Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal obstruction and effectiveness CPAP
Nasal obstruction and effectiveness CPAP
Hello Everyone,

So I have a simple question: Can CPAP fight off nose congestion during the night and will therapy be effective if nose is obstructed? My nose is completely clogged during the night. Cant breath through it. I already use a ffm. I am seeing me ENT this week beceause I have a deviated septum. Are there folks here that have a clogged nose as well but CPAP opens up their sinusses?  

Thank you all !
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal obstruction and effectiveness CPAP
I found nasal pillows actually help me when my nose is stuffed up. More direct pressure helps to clear them out.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Walla Walla,

Thanks for your reply! Yes I tried nasal pillows and that actually cleared my nose but then I have the problem that I mouth breath. Also tried chin strap and taping it but because I use a relatively high pressure tape doesn't stay on its place. So I had to switch back to FFM...
Post Reply Post Reply
I was using a FFM but found CPAP closed my nasal passages and I couldn't breathe, swapping to nasal pillows opened the breathing up again.
Like you I suffer from very reactive soft tissue and small nasal passages so have always had trouble getting enough air in.

I also use a chin strap, that in combination with nasal pillows seems to work.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried a soft neck collar? It helps with chin tuck and keeps my mouth shut along with the tongue trick-ie pressing the tip of my tongue against the roof of my mouth.

I find that more helpful than a chin strap.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I find that the P10 nasal pillow mask helps keep the nasal passages clear, if I can get them clear before I put the mask on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried using a nasal/sinus rinse to help clean out your passage ways?  I use one of these rinses every morning and a nasal spray before bed each night (primarily to keep the nasal polyps at bay).
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2018, 04:47 PM)PollCat Wrote: Have you tried using a nasal/sinus rinse to help clean out your passage ways?  I use one of these rinses every morning and a nasal spray before bed each night (primarily to keep the nasal polyps at bay).

I use the NeilMed Sinus Rinse. I found it works better than a neti pot for me. I use it at night. If I remember, I try to use it at least a half hour before bed, to avoid any residual leaks/drips/runniness. If I am worried about colds/congestion, I use it in the morning as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
My nasal pillows do help keep my nasal passages open mainly. However recently I have been suffering quite badly with hay fever and also nasal congestion from a cold on top of that. Talk about insult to injury. So I have found that I have had to wake up in the middle of the night to have a good old blow out before strapping in my 'pillows ' and resuming my slumber.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know if a nasal pillow type mask will work for you, but for me it works.  I have major nasal allergies and am a mouth breather by day and a mouth breather by night due to swollen nasal passages.  But the pressure from my opens my nose up so I can wear my AutoPAP with nasal pillow mask at night with no problem. In my case, I think the micron filter is removing allergens from the air I get via APAP, and I think that helps my nasal congestion.  I do use Flonase nasal spray daily, take Allergra D before bed each night, take Benadryl pretty often, and on really bad days I use Afrin before bed.  I limit the Afrin use to 1 or 2 nights  per week because it can really cause nasal swelling if you use it too much.

I think your best bet is to talk to your doctor and get his/her opinion as to whether a nasal pillow type would work for you.  Also, you may be able to get one to try out before you purchase.

I got a kick out of my Dr last week.  He looks up my nose, looked a bit startled and said, "Oh, my!"  I said, "Did you find a booger, Doc?"  He laughed and said, "If you've got a booger up there, I'd never find 'cause your nose is swollen shut."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 314 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 146 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 137 34,761 01-17-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 861 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Nasal Surgery and CPAP tolerance Norman2195 6 706 12-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Do nasal cpap help to not breath through mouth? hejohoo 10 1,422 09-19-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Using Nasal Strips along with Nasal mask or pillows Bostonsnow 6 1,156 07-18-2023, 07:09 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.