Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal mask without forehead pad
Nasal mask without forehead pad
I have been trying to use CPAP since April 3, mostly with a Swift FX mask. Due to fear of suffocation, many nights I just can't bring myself to use it, and often find in the morning that I have ripped it off my face in the middle of the night. Plus, Sleepyhead reports a lot of leakage - 25 to 50 or so. I am thinking of trying a nasal mask, but would much prefer not to have something in front of my eyes, and I know a tube going up over my head would be intolerable.Sad

My good friend Mr. Google found the Probasics Zzz-Mask SG, but not much information about it. I spent a lot of time asking Mr. Google about other nasal masks and he failed to come up with much information, especially pictures. Are there nasal masks that don't require a forehead pad? If so, recommendations? Experiences? TIA Shy
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal mask without forehead pad
The Resmed Quattro FX is a full face mask but it does not have the forehead piece. The Mirage FX nasal mask does have the forehead piece but it is small an unobtrusive. My GF uses the Mirage FX for her. The mask is very small and she is able to watch TV, etc without the forehead piece interfering.
Post Reply Post Reply
Go to any CPAP dealer website and just scroll down their listings, looking at the images. Nearly all of them are shown on mannequin heads so you can see what they look like. You can use the suppliers list to explore.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2012, 12:08 PM)JJJ Wrote: My good friend Mr. Google found the Probasics Zzz-Mask SG, but not much information about it. I spent a lot of time asking Mr. Google about other nasal masks and he failed to come up with much information, especially pictures. Are there nasal masks that don't require a forehead pad? If so, recommendations? Experiences? TIA Shy

I like the ResMed Activa LT - though it still has the forehead pad. I thought I'd have a hard time getting used to having something in front of my eyes like that, but its not that intrusive really.

The mask is nice and light, and the way the seal works, it's almost loose when you don't have the air pressure on.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a Mirage FX nasal mask. It does have a forehead piece, but that piece has very little contact with your forehead. The forehead piece is concave on the inside, so that only its edges can touch. Yet, those edges barely touch because the headpiece straps attach to both sides so that only a small portion of those attachment straps actually are contact with your forehead. The forehead piece keeps the mask always perfectly centered on your face.

Besides the comfort and fit, what I also like about the mask is that about 6 vent holes surround the attachment elbow. There is no exhalation noise at all, although you can feel a bit of the exhaled air if your hands are close to the mask. The exhaust stream doesn't go out very far to be disturbing to anyone. The air tube attachment elbow swivels and easily separates from the rest of the mask by pressing in on two small buttons on the side of the elbow. This makes it easy to leave the mask and straps in place, should you need to make a bathroom trip during the night.

The Mirage is small enough to be able to easily sleep on your side or lay on your back and watch TV. The Mirage FX is is my first mask, so I have little with which to compare. However, I briefly tried the full face Quatro FX. I couldn't get as good a fit and I found that the exhaust flow was more restricted. Even with a CPAP of 7.0 I found it difficult to exhale against the resistance of that pressure and the more restricted venting. With the Mirage's FX's venting, exhalation was noticably more easy for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2012, 12:08 PM)JJJ Wrote: Are there nasal masks that don't require a forehead pad?
Resmed Mirage Vista
http://www.resmed.com/us/products/mirage...c=patients

Resmed Mirage Kidsta (child mask)
http://www.resmed.com/us/products/mirage...c=patients
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the helpful comments and links.

I searched all the suppliers and came up with the following possibilities:

Phantom (SleepNet)
Zzz-Mask SG (PMI Probasics)
Mirage Vista (Resmed)

The above list is my personal opinion based on the photos that are not always very good. If anyone is using any of the above and cares to comment, I'd appreciate the feedback. :grin:

Edit: Well that was weird. While typing the above "S l e e p N e t" appeared properly, but when it posted it turned into three asterisks. Is the company name censored?
Post Reply Post Reply
The software assumed it was a link and blocked it.

That Phantom looks odd. If claustrophobia is your issue, I would think it would be difficult for you. I find the nasal pillows to be much less claustrophobic than any nasal mask I have tried. But then my brother has said if he ever was diagnosed with sleep apnea, he would not even touch a nasal pillow. The idea of anything up his nose drives him nuts. Even when he has been in the hospital, he hated the oxygen cannula.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,223 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 450 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 338 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 482 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.