Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal opening implants?
Nasal opening implants?
This past week I had an appointment with my repertory therapist and she was informing me of this new procedure for CPAP users:  nasal opening implants.   These are custom form fitted to the nostril openings and then are (for lack of a better term) crazy glued just inside the nose.  It is a cement like crazy glue and is similar to the nu-skin stuff like one would use on a cut instead of a band-aid... that stuff is essentially crazy glue.  This new implant uses a similar cement but not as smelly to cement the custom formed pieces of tube just inside the nose.  The excess is trimmed off flush with the surface of the nostril.

The neat thing about this she was telling me, is that a custom made CPAP pillow can be made to attached to these to use for sleeping that requires no headgear!   The bad thing is that it is a hard plastic and will not allow one to pick their nose because it will not allow one to insert a digit.

Not sure if I want to try this procedure since my current set-up works really good.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal opening implants...?
I'm not aware of any device of this sort that is approved for sleep apnea or that would achieve results in individuals with OSA that would be considered adequately treated. If you have a name (not link), we could research further, but there are any number of things that you can stick up your nose like Provent, that have a pretty sorry comparison to CPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I understand racing drivers and jet pilots can get these implants made in carbon fibre for low weight and high strength.

I very much like the thought of attaching the CPAP direct to the implant and doing away with the headgear. Unfortunately the inability to pick one's nose could be a game-breaker for many people.
Post Reply Post Reply
I need to have the ability to pick my nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK... a day later- I was just having some fun for April Fool's day. I know of no such device as I made it up, but who knows... maybe someone might come up with such a device.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a mask called the No Mask which is a nasal pillows mask that's held in place by a boil-and-bite mouth guard. There are no head gear straps.

While the idea of a nasal implant seems weird, it would be nice to have custom fitted masks. They would require a lot less strap tension.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Update- I just read the same company is making a custom nose picking device available. Problem solved Big Grin
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 862 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Using Nasal Strips along with Nasal mask or pillows Bostonsnow 6 1,156 07-18-2023, 07:09 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal Dilators st1800e 9 1,392 06-19-2023, 07:16 AM
Last Post: st1800e
  Nasal Congestion Rgn3 16 1,482 05-08-2023, 03:17 PM
Last Post: hopeforusall
  [Pressure] Nasal IrritTion? NannyRobina 2 613 06-20-2022, 09:30 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Opening mouth with P10? rogerncormier74 23 1,820 04-10-2022, 09:47 PM
Last Post: rogerncormier74

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.