with movement. Is that the tradeoff? If the forehead ones are more stable then I would rather have that. Are there any downsides to the forehead piece?
I have both N10 and the Eson (which is the same as the soon to be released Pico), I think it's just plain easier to get the cushion to float on your nose and obtain a good seal with the forehead piece, I find the Eson to be more comfortable than the N10 , Also the Eson is a quieter mask.
It is definitely more stable, I don't really see any downside to the forehead piece , maybe if you were going to watch tv or read it might be more of a disadvantage than the N10 , but for me when I mask up I plan on sleeping. Scale of 1 to 10 the Eson is a 9 and the N10 is a 7. But you could ask the same question to someone else and have a different result.
Good Hunting!
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Is it just the pillows and FFM that has the forehead stabilizer or are their nasal masks that have it too? It has been over a year since I tried a lot of masks or looked at the latest that was out. I did try a FFM with the forehead piece and I didn't like it but I can't remember why I didn't now.
Post Reply Post Reply
The downside to any forehead piece for me is that my forehead really, really, really doesn't like having anything touching it for very long. Totally an individual thing, there...
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2015, 08:01 PM)hootietoot Wrote: The downside to any forehead piece for me is that my forehead really, really, really doesn't like having anything touching it for very long. Totally an individual thing, there...

Well, I didn't like it much either, but I found that with a bit of perseverance I not only didn't mind after awhile, but I got to prefer it that way. Of course, I'm not you and I have no basis to generalize.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
The Eson never touches my forehead. I can stick my little finger between the forehead piece and my forehead. The rollfit cushion adjusts itself and needs some clearance on the forehead piece to be able to do its thing thru the night. Never leaks though.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey all, don't want to sidetrack your thread, and I could post a fresh one, but I figure you all might just have a quick answer. Why do folk choose nasal masks over nasal pillows? I figure they, like pillow wearers can sleep with their mouths shut or use chin straps. Is it because of higher pressures or, it's just what they got used to before nasal pillows came out, or cause they hate stuff touching them where nasal pillows do? etc?

Just wondering.
The Manse Hen
Post Reply Post Reply
for me I just didn't want anything inside my nose even if it was just on the outside of my nose holes but that doesn't mean that if for some reason I quit having success with my nasal mask that I am using right that I wouldn't consider trying pillows when I changed to the mask I'm using right now I was getting ready to have another sleep study and I decided to stick with something along the same lines as I have been using so it would not create any more issues during the sleep study and since I'm doing OK with the knife on my ask I'm just gonna stay there
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2015, 12:27 PM)fractalice Wrote: I've noticed there are two types of nasal masks, one type that has just side support such as Wisp and AirFit N10, and then nasal masks that have a forehead piece that comes up and has a band that goes around the head at the forehead level such as the upcoming Pico nasal mask. What is the benefit of that forehead piece? Does it keep the mask more stable for a restless sleeper? It seems like the Swift FX Nano has the smallest head footprint of all, but I tried one on yesterday and it seems like it would leak a lot because it's all over the place with movement. Is that the tradeoff? If the forehead ones are more stable then I would rather have that. Are there any downsides to the forehead piece?

Hi fractallice,
Choosing a mask is such an individual thing. What works for one person may not work for you. I've had two overnight sleep studies, and they used a nasal mask on me both times. I couldn't tolerate anything on my forehead, very sensitive area as almost any kind of pressure there could trigger a migraine. The nasal masks without forehead support just didn't fit me right, always leaking air into my eyes and pressure on upper lip.
You won't really know until you try them.
Unfortunately, most of us try several styles of masks before finding the "one".
It is one of the reasons that people give up on CPAP because they dont have the right mask.
Have you checked the threads here on CPAP mask reviews?
Have a great day!
OpalRose. :grin:
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 989 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 162 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,249 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,366 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 406 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 535 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  [Equipment] Nasal mask over full face if suspected UARS??)) Dashaman 6 423 01-22-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.