Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal mask to Facial mask increases the AHI a lot
Nasal mask to Facial mask increases the AHI a lot
Hello to all

Someone in my family is using a Resmed S10 (as I do). She has a humidifer.
She was using a nasal mask, and the results were amazing (AIH always below 1). But at the same time, she had quite some leaks (around 12 l/min), and also a very dry mouth.

So she asked for a facial mask to try, and she did try for 4 days

I managed to get her Remed files remotely into my Oscar software, and this is what I saw :
With the facial mask, the AIH immediately jumped to values between 8 and 11, of which 3to 4 are unclassified apnea and 2 to 3 OA. And also the total time in apnea jumped up 15 to 30 minutes
The leak rate also jumped to 60
her mouth is even drier than before.

I noticed that the EPR is set to 1, and Ramp only

So tonight she decided to go back to the nasal mask, considering the facial mask is not for her.

Any idea of why going from nasal to facial mask could trigger such differences?
Do you think that the facial mask could be a solution to her dry mouth?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal mask to Facial mask increases the AHI a lot
The success of either nasal, pillows, or even full face is partly dependent on leak rates. Mouth leaks may cause dryness of mouth due to airflow. I think either leak type can cause errors in accuracy of PAP therapy and reporting. And different individuals will be more or less irritated by leaks; each person reacts differently.

Depending on which leak type you're dealing with depends on what method to solve them. If it's mask leaks, then gaining better fit and proper adjustments are needed. Mouth leaks either need to master the tongue suck seal, maybe taping the mouth, a strap, or maybe going full face.

I do believe the PAP therapy is only as good as your mask fit and leak control allow it. If one has a continual leak then treatment may be hindered and it may affect accuracy in reporting and therapy.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have a high leak you do not register apnea events correctly. I went from a pillow masks to full face (ResMed F30) and my leaks went down to almost 0 and the apnea went down also - I’m not sure just how much because of my high leakage with the pillows.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Every person is different. Some people manage with full face, some with nasal pillows. If one doesn't work, try something else. I use nasal pillows because it minimizes the contact that my face has with the mask and straps. Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 40 9 hours ago
Last Post: coffee9724
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 88 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,583 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 99 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 145 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 120 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 526 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.